Condolences From Ireland - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Condolences From Ireland

TheBoysinGreen

What is your problem with the Irish posters ? They have done nothing wrong and haven't engaged in any baiting or anti-scottish nonsense of any kind ?

Is this board just for Scots and everyone else can feck off then ? "We don't want them round here".

If we had qualified I doubt there would be a congratulations thread.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading through this post I just can't decide if we are great or shite, or if Ireland should do great or shite tonight! Football fans tend to go for polar opposite extremes when it comes to forming opinions, so here's my attempt at a balanced view..

We're pretty decent, but have a self destructive mindset. We should keep doing what we're doing in general, always aiming to improve technically along the way, but cut out the stupid banana skin slip up game which we have in every campaign. I find the idea that we stop trying to pass the ball pretty ridiculous. In general we're playing slightly better football under Strachan, but I don't understand why all the talk of us having a great optimistic campaign was sustained for so long. I think we were having a decent campaign from the outset, which turned to shite when we bottled it in Georgia (and arguable Ireland). You need to take a campaign by the scruff of the neck and we never really did that.

I'd prefer Poland to win tonight simply because it'll be embarrassing for Scotland if Ireland make it along with the British teams. I have nothing against Ireland and envy the position that they're now in. But at the end of the day we put them there by losing in Georgia.

As for the original post, it's a bit bitter sweet. The OP is putting out a mixed message which is a bit like lighting a fuse. Such is the nature of football, if you go on an opposing team's forum you're inevitably gonna find some messages slagging your team. I'm sure if I joined the Irish forum I'd see a few negative posts about Scotland. The question is why would I go to the trouble?

Edited by Dogbiscuit

We put ourselves there by beating Germany at home, drawing away and Georgia away and if we win tonight we will put ourselves in 2nd and deservedly so based on all of those results, the scots put us where we are, laughable!

I'm not discrediting that. Your victory over Germany deserves congratulating. But when we lost to Georgia we took ourselves out of the driving seat and took our fate out of our owns hands and handed it to the Irish who deservedly took it. Well done! But had we not slipped up to Georgia you wouldn't have had that opportunity.

I'm not discrediting that. Your victory over Germany deserves congratulating. But when we lost to Georgia we took ourselves out of the driving seat and took our fate out of our owns hands and handed it to the Irish who deservedly took it. Well done! But had we not slipped up to Georgia you wouldn't have had that opportunity.

Well, if Scotland had beaten Georgia, that would leave the team on 15, three behind Ireland and with a better head-to-head. Assuming Ireland's other results stayed the same, Ireland would still have it in their own hands to do the business tonight. It would be a tougher ask without the safety net of the playoff, but still.

Well, if Scotland had beaten Georgia, that would leave the team on 15, three behind Ireland and with a better head-to-head. Assuming Ireland's other results stayed the same, Ireland would still have it in their own hands to do the business tonight. It would be a tougher ask without the safety net of the playoff, but still.

No it would have changed the whole dynamics of the group. It would have meant Germany would not yet have qualified automatically so they would have had more to play for the other night and their approach to that match would have been much different.

50p on a Georgia win at 66-1.

Would be quite funny if Ireland and Poland went through and the Germans ended up in the Playoffs.

What would happen about our 4th place if Georgia win and we lose or does nobody care anymore? How would they separate us? The ranking would be affected I suppose.

Teams slip up in Groups....in most cases this happens alot......particulary teams like Ireland and Scotland where we do not have world class players.

Yes ....Scotland slipped up in Georgia , ye also slipped up against Poland at home

Equally Ireland Slipped up against 2 of our direct competitors (Scotland and Poland) in our Dublin matches.....thats not saying we deserved to win those games.....but the general rule is , you need to win your home games to qualify directly from the Group, so in that sense we slipped up.....as I think back then no-one could see us beating Germany at Home (myself included)..

Scotland are most certainly not a bad side.....there is very little between Scotland and both Poland and ROI (at least one of which will qualify for the Euros)

I appreciate the downbeat mood at the moment due to ye not qualifying...as i have experienced it many times with Ireland but I dont think ye are in as bad as a situation as many of ye believe ye are in.

Ye were good enough to go unbeaten against Poland and Ireland and that is something ye can definitely use a positive going into yere next campaign.

If ireland had tried play germany at their own game then we would not have got 4 points out of 6 against them and we would now be on the verge of being knocked out instead of qualifying. The way we played against Germany (while not pretty) , was effective , we dont have the players to play an open passing game against that status of opposition and to be honest , neither do Scotland and maybe thats what ye need to take into account for the next campaign.

Lots of Stuff on here about strachan........as a football fan... i have been generally impressed with him. I would be of the opinion that ye need to keep Strachan......stability is what ye need. He may have made mistakes, but most managers do make mistakes (including our own) in their first campaigns in international football. It took Michael O'Neill over 10 games to win his first game as Northern Ireland manager and look at what he has achieved with the North cos they stuck with him. Also take a look at chris coleman , lots of welsh fans wanted him fired after the last campaign. Things can change very quickly in football and that should not be forgotten.

Cheers!

GTR - definitely feel that the majority of the fans want Strachan to remain in charge. I for one certainly hope he does. Yes, we have failed to qualify but there has been a definite upturn in performances and there is genuine hope and some of the goals we have scored in this campaign have been terrific, particularly the two the other night and Maloney's against Ireland at Parkhead. The big difference is that Ireland have managed to pick up decent points on the road, unfortunately we haven't. And of course taking 4 points from 6 from those bloody Germans.

Teams slip up in Groups....in most cases this happens alot......particulary teams like Ireland and Scotland where we do not have world class players.

Yes ....Scotland slipped up in Georgia , ye also slipped up against Poland at home

Now we're getting into what you define as a 'slip up'. Poland was a sickener, but I wouldn't call drawing 2-2 with them a slip up because they are a better team. And I wouldn't say that ROI slipped up against Scotland because IMO we are a slightly better team. Georgia on the other hand is a game we should have won. A potential banana skin for every team in our group. But once again it was us who slipped on it.

And the point is, Scotland always slip up to a shiter team on paper!

Now we're getting into what you define as a 'slip up'. Poland was a sickener, but I wouldn't call drawing 2-2 with them a slip up because they are a better team. And I wouldn't say that ROI slipped up against Scotland because IMO we are a slightly better team. Georgia on the other hand is a game we should have won. A potential banana skin for every team in our group. But once again it was us who slipped on it.

And the point is, Scotland always slip up to a shiter team on paper!

My logic would be most fans and management of Ireland, Scotland and Poland......would have been to win their respective games at home against the other 2 of those teams in order to get automatic qualification .....as the 3 of us were direct competitors against each other....so in my view thats an area where Ireland and Scotland slipped up

Well thats my view on it anyway

cheers

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

If we had qualified I doubt there would be a congratulations thread.

I'm not so sure.

The Irish lads that have been posting on here seem pretty dound honest guys who know their football and, more importantly, know what about of friendly rivalry but mutual respect is all about.

Particularly grateful for their help when we travelled to Dublin

My logic would be most fans and management of Ireland, Scotland and Poland......would have been to win their respective games at home against the other 2 of those teams in order to get automatic qualification .....as the 3 of us were direct competitors against each other....so in my view thats an area where Ireland and Scotland slipped up

Well thats my view on it anyway

cheers

We were unbeaten in all those games, but slipped up to Georgia!

We were unbeaten in all those games, but slipped up to Georgia!

I know ye did.,,,and alot of positives should be taken from been unbeaten in those games ....as i said in my original post

But as ye slipped up in Georgia....ye needed to beat Poland at home....which ye didnt so ye slipped up in that too

If we cant agree on above then we will agree to disagree mate.

Cheers :ok: