Holland - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Italy are the perfect example of sticking to what you are good at and not changing

For years they have went to World Cups and European Championships with arguably average squads and performed well

Yes they had a spell with individual talent like Baggio but that was against the grain & mainly their game has relied upon their defence and catenaccio

Italy are the perfect example of sticking to what you are good at and not changing

For years they have went to World Cups and European Championships with arguably average squads and performed well

Yes they had a spell with individual talent like Baggio but that was against the grain & mainly their game has relied upon their defence and catenaccio

Italy players are above average i would say - the whole squad tend to be technically good, skillfull. would walk into any scotland team

apart from that wee radge gattuso but he made up for it with hard graft

I assume you mean average by their standards?

Get what you mean though. When they won the WC recently I don't think a lot of people seen it coming.

Unless I'm mistaken, Germany and Italy have never had a barren spell where they have failed to qualify for a tournament. In my memory I only recall Spain missing out on Euro 92. Think France missed out on both Euro 88 and WC 90 so I suppose that constitutes a spell. The Dutch missed out on 3 on the bounce from 82 to 86 inclusive.

Italy also missed out on Euro 92, CIS topped their qualifying group. France also missed out on USA 94.

Haven't checked the records but I think Portugal went a long time without qualifying for a worls cup, maybe 1986 - 2002?

I see Urugauy have gotten off to a flyer in the Souh American WC Qualifiers...

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/southamerica/

With a population of only 3.5 million they seem to consistently compete at the highest level, They just thrased Colombia (population 48 million) 3-0.

Too many people use the population of our country as an excuse/reason for failure. Craig Brown suggeseted on the radio the other night, that given the populations of our respective group opponents (germany, poland and eire) we should expect/be generally satisfied to finish behind them. This is absolute nonsense in my opinion, football is our national sport and we should not only be looking to compete, we should be aiming to actually WIN a major tournament.

Uruguay have won 2 x World Cups and a record 15 Copa Americas, I never hear them playing the 'we're too wee' argument.

Edited by Daz1982

That makes no sense if Craig Brown did say that. The population of the Republic of Ireland is smaller than Scotland

To be fair he did mention that ourselves and the Republic should have been fighting it out for 3rd place due to having similar populations.

Very true they've benefitted nicely from being an ex colonial power, as have Belgium, France and Portugal...

We're an ex colonial power and we get fk all benefit! England took all of that for themselves. All our immigrants prefer cricket. Typical. Anya doesn't even count because he's from modern immigration.

In all seriousness we do suffer because of that. Belgium are number 1 in the world on the back of their immigration.

Edited by thewelk

Only Germany have bucked the failure to Qualify trend since 1982

Third Place at World Cup Since 1982

3rd W.C Fail to Qualify for European Championships

Poland 1982 1984

France 1986 1988

Italy 1990 1992

Sweden 1994 1996

Croatia 1998 2000

Turkey 2002 2004

Germany 2006 & 2010 Qualified for 2008 and 2012

Holland 2014 2016

Excellent stats! Didn't realise the European stranglehold on World Cup 3rd place!

That makes no sense if Craig Brown did say that. The population of the Republic of Ireland is smaller than Scotland

Population of Republic may be smaller than Scotland but I'm pretty sure they have a bigger pool of players in that anyone born in N.Ireland is eligible and their 'diaspora' I would imagine is bigger than ours. What's galling is that Wales which has half the population not only have a decent football team but a consistenty excellent rugby team as well.

Population of Republic may be smaller than Scotland but I'm pretty sure they have a bigger pool of players in that anyone born in N.Ireland is eligible and their 'diaspora' I would imagine is bigger than ours. What's galling is that Wales which has half the population not only have a decent football team but a consistenty excellent rugby team as well.

New Zealand have a population of 'only' 4.5 million and yet continually produce world class rugby union national teams, this ofcourse is their national sport and they would expect nothing less.

Thinking about countries and their corresponding national sports, is there any nation who performs worse than us if you exclude small nations such as San Marino

You can see the likes of Luxembourg catching up with us - a team we have already been embarrassed by in the past

They were able to beat Macedonia at home at the start of the month for example

Yes they regularly get beat as they always have but their results have been getting better

Thinking about countries and their corresponding national sports, is there any nation who performs worse than us if you exclude small nations such as San Marino

You're not doing too bad. Scotland have been world champions in the men's game four times in the last 15 years. And curling's nowt to be ashamed of.

You can see the likes of Luxembourg catching up with us - a team we have already been embarrassed by in the past

They were able to beat Macedonia at home at the start of the month for example

Yes they regularly get beat as they always have but their results have been getting better

The "minnows" are much better now. Even the Faroes these days are getting creditable results.

I see Urugauy have gotten off to a flyer in the Souh American WC Qualifiers...

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/southamerica/

With a population of only 3.5 million they seem to consistently compete at the highest level, They just thrased Colombia (population 48 million) 3-0.

Too many people use the population of our country as an excuse/reason for failure. Craig Brown suggeseted on the radio the other night, that given the populations of our respective group opponents (germany, poland and eire) we should expect/be generally satisfied to finish behind them. This is absolute nonsense in my opinion, football is our national sport and we should not only be looking to compete, we should be aiming to actually WIN a major tournament.

Uruguay have won 2 x World Cups and a record 15 Copa Americas, I never hear them playing the 'we're too wee' argument.

yes - could you imagine the New Zealanders using that excuse in the Rugby "we've got a smaller population "

Wales and Rugby is another over performer. Chuck football into that category at the moment.

I am struggling to think of another underperformer in a football sense as bad as us. And I mean where football is so big, yet the team is so rank.

J

Italy also missed out on Euro 92, CIS topped their qualifying group. France also missed out on USA 94.

Haven't checked the records but I think Portugal went a long time without qualifying for a worls cup, maybe 1986 - 2002?

Portugal...now there's a thing....they do bloody well for a nation that, I may be wrong but always think, is a little bit 'backwards' as in not awash with much cash.

Maybe that's why though?

Wales and Rugby is another over performer. Chuck football into that category at the moment.

I am struggling to think of another underperformer in a football sense as bad as us. And I mean where football is so big, yet the team is so rank.

J

Not sure, but what about countries like Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria ?