Jordan Rhodes - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jordan Rhodes

stevenmcn

Why is this guy not our no 1 striker? Was listening to the radio going into work on Thursday night and the discussion was whether Fletcher of Griffiths should start. Really? Fletcher, I can sort of go with, being the Premiership striker, but has only scored 20 goals in the last 3 seasons and isn't exactly an automatic pick for a $hit Sunderland side. Griffiths has scored 52 goals in the last 4 seasons, including this season in a dominant team. And in the same time, Rhodes has scored 82 goals at a better level. And yes, the Championship is a better level than the Scottish Premiership. We should be building our side around this type of talent rather than playing him down cause he supposedly can't play a a link up striker. That system hasn't done us much good in the last 20 years.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fletcher was at the heart of every attack we had on Thursday. Won so many balls and knocked his pan in, topped with a fantastic goal. Deserves to be first pick.

If we want to play Jordan Rhodes we'll need to change our system. Which is fine, but that's why Fletch is first pick imho.

Rhodes is a natural goalscorer, Fletcher isn't. Seems the more time Fletcher has to think about what to do with the ball the less effective he is. Decent goal last night but through the rest of the campaign I think he's been pretty useless. I would have been more than happy to have seen Rhodes on instead.

Surely to goodness top class players have the intelligence to know how to play a series of different "systems". If I go to my work and my manager says go and do this or that several times during the day, I adjust! I cannae say that's too confusing or you get the bullet!!

If we were to start with say Fletcher and is wisnnae working then bring Rhodes intae play and change it around to suit, we would have an advantage, as it would take the opposition at 5-10 minutes to also adjust surely?

Sticking to the same system just lets them know how to play against st you in advance. We should know how to mix it up!!!

Surely to goodness top class players have the intelligence to know how to play a series of different "systems". If I go to my work and my manager says go and do this or that several times during the day, I adjust! I cannae say that's too confusing or you get the bullet!!

If we were to start with say Fletcher and is wisnnae working then bring Rhodes intae play and change it around to suit, we would have an advantage, as it would take the opposition at 5-10 minutes to also adjust surely?

Sticking to the same system just lets them know how to play against st you in advance. We should know how to mix it up!!!

It's about capabilities though. It's not just switching system. To use your analogy, it would be like you going to work and your boss saying, today, you're going to build a house. You know what a house is and what it looks like, but can you actually build one? No, you don't have the capability. (I'm kinda hoping you aren't an expert house builder).

I think Fletcher was our stand out best player on Thur night. Admittedly, it's taken an entire campaign, but he was good.

They were hidden away again :lol:

And she still has a year before she gets the Mrs accolade :D

I have my boots hidden away anaw ! :lol:

Enjoy your last year as a man. Marriage....I call it the Scotland syndrome.

Great start but it all fades away to shit ! :lol:

He needs to get his chance in the next campaign... I am wondering what Strachan's motives are for starting Fletcher last night, either letting him finish the campaign as the main striker before he gives someone else their chance or a statement that Fletcher will remain our main striker. I hope its the former and Rhodes steps in for fourth coming friendlies before the next campaign.

I was one who was always screaming for him to get a chance but Strachan doesn't see him as being better than what we have.

What's worse though is no premiership manager is willing to take a punt on him. Every transfer window I keep thinking they all can't be wrong?

I think they'd take a punt for 5-6 mil, but 12+ is too much to ask for a guy who's never played in the premier league. compare danny ings who went to liverpool for 9, wasnt it? his club has priced him out of the market at the moment. He's a bit silly for having signed a deal until 2019.. but there's not much he can do now except score goals, which is exactly what he's doing.

I think they'd take a punt for 5-6 mil, but 12+ is too much to ask for a guy who's never played in the premier league. compare danny ings who went to liverpool for 9, wasnt it? his club has priced him out of the market at the moment. He's a bit silly for having signed a deal until 2019.. but there's not much he can do now except score goals, which is exactly what he's doing.

That's the thing though. £12 million for a young goal scorer isn't expensive for a premiership club. If he is only worth say £6 million that's why he is still where he is and doesn't get a shout before our other strikers?

That's the thing though. £12 million for a young goal scorer isn't expensive for a premiership club. If he is only worth say £6 million that's why he is still where he is and doesn't get a shout before our other strikers?

No, it's not. but it's expensive for a championship player who's not a regular international. A player in that category is a gamble.

You can look at recent signings to see that ti's more than anyone is likely to pay.. Ings for 9mil. Origi (who has more caps and is 5 years younger) for 10mil. Charlie Austin has a comparable goals record to Rhodes and he had to play his way into the premier league. He got there and scored nearly 20 goals there last season and no one's willing to pay 15 for him. 12m for Rhodes is too much and no one in their right mind will pay it. Given that he's tied himself to Blackburn long term and they're going nowhere fast (and struggling with financial fair play rules), it's hard to see how he can progress his career, get into the premier league and force his selection at international level. We have to just hope that the manager is willing to try something new in a new campaign.

Whoever advised Rhodes to extend his contract with blackburn (regardless of the wages) did him no favours at all imo.

and worth mentioning.. Rhodes isnt young anymore. He's 25. So he has 2.. maybe 3 tournaments left. :/

Edited by andyD