Squad For Next Campaign - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Next Campaign

g@un

I know we have just finished this campaign, but perhaps we can start to think about next time round? Basically who would be in your next WC 2018 squad?

I'll start this off, I've included age as of next September:

Possible 26 man squad vs. Malta

Gordon (33)

McGregor (34)

Marshall (31)

Hutton (31)

Caddis (28)

Robertson (22)

Shinnie (25)

Hanley (24)

Martin (30)

Wilson (24) - he may be playing top flight football if things continue, I still rate him.

Berra (31)

McArthur (28)

Dorrans (29)

Morrison (30)

Brown (31)

Mulgrew (30)

Gauld (20) - If he progresses

Ritchie (will have just turned 27)

Anya (28)

Forrest (25)

Snodgrass (will have just turned 29) - hopefully he is the same player as before, a sore miss last campaign

Fletcher (29)

Griffiths (26)

Rhodes (26)

Russell (26)

Naismith (will have just turned 30)

Average age of just under 28 so not too old.

Darren Fletcher may still be around, and younger players like Jack, MacLeod, Souttar, Bain, Fraser etc will all hopefully be there or thereabouts.

Edited by g@un

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never really thought Caddis was good enough but haven't seen him for a few years, think Bain could be worth including from now on at cost of Mcgregor, need a young goalie in and around squad. The lad Cooper at Leeds is worth scouting definitely, and I think Jack by then will have really staked his claim and be in squad. Callum Paterson if he improves slightly defensively should be first choice right back, I'd also be tempted to bring back Bardsley, always very impressed by him. Think ryan fraser and ryam christie will also be in squad by then as both seem to be improving drastically at the moment. Hopefully Gauld as you say really begins to come on between now and then. Tony Watt another that will hopefully have a big year. Any friendlies between now and then should see at least 1, possibly 2 of those lads get some game time with others experiencing the squad. It's time to bleed in some youth.

Not convinced Caddis is even in the top 3 of right backs we have, his club are certainly doing miserably this season and he'll be lucky not to be a league one player next season. Paterson's at Hearts is showing promise and LIam Palmer's was part of a fairly tight Sheffield Wednesday defense last season (17 clean sheets).

Does Shinnie really warrant the call ahead of Forsyth?

Wilson, it's hard to say. His choices bother me. He had the chance to step up the SPL and test himself against better teams, but turned it down for an easy life and little to do in the SChampionship. Will have to wait and see whether he has the heart for actually competing at a good level, let alone international.

Dorrans. I'm still not convinced. Showed some willingness to try things against Gibraltar, but none of them really came off. If you can't make a difference against Gibraltar then.. sorry, but we need better.

Gauld, maybe. Wait and see. Still in the B team in Portugal, so still needs some time it seems.

Up front is a big question for me. We're not nearly clinical enough, we lack anticipation and positioning. I'm really struggling to be enthusiastic about Fletcher and Naismith up front now.

Forgot about Cooper. Watt definitely has the ability. In my eyes, Paterson is a wait and see type player. Bardsley is a good shout, although not convinced him and Strachan see eye to eye?

Others are Bannan, Phillips, Cairney and possibly Forsyth (although he bottled it in the Ireland game and looked a mess). Also Douglas if he has improved at Lech Poznan.

Hopefully Griffiths continues to fire and doesn't ruin things by doing something stupid off the field. He could step up for us.

Excited to see Harper at Brighton. He must be back to fitness soon? I really hope he is something different.

Bang on. If we can sort that out without affecting some of the decent attacking play that has been shown, then we should be fine.

Agree about Fletcher and Naismith, although both are important players at the minute, they aren't clinical enough in the big games. The onus is on the other forwards to be thinking about grasping the opportunity when it comes. We need a striker who can score at least 7 or 8 in a campaign, with those coming evenly against the bigger teams and not just 5-6 vs. the group minnows. Most of the successful nations have one, Kyle Lafferty did it for NI, Bale for Wales (not a striker but an immense focal point player for them). We're due one surely...

The attack is fine. The fact we concede too many is the issue here. In the past we have gone to Germany and won scoring once (Don Hutchison) and scored once at home and drew (year Miller scored) but we had more water tight or at least more secure defence. That really is the key. I think Greer has played nine or ten games for us and we have conceded just five goals. I don't buy lucky mascot pish and don't give a stuff how old he is. If he is shoring up goals then get him in.

Paterson is still very raw defensively, in particular up against tricky players. Gets squared up very easily and can be a bit rash in the tackle.

He will be there or thereabouts soon,as he's phenomenal in the air which is a huge boost at set pieces where we struggle and can run all day plus he's a big attacking threat.

Hutton has to still be right back for now though.

No thanks to lee Wallace.he doesn't currently playing for a big enough club...just because they will be back in the premier,he is surely at the back of the cue until he proves otherwise.

Paterson is still very raw defensively, in particular up against tricky players. Gets squared up very easily and can be a bit rash in the tackle.

He will be there or thereabouts soon,as he's phenomenal in the air which is a huge boost at set pieces where we struggle and can run all day plus he's a big attacking threat.

Hutton has to still be right back for now though.

Yeah I agree with Paterson although his progress in the last 12 months has been fantastic

Wilson on the other hand should be nowhere near the squad, was found out on any big games hearts had last season and there were not many hearts fans sorry to see him leave

Yeah I agree with Paterson although his progress in the last 12 months has been fantastic

Wilson on the other hand should be nowhere near the squad, was found out on any big games hearts had last season and there were not many hearts fans sorry to see him leave

Wilson is not perfect but he's still the closest thing to a centre half prospect we have so needs looked at.

We have Hanley, Martin, Berra and then nobody - Given the fact Greer is going to be 37 by the next campaign.

The under 21's have no centre halves you can see making the grade and Wilson is in the bracket of too old for them and maybe a bit off the full squad.

Grim times.

The big French lad destroyed Paterson on Saturday. He's got a lot to do.

Wilson is not perfect but he's still the closest thing to a centre half prospect we have so needs looked at.

We have Hanley, Martin, Berra and then nobody - Given the fact Greer is going to be 37 by the next campaign.

The under 21's have no centre halves you can see making the grade and Wilson is in the bracket of too old for them and maybe a bit off the full squad.

Grim times.

Not seen this player, but an intriguing one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3209579/Everton-set-sign-Partick-Thistle-starlet-Jack-Hendry-week.html

Yep that lad went to Wigan for a couple hundred thousand. Dont think he's had an Under 21 cap even? But one to keep on the radar - Gary caldwell can mentor him into a top centre half ;)

Joking aside we could do with a Gary Caldwell type player badly now!!

Grim times.

You haven't heard of Liam Cooper at Leeds Utd ?

I'll be interested in how the Rangers lads take the step up next season, Halliday,McKay & Wallace look good this year, Halliday & McKay in particular would be good inclusions IF they can handle the jump.

Andy Halliday ? International quality players don't get released by Bradford City, just as he was a few months ago.

Wallace is finished at international level. He looks good because he's been playing against semi-professionals most weeks. Robertson and Shinnie are well ahead of him.