Australia V Scotland - Page 10 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Australia V Scotland

Deedee

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

There's a perception of Scottish rugby fans all being No voting upper middle class farmers from Melrose and Kelso.

There are elements of the Murrayfield crowd that are like that, but in reality the vast majority of Scotland's support are just normal lads and lassies from every spectrum of Scottish society from cooncil estates in Dundee to million quid homes in Morningside.

Certainly the away support is as 'normal' as 'normal can be. It's like the football support, but without all the drunken 'look at me' type kn0bs peeing in the middle of town squares.

A few high profile ex-players brought politics into Scottish rugby (when there was no need), but lets not forget that the SRU refused to allow Murrayfield to be a gathering place for their No supporting picture shoots.

I'm not sure of the politics of the group I meet up with from time to time...some will be no voters, some are yes voters. All of us are Scotland fans.

dunno Rossy, the amount of "Delighted to be United" stickers on cars parked at Hermiston park and ride for the last game at Murrayfield was horrific.

Edited by giblet

For the record I'm not subscribing to any conspiracy theories.

Just good old fashioned refereeing ineptitude and completely bottling it in favour of the "big" team in a last minute, pressurised, game changing decision.

Compounded by his cowardly antics at full time.

Thought Scotland were immense yesterday.

Does rugby have dodgy refs same as fitba ? Looked like it yesterday.

Does rugby have "pressure" on officials from tournament sponsors same as fitba ? Dunno. However, with 5 minutes to go the chat was something like "The sponsors would farther rather a big country like Australia to go through than a wee population like Scotlands to go through"..........Ah FVVVCCKKK !!!!

I flatter myself that I'm fairly well "up" on the rules of rugby, but the whole TMO thing is still a bit of a mystery to me.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why the TMO never brought the late challenge on Hogg just prior to the final line out, to the referee's attention? Let alone why the ref didn't spot it himself!!

I flatter myself that I'm fairly well "up" on the rules of rugby, but the whole TMO thing is still a bit of a mystery to me.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why the TMO never brought the late challenge on Hogg just prior to the final line out, to the referee's attention? Let alone why the ref didn't spot it himself!!

Because it would have resulted in a penalty to Scotland, probably a yellow card for Mitchell and most probably Australia going out of the World Cup.

Because it would have resulted in a penalty to Scotland, probably a yellow card for Mitchell and most probably Australia going out of the World Cup.

Ah. I thought that was the reason. Appreciate the clarification. :ok:

World Rugby to publish their review into Joubert's performance this afternoon.

I can't wait.

Expect an unbiased statement, full of phrases such as.....'world's top referee....justified....exonerated.....top class performance.....applied the laws correctly' etc etc.

Aye for all the fury over the Aussie penalty it's the challenge on Hogg that aggrieved me most. The TV coverage barely mentioned it too (if at all?)...

This

To think we had a man yellow carded for a knock on and they got away with that.

I'm not a rugby fan at all but I have to say this tournament has caught my imagination. Managed to catch the game at work yesterday and we were all jumping around like idiots when we scored with a few minutes to go.

We did seem to make some pretty basic errors at times so I don't think we can blame the ref completely. He is human and will make mistakes. Unfortunately he has made a big one when it mattered most yesterday.

Well done to the team, completely written off by just about everyone. I take my hat off to any of the players involved at the WC. It's frightening what they put themselves through. Great to see the amount of respect that there is, a far cry from the utter bell ends that now play fitba', something that just seems to be on the increase these days.

We did seem to make some pretty basic errors at times so I don't think we can blame the ref completely. He is human and will make mistakes. Unfortunately he has made a big one when it mattered most yesterday.

But yesterday we didn't make many errors, except the last lineout and our kick off after they scored from it, and maybe 1 or 2 minors mistakes. I can't beleive the referee didn't ask for TMO. SHAME!

It doesn't matter if we never took the lineout better than we did, it' was the referees wrong decision that cost us the game,

It was the combination of two screwups on our part and two howlers from the officials, all in the last five minutes, that cost us the game.

We effed up the restart after Bennett's try and we did the same with the lineout at the end.

Joubert effed up the last call and the TMO effed up by not calling the late challenge on Hogg.

If any one of these hadn't happened we probably would have held on, but the worst one for me is the challenge on Hogg not being called.

To be honest, Im as angry about as the next man, but I think we are in danger of over-egging the bitterness a bit. No doubting some very dodgy refereeing yesterday but we're crossing over into wee-man, chip-on-shoulder mentality for me. We've made our point, but should now be congratulating the team for their efforts and moving on. We were just as culpable as the referee - quite why we took such a long, risky lineout is beyond me and our mauling (or rather defending of the maul) has been cringeworthy last few games. Seemed to collapse in any 5 yard lineout.

Definite progress though and it's good we've come out with some pride and belief. Hopefully a wee bit siege mentality is put to good use for the 6-nations which is just around the corner. Most important for me is that we start showing up to the 6-nations instead of battling for the wooden spoon. I've seen nothing from the World Cup that suggests we've matured mentally for a league campaign - all the Australia game proved is that we can battle as underdogs in a knock out tie. Need to start seeing progression in the domestic competition for me to believe we've turned a corner.

Joubert's still a pr*ck though.

World rugby admit decision was wrong to award penalty

Well here's a thing World Rugby make sure the rules are changed for the semi finals onwards. That is in your gift. Make sure that refs have all the tools at there disposal when making game changing decisions.

J

Difficult to be remain calm over this. We were seconds away from one of THE greatest Scottish sporting performances of all time, certainly in a team setting. We all would have been dreaming of a World Cup Final for a week with a legitimate opportunity against a very good (their best ever) Argentina team but not one that would be unbeatable. Snatched away from us by a mixture of incompetence of our own making with a disastrous line out (jeez how long will our pack regret that for) and of a referee who was simply too desperate to get the 'big' team through. Its a heartbreaking defeat and realistically a once in a career opportunity for these players. The improvement is little consolation as the annual 6 Nations pales into all significance in comparison to a World Cup Semi Final (not achieved since 1991) and possible first ever Final.

On reflection I say incompetent with regards Joubert in that respect as I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt as to what he saw and therefore interpreted. That he was wrong is a try rugby disaster for us. However where there can be no doubt we have been blatantly cheated is the Hogg incident which should now be under far greater scrutiny. It is impossible for this to have been missed by him and his touch judges and especially the TMO. Impossible. Even watching on TV you can audibly here the crowds reaction. In the other quarter final yesterday the exact same thing happens and the Irish player is penalized and that in a game where the result was already certain. It is so obviously a penalty, one which we receive where his kick lands. We then kick deep into the Australia half and even if we make a James Hunt of the line out they would still need to go 50-60 metres to get anywhere near a scoring position. In every likelihood game over. That decision is indefensible and the SRU should be bringing that to the attention of the media immediately. It is nothing short of a disgrace.