Costa Rica/ Panama City - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Costa Rica/ Panama City

scottishgraham1971

Taking kids over there next year on holidays, anybody know who the main football teams are in San Jose and panama city, try and take in a game while over there, any info greatly appreciated

Been to panama many of times, i'm sure Tauro and Chorrilo are the best teams in Panama City, Chorillo have recently moved to a new stadium called maracana which is real nice stadium which is pretty central to panama city, it's along from costa cintera which i am sure you will come across. If you information on places to go out with Panama City let me know.

I'm going to Costa Rica in August. Was thinking of shifting to Brazil for Olympics but just got too good a deal in CR. Going to do a day trip to Nicaragua whilst there.

Have also looked into taking in a match in San Jose. Have you seen Stephen Fry's programme recently? - think it said CR was the happiest country in the world to live.

Went to Costa Rica in 2005 - great country & fantastic people.

Really friendly & very helpful.

Well apart from the maid who stole money from our hotel by removing every third note & the Americans who stole our camcorder when we changed rooms.

Wonderful country though & unbelievable wildlife everywhere you look.

San Jose wasn't so good but it's a city & very different from the rest of the country.

Most people we met, guide & driver especially were football daft.

Alajuelense were the top team when we were there but Saprissa from San Jose were the biggest & best supported club & only team with a ground capacity over 20,000.

Had to fly via Miami so if they're putting on direct flights now we will be back.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

All of these South and Central American countries seems to have several top flight sides that play in the main city (Asuncion in Paraguay has about 7 or 8 for example!!) although many of them are really quite small clubs with relatively low fan bases and quite small grounds too. This means there are a lot of 'derby' games. They mostly have their own stadia which are often very small and very poor but for derby games, which can often take place at a neutral venue or even the national stadium. There could be matches on in the city almost every evening depending on TV, etc.

San Jose has a few teams including Deportivo Saprissa who at the time were one of the bigger more successful clubs with a bigger support. My pal was living there for a wile and took me to see Saprissa home and away which was pretty mental both times. I am not sure they are quite such a top side at the moment though with fortunes dropping away a bit recently.

Hope that helps

Craigie