2016 Tour De France - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tour De France

Chico

An utterly laughable article from Matthew Syed in the Times. Along the lines of "if Sky dope, why are there no whistleblowers?" 

An embarrassing article that'll see him roundly mocked when the truth comes out. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Martin's wrote a whole book on marginal gains, so if it turns out one of the studies of his book who claim marginal gains have really just been cheating then his book is a pile of horseshit.

Funnily enough it is also about cognitive dissonance which is possibly what is happening here.

I love how he talks about "going after" Vladimir Putin. Weird he goes after Tucker just after Sherps on here lol.

No wonder we walk into wars and shit when journalists think like this, i see he works for Mujrdoch and was a Labour candidate as well. Obviously a paragon of virtue.

Also look at what happened to the 2 "whistleblowers" with Amstrong.

One portrayed as bitter about being spurned with a cyclist and rumours about trying it on with all the cyclists.

The other portrayed as a drunk psycho.

Turns out both were nice honest ladies, secretly taped phonecalls where people saying they feared etc.

It's like the guy just came to the sport.

Landis only whistleblew after years of being ostracized  and then when he could no longer make a living in the sport decided to grass everyone up.

Nobody is whistleblowing as turkeys dont vote for christmas. You can't grass someone up for doing what you're doing, unless you get really aggrieved, like Landis.

Edited by phart

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

An utterly laughable article from Matthew Syed in the Times. Along the lines of "if Sky dope, why are there no whistleblowers?" 

Voicing ridiculous opinions like that just muddies the waters on the issue.
Anti-doping work is done in labs by scientists, and anti-doping regimes and legislation vary by sport/country, and that either doesn't make good copy for journalists, they don't understand it, or simply can't be bothered researching it, so they concentrate on the human aspect of it, which leads to "proof" of doping/non-doping being sought outside the laboratory, which is fundamentally flawed, as phart points out.

You always get this around July, though.
People (the mainstream media mostly) express opinions on cycling, and doping in cycling, who have no interest in either subject except when the TdF starts up.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Weird he goes after Tucker just after Sherps on here lol.

D'ye think he reads the TAMB? ;)

Loads of testimony from whistleblowers and Dr ashenden that actually despite what Mathew Syned says they are terrified of coming forward.

Actually most anti-doping is done by the police or whistleblowers. Festina was border controls, armstrong refused to give Landis a ride on his team so he grassed him up, then Lance came back and got caught.

Beating the tests is the "easy" bit. or just get a TUE. Most major breakthroughs are normally someone speaking out.

UK Cycling helping to fund Lizzie Armistead's fight to overturn her drug ban :rolleyes: Utterly pathetic and against guidelines. 

Can only imagine the reporting of this if it was a Russian athlete involved... 

Edited by Parklife

On 8/2/2016 at 1:04 PM, Parklife said:

UK Cycling helping to fund Lizzie Armistead's fight to overturn her drug ban :rolleyes: Utterly pathetic and against guidelines. 

Exactly,the rules are supposed to be tight. I was racing on Sunday and did a quick check before leaving to see if there was a drug check.Now never in my 30 years of racing have I seen dope control at a race but they were there on Sunday. I wasn't required to pee in a bottle. But if I had left  and was required it would have been a 2 year ban for missing a test at a wee event in the West of Scotland.No excuses would have got me out of it. 

9 hours ago, Jacobite said:

Exactly,the rules are supposed to be tight. I was racing on Sunday and did a quick check before leaving to see if there was a drug check.Now never in my 30 years of racing have I seen dope control at a race but they were there on Sunday. I wasn't required to pee in a bottle. But if I had left  and was required it would have been a 2 year ban for missing a test at a wee event in the West of Scotland.No excuses would have got me out of it. 

I don't think she is accused of missing an in-competition test, though, is she?

From what I have read there is no suggestion that she intentionally missed out of comeptition tests and, if she has followed the proper appeal procedures at the time, at least one of the 'missed' tests would not have counted.

Having said that, it looks dreadful for both her and, in particular, UK Cycling.  And it does make you wonder what else they help their superstars get away with.

3 hours ago, Denny's Yard said:

I don't think she is accused of missing an in-competition test, though, is she?

From what I have read there is no suggestion that she intentionally missed out of comeptition tests and, if she has followed the proper appeal procedures at the time, at least one of the 'missed' tests would not have counted.

Having said that, it looks dreadful for both her and, in particular, UK Cycling.  And it does make you wonder what else they help their superstars get away with.

I believe the missed test that has been voided was the morning after a race. 

39 minutes ago, Jacobite said:

They haven't invented the drug yet that would qualify me for out of competition testing.

Assume from what you said before that you are a bit older?  I train (running) with some very competive Masters guys here in the US, and they are always telling me the rumors about which of their competitors are on the testosterone replacement medication.  Works wonders apparently! 

TRT Testosterone replacement therapy. was allowed in MMA for a while and the differences before and after are ostensibly huge. Obviously it isn't scientific but just watching folk before and after there is a huge drop of in performance, even ability to take a punch. Some folk just look so different as well, pretty funny the UFC has perhaps the most comprehensive anti-doping policy in sports, and considering who has popped and when, also seems very independent. Jon Jones pulled 2 days before headlining UFC 200 (biggest event to date) for testing positive for two estrogen blockers. Since it's came in most of the titles have changed hands.

With clearance times in the hours any delay of giving a sample could be crucial.

1 hour ago, Denny's Yard said:

Assume from what you said before that you are a bit older?  I train (running) with some very competive Masters guys here in the US, and they are always telling me the rumors about which of their competitors are on the testosterone replacement medication.  Works wonders apparently! 

Aye ,53 next week or so I'm told. I have competed at a fairly high level at masters in Italy and Denmark and I know one of the guys I raced against did get caught and banned. I'll stick to kendal mint cake and jelly babies though.(well maybe something a bit more technical but legal)

On 02/08/2016 at 1:04 PM, Parklife said:

the below article doesn't bode well. Obviously just my opinion but she sounds like a doper.

" Olympic silver medallist insists cycling clean now and says focus on doping should be left in past"

http://road.cc/content/news/73788-lizzie-armitstead-says-nicole-cooke-wrong-focus-doping-mondays-parting-shot

4 hours ago, phart said:

the below article doesn't bode well. Obviously just my opinion but she sounds like a doper.

" Olympic silver medallist insists cycling clean now and says focus on doping should be left in past"

http://road.cc/content/news/73788-lizzie-armitstead-says-nicole-cooke-wrong-focus-doping-mondays-parting-shot

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck....