Steven Fletcher - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Fletcher

Dillinger

I will be the first to admit that I may have been harsh on him. 7 goals in the campaign is a decent return however it could have been 12 if he had taken his chances not only against Gibraltar but ROI, Poland and Georgia.

Well done Fletcher on bagging another hat trick, I now hope he can keep this form going for club and country

I think over the course he has proven his critics wrong this campaign. Folk will write off his accomplishments as goals against minnows, but he also scored what could have been a massive goal on Thursday and contributed with assists too.

Agreed.He plays as a Forward (as opposed to a striker) & his role is holding up the ball, bringing others into the game in the last 3rd and creating chances for runners from deep (Anya v Germany). He can score goals too, but not as many as a Griffiths/Rhodes might. He's in the team because we create more with him up front than we would with either of the others.

Have I been critical yes have I complimented his goals/assists if not I will fully acknowledge the contribution he has made to this campaign BUT he could have been so much more. How many chances did he fluff, a few games where he dissapered for much of the game. For me he was just to inconsistent and off form when we needed him most. Don't know if I blame him or wgs for his bad games but then we don't see how he got on in training

Sometimes it just become fashionable to pick on a player - media start it and people, too lazy to think for themselves, just jump on the bandwagon - easier to go with the flow than fight a tide of opinion

Gary McAllister got it towards the end of his time with Scotland, Gary Caldwell too

I think over the course he has proven his critics wrong this campaign. Folk will write off his accomplishments as goals against minnows, but he also scored what could have been a massive goal on Thursday and contributed with assists too.

Will hold my hands up here. I referred to him as 'dung' before Thursday's game.

Played well in both matches this week and delighted to see him bag another hat trick.

Sometimes it just become fashionable to pick on a player - media start it and people, too lazy to think for themselves, just jump on the bandwagon - easier to go with the flow than fight a tide of opinion

Gary McAllister got it towards the end of his time with Scotland, Gary Caldwell too

To be fair Caldwell was p1sh!

Think Fletcher had a good game against good opposition on Thur night, he played well again tonight.

Has he turned in better performances for Scotland over the last 10 months than he did over the last 5 years ? Yes, undoubtedly. That's not hard though.

Is he the player that will help take Scotland onto the 'next level' ? No, I doubt it.

Aside from the fact that he's remarkably one footed and isn't really a natural goalscorer, It's not necessarily his fault. Scotland are stuck in the Kenny Miller mode.....where we play constantly with one person up front working his nuts off, with a gaggle of midfielders supporting.

Every other goal-scoring forward who can't play that role...Rhodes, McCormack, Griffiths...is discarded in favour of the hard-worker who holds the ball.

We're too scared to try something different... and with Fletcher being played in the role that he is, I doubt very much if we're ever going to score the goals to win the big matches.

Has he turned in better performances for Scotland over the last 10 months than he did over the last 5 years ? Yes, undoubtedly. That's not hard though.

Is he the player that will help take Scotland onto the 'next level' ? No, I doubt it.

Aside from the fact that he's remarkably one footed and isn't really a natural goalscorer, It's not necessarily his fault. Scotland are stuck in the Kenny Miller mode.....where we play constantly with one person up front working his nuts off, with a gaggle of midfielders supporting.

Every other goal-scoring forward who can't play that role...Rhodes, McCormack, Griffiths...is discarded in favour of the hard-worker who holds the ball.

We're too scared to try something different... and with Fletcher being played in the role that he is, I doubt very much if we're ever going to score the goals to win the big matches.

You're making it sound like fletcher is ahead of those 3 guys because he puts in a shift. (I'm glad that has been acknowledged as it is often overlooked about fletcher- no-one works harder than him during s game), but his ability technically as a football player is far superior to any of those three, so to suggest he's only in there for his endeavour is a little harsh

Sorry but I disagree with the lot of you, to finish the campaign on 7 goals would normally be brilliant..... Until you consider 6 of them came against Gibraltar, his work rate in most of the games was non existent like in Georgia for example, at home to Ireland and Germany. The amount or chances he missed was criminal because he isn't brave enough to get on the end of them, I'm sure I'll get pelters for this but I'm certainly not the only one who thinks it.

Partly what's going on is the classic football fan thing that whenever a player isn't playing and the guy who is picked isn't in a brilliant run of form, the fella on the bench suddenly becomes the best player in the world and its somehow unthinkable that he's not starting.

Christ, same thing happened with S Fletcher not so long ago.

To listen to people on here, Rhodes, Griffiths and McCormack would be scoring every game. When you look at what they've done in their career compared to Fletcher, it seems obvious that they would get a largely comparable or possibly worse return.

That's a fair point however I would say that Rhodes is more of a natural goal scorer that Fletcher and works harder. Easy to elevate those on the bench but would still say that Fletchers big chance was against Georgia and he went in with his wrong foot and didn't even look like he believed he could get there

Its two very different things to be an impact striker off the bench or a main striker backed by the manager. You cant judge Rhodes on 20 odd minutes against Georgia and if anything it was us that were tiring... Rhodes needs a run of games up front to get him ready for the next campaign

Exactly. This annoyed me when WGS said this. A goalscorer is there to score goals not hold the ball up and be a physical presence.

Fletcher is, for me, our best bet in a one up front team. Holds up the ball well, links play well. He is prone to missing chances, sometimes sitters though.

He's the number one guy and that's fair enough. The problem comes behind that, because Chris Martin seems preferred as back up despite being,to my eyes, far worse than Griffiths, Rhodes and about 4 others.

Guest BlueGaz

Fletcher is not the issue with this one, its Strachan. Fletcher will live off a couple of moments of brilliance, but for me, we have had other in-form strikers this campaign and they haven't been given a chance, and ........ we are out again. Play in-form players, leave those not in-form on the bench. Maybe Strachan was worried he would take a huff again, I don't know, but there are just as good if not better options you could incorporate, and we didn't take the chance.

Guest BlueGaz

Partly what's going on is the classic football fan thing that whenever a player isn't playing and the guy who is picked isn't in a brilliant run of form, the fella on the bench suddenly becomes the best player in the world and its somehow unthinkable that he's not starting.

Christ, same thing happened with S Fletcher not so long ago.

To listen to people on here, Rhodes, Griffiths and McCormack would be scoring every game. When you look at what they've done in their career compared to Fletcher, it seems obvious that they would get a largely comparable or possibly worse return.

Disagree with you. Classic football fans can see when players are in-form and when players are out of form. Why consistently choose those out, over those in? Its a classic football fk up if you ask me. And we are out. It couldnt have been any worse by picking in form players could it?