I Hope Strachen Stays - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I Hope Strachen Stays

bonny78

i remember 2004 ish when we wanted rid of Berti and some president of the TA had asked to sack Berti and appoint Gordon Strachen instead (or at least offer him the job).

We got our wish eventually although i must admit we have had good managers since then in Smith and Mcleish, (levein can lick my nads) but now everyone wants rid of him after one campaign!

If he wants to stay and have another go he should be allowed to since he's under contract.

There are only a handful of games so sometimes short term unluckiness can affect things i.e. how come ireland managed to come good v Germany and we were narrowly defeated by them both times? grrr.

Early part of this campaign was alright, good performance away to world champions, beating Georgia and Ireland, good point in Poland,.. End fell away but we are only a little nation.

Looking forward to the next one I hope Gordon stays and learns.

i remember 2004 ish when we wanted rid of Berti and some president of the TA had asked to sack Berti and appoint Gordon Strachen instead (or at least offer him the job).

We got our wish eventually although i must admit we have had good managers since then in Smith and Mcleish, (levein can lick my nads) but now everyone wants rid of him after one campaign!

If he wants to stay and have another go he should be allowed to since he's under contract.

There are only a handful of games so sometimes short term unluckiness can affect things i.e. how come ireland managed to come good v Germany and we were narrowly defeated by them both times? grrr.

Early part of this campaign was alright, good performance away to world champions, beating Georgia and Ireland, good point in Poland,.. End fell away but we are only a little nation.

Looking forward to the next one I hope Gordon stays and learns.

Strachan did well when he came in, but I think we've gone backwards in the last few years. I think his contract finishes tomorrow though.

You can moan about being unlucky and getting no points from the Germany games; but we scored two deflected goals giving us 3 points against Georgia and 1 against Ireland.

You can argue that our game in Poland was a good point, but we were leading and should have seen them out (that goes for home game too).

We might well be a little nation, but we're bigger than Iceland, Wales, N. Ireland.

On Thursday the Poles were looking for the equaliser right until the final whistle. Even the goalkeeper came up for the free kick.

Last month in Georgia we couldn't have looked less interested in searching for our equaliser. That says it all really.

Strachan did well when he came in, but I think we've gone backwards in the last few years. I think his contract finishes tomorrow though.

You can moan about being unlucky and getting no points from the Germany games; but we scored two deflected goals giving us 3 points against Georgia and 1 against Ireland.

You can argue that our game in Poland was a good point, but we were leading and should have seen them out (that goes for home game too).

We might well be a little nation, but we're bigger than Iceland, Wales, N. Ireland.

On Thursday the Poles were looking for the equaliser right until the final whistle. Even the goalkeeper came up for the free kick.

Last month in Georgia we couldn't have looked less interested in searching for our equaliser. That says it all really.

Agree 100 % with this.

Also add in Dublin last 20 mins Ireland were there for the taking.

Left themselves exposed at the back if Griffiths had replaced a useless Fletcher his pace along with Anya could have given us a chance of 3 points

Edited by stewarty66

I agree and so does Kenny Dalglish. In his words fans must be mad if they think we are going to get anyone better.

The pluses of keeping Strachan are:-

He is the first manager we have had since Smith where the players will run through brick walls for and discipline is far better and call-offs are now rare.

He restored hope right up until the Georgia game and even up until full-time the other night qualification hopes were still flickering allbeit faintly.

I have absolutely no faith in the SFA appointing anyone other than a Jimmy Calderwood, Bobby Williamson or Mark McGhee type manager. No thanks.

However, Strachan has to look to change things and adapt or else the next campaign will be similar in nature and result. He must be more flexible in his thought patterns. By this I mean he has to be willing to change formations when matches call for it going with two strikers up front or playing with wingbacks for example. Sticking rigidly to 4-4-1-1 won't do. He also needs to show more faith in a wider range of players. The old faithfuls are not always the answer and shouldn't be undroppable ie Brown, Hutton, Fletcher, Morrison, Marshall and such-like. More flexible Gordon please.

this. that is something that strachen can work on.

this. that is something that strachen can work on.

It doesn't help when Strachan comes out with drivel in his pre and post match interviews.

Georgia was a must win game.

We're capable of beating anyone at Hampden on our day, but the result in Georgia meant had to beat the World Champions and then a Polish team with one of the best in-form strikers in Europe.

he won't wanna go when he's got 2 exciting derby matches coming up next campaign.

2 matches where we will be completely outclassed and horsed ?

Agree. It is all to do with the manager it is the players. We just aren't good enough. The only way we are going to qualify in future is if we finally get an easy group.

Strachan is too cautious. The strikers are never going to score goals if we don't create enough chances.

He's guilty of picking players on reputation rather than form. He has no plan B. So I think much of the blame rests with the manager. It's his job to get the best out of the players we have.

That being said, we don't have the best crop of players at the moment. I remember when McFadden was getting a regular game for Scotland - every time he got the ball he looked a threat. We don't have any player like that at the moment.

I'd let him go, he doesn't seem as interested in job now as he was at the start. only problem is there is no obvious Scottish replacement

Totally disagree on your first point. Totally agree on the second point. As Kenny Dalglish said yesterday fans must be mad if they think they are going to get anyone better than Strachan to take over.

this

Totally disagree on your first point. Totally agree on the second point. As Kenny Dalglish said yesterday fans must be mad if they think they are going to get anyone better than Strachan to take over.

Totally agree on your response to Louch

There has been improvement under WGS but the last year hasn't been great in terms of performance. I'd like to think he will reflect and learn from where we faltered. It's not like there are any outstanding characters waiting in the wings. The only thing I would add is whether he needs to freshen things up with his assistants.

Sometimes the wee fella is too clever for his own good and doesn't come across well at press conferences but I think the biggest test of a manager at any level is how those he manages rate him.

I'd stick by him. The margin of error at international level is ridiculously small and we had one poor game away at Georgia and one disappointing performance in Ireland when we managed a draw. I was one of many that was gutted for the players after Thursday...

Edited by Angusfifer

2 replacements that I can think of that might want the job if asked would be Dalgleish and Joe Jordan.

Would they have done better than Strachan?

I like Strachan but he is maybe to headstrong for his own good. We were absolutely shocking v Georgia, our competition (ROI and Poland) took 6 points from 2 games, our competition took points off the world champions.

We havent kicked on as much as I thought since the Gibraltar game and we dont deserve a play off place, yes the players gave it all but so did the fans