Euro 2016 Qualifying - The Post Mortem - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2016 Qualifying - The Post Mortem

McDange

At the start of the campaign I think we all knew it would be a case of us and Republic or Ireland battling it out for 3rd place. Unfortunately we lost that battle. But why?

Once again it was result in Tbilisi that was proven to be decisive in the campaign. Coupled with failure to see through both games against Poland and other results not going "our way" means the tournament exile continues.

Another roller coaster ride with you all on the TAMB.

Until next time.

Edited by McDange

At the start of the campaign I think we all knew it would be a case of us and Republic or Ireland battling it out for 3rd place. Unfortunately we lost that battle. But why?

Once again it was result in Tbilisi that was proven to be decisive in the campaign.

Even a win in Tbilisi might not have been enough, drawing in Ireland and at home to Poland als cost us.

We up every time because the team and management think it's ok to draw away from home or draw with our nearest rivals. You have to go out to win if you really want to qualify

Anyway, strachan says this was a special campaign. special isn't the word I'd use to describe another failure.

I actually think we as fans are part of the problem, we blindly follow the team regardless of each outcome without so much as an angry word said after the game. The sfa know this and will continue to be happy treading water till we make our voices heard or vote with our feet and don't turn up.

Edited by vanderark14

Once again it was result in Tbilisi that was proven to be decisive in the campaign. Coupled with failure to see through both games against Poland and other results not going "our way" means the tournament exile continues.

As I just said on the other thread, it wasn't necessarily Tbilisi - 3 points in Dublin would have achieved the same.

It all comes down to where we under-performed and that stuck out like a sore thumb - away to Georgia. Prior to the group beginning we would have all taken four points from our matches against Ireland which we did so wouldn't put too much onus on our draw in Dublin. Letting two leads V Poland slip and two draws V Germany slip also cost us.

I doubt if anyone thought Ireland would take 4 from Germany. Our game in Georgia and the strange performance in Dublin are the 2. I was counting up the goals we've scored and against whom, Georgia we scored 1 (pretty jammy) goal. All the others were 3,4 or 12 :) Now, there was something about Georgia that we couldn't deal with and it's obvious..we couldn't play counter attack. That's the Plan B we need, fast, because Slovenia&Slovakia will pose exactly the same problem.

I doubt if anyone thought Ireland would take 4 from Germany. Our game in Georgia and the strange performance in Dublin are the 2. I was counting up the goals we've scored and against whom, Georgia we scored 1 (pretty jammy) goal. All the others were 3,4 or 12 :) Now, there was something about Georgia that we couldn't deal with and it's obvious..we couldn't play counter attack. That's the Plan B we need, fast, because Slovenia&Slovakia will pose exactly the same problem.

For me Mark McGhee should be bending Strachan's ear and imploring we use two strikers in some matches. He was a striker as a player and he should be putting this point across in the coaching staff's post mortems.

As I just said on the other thread, it wasn't necessarily Tbilisi - 3 points in Dublin would have achieved the same.

You are correct, but who expected us to take three points in Dublin, but not Georgia? Losing in Tblisi when all our rivals won there cost us a play off spot.

Aye some really unfortunate surprising results outwith our control. My feeling is that we weren't consistent enough if we'd have played the same in the rest of the campaign as we did v Germany away I don't think we'd have had a problem getting at least a playoff. I kind of have this niggling feeling that WGS is too "nice" to the players, he obviously has his favourites when I think there is better (Forrest & S FLetcher in particular). He has irritated me a little with his attitude, comes across as having that "if you are not in football you know nothing about it!", that'll be the "real people" comment encapsulated. Comes across a bit arrogant BUT saying that, I wouldn't want to see him go.

Away in Georgia, and failing to win at home against Poland were the key moments.

I didn't celebrate the draw in Dublin, but felt it was a good result, like the one in Warsaw was.

Hampden isn't much of a fortress either. That needs to be recitifed. We started porly and nervy in both the recent matches.

Our defence isn't very tight. The difference between us and Ireland is minimal, although they have a slick defence who soak up pressure better. We look erratic and amateurish at times back there.

For the next campaign - we need to be much more assertive in the 'key' games. That's lesser ranked teams away - Malta, Lithuania, and possibly Slovenia. Whilst winning the key home games - Slovakia, Slovenia, and hopefully either taking 1 or 3pts off England.

The encouraging aspect, for me, is that the team looks capable of scoring goals (the truly abominable performance away to Georgia excepted). What I would like to see us get back into the habit of now is not conceding so easily. We need to rediscover that Craig Brown era 'hard tae beat' mentality.

The side is starting age too, which is a concern. Key players like Scott Brown, Darren Fletcher, Alan Hutton and Shaun Maloney are all 30 or over and Steven Fletcher, Russell Martin, Charlie Steven Naismith can't be far off. There are signs of young talent coming through though, like Andrew Robertson, Matt Ritchie and Johnny Russell. Hopefully the likes of Stuart Armstrong, Tam Cairney, Ryan Fraser, Ryan Gauld and Callum Paterson will continue to make progress and I'd throw James Forrest in there too, if he can turn in more performances like the one on Thursday.

Polska we Love you !!!

Come on you boys in white and red for our country for our White Eagle for all the Poles working abroad make us proud !!!!

Proud.,,Proud !!! Lato 74 Boniek 82 and Lewandowski now is your time to show the world the Polish spirit and courage to fight for the Euro trophy.

Thank you our boys !!!

Post mortem, and some of the Tartan Army wanted to concentare on Fotball, and Poland tonight showed we desereved to go the Euro, Lewandowski our Leader like Lato and Boniek,google it if u do not know what I am talking about !!

Post mortem, and some of the Tartan Army wanted to concentare on Fotball, and Poland tonight showed we desereved to go the Euro, Lewandowski our Leader like Lato and Boniek,google it if u do not know what I am talking about !!

Cant argue with that... Polska zasługuje , my nie