Australia V Scotland - Page 13 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Australia V Scotland

Deedee

The Aussies may likely bracket us under the whingeing poms label if this goes on

That's another thing that pisses me off. Complain and you get branded a whinger. Especially by the Aussies who are up there with the worst whingers when they get beat. Generally because they are bred to win.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading in the Grauniad that Joubert wasn't rated one of the top 4 referees in the tournament before the q/f's, and as such his tournament should have been over with the group stages.

The top 4 rated officials are Owens, Barnes, Poite and Garces.

Joubert was appointed because World Rugby wanted a southern hemisphere whistler in for political reasons.

Edited by Rossy

Reading in the Grauniad that Joubert wasn't rated one of the top 4 referees in the tournament before the q/f's, and as such his tournament should have been over with the group stages.

The top 4 rated officials are Owens, Barnes, Poite and Garces.

Joubert was appointed because World Rugby wanted a southern hemisphere whistler in for political reasons.

I'd say it is highly unlikely that you are incorrect

Surely if the ref was wanting to throw the game in Southern Hemisphere favour he would not of called back the try for the knock on at the ruck

Nobody has said he deliberately favoured the southern hemisphere team.

It's just that...according to World Rugby's own assessment....he wasn't considered one of the 4 best referees in the tournament. He was a politically correct appointment.

Of course, even if Owens or Poite had refereed the game, it still wouldn't have changed the brainfart the the Scottish line-out had in the last minute.

Not alot of love on here for hastings.thought myself he was just one of the legends of the all conquering 90 slam side and world cup semi finalist..

Not alot of love on here for hastings.thought myself he was just one of the legends of the all conquering 90 slam side and world cup semi finalist..

A few legends have turned out to be disappointments

Bridges burnt during the referendum although im not sure he was as vocal as his brother and David Sole or Archie MacPherson for that matter

####s sake! I'd just about got over this, but stupidly decided to read through the 21 pages before going to my bed. Raging all over again.

Also embarrassed by the fact that (as I was watching the game on my phone having been at football) I was jumping about in the street when we scored the try with 5 and a bit to play.

Of course, even if Owens or Poite had refereed the game, it still wouldn't have changed the brainfart the the Scottish line-out had in the last minute.

But if we'd had a competent ref it wouldn't have been a line-out in the first place.

A few legends have turned out to be disappointments

Bridges burnt during the referendum although im not sure he was as vocal as his brother and David Sole or Archie MacPherson for that matter

Nothing to do with his politics for me. I met the guy and he was a .

I've just made the mistake of watching the highlights again.

The Australian commentary is interesting, though. Although they actually shout for the penalty when Welsh picks the ball up (which is fair enough - they want Oz to win) and there's no analysis of either the penalty or the late hit on Hogg in the clip, they do pick up a knock on by Genia 2 phases before Australia's first try (so could have been referred to TMO if Joubert had spotted it but not been sure) and are absolutely incredulous at the yellow card:

"and that's why I think Joubert will get the final, because he's refereeing the way some foolish official wants him to referee at IRB level...."

They're also full of praise for the Scotland performance.

There is a very good article here by Simon Taylor which explains why the line out was called that way. Still a balls up, but you can at least see what they were thinking. Would have been a clean take if the throw had not been too strong, basically. Took the risk out of the jump, but put it into the throw instead...I feel for Fraser Brown who will always think that it sits on his shoulders.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/simon-taylor-laidlaw-and-cotter-were-winners-after-all-1-3921797#axzz3p5z3HhNO

I am pleased that neither Laidlaw nor Cotter have entered into the Joubert witch hunt. On the contrary I think they have been models of restraint and dignity. It's not the team's fault if Hastings and Matt Dawson went OTT. I would have been interested to see how the Aussies would have dealt wi it if the boot had been on the other foot.

From what I've seen and heard Dawson and Hastings both reacted specifically to Joubert running off at the end, not his officiating during the game. Certainly on Radio 4 on Monday morning Hastings, clearly rattled by the interviewer, couldn't have been more specific on this. Kenny Logan on the other hand criticised Joubert at length, but that did more harm than good as he is a bit of a half-wit.

Edited by Pool Q