Hampden, Parkhead Or Ibrox? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hampden, Parkhead Or Ibrox?

Dunty

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to play at Hampden but as results have proven over many years it offers us no home advantage.

We played well at Ibrox and Parkhead securing 2 massive wins v Georgia & Ireland.

Then Hampden hosts 3 next 3 games and form / results disappear.

Croatia aside, in a dead rubber we have not had a significant Hampden win in donkeys.

For this reason Parkhead gets my vote. Intimidating, close to the pitch, bigger and a half hr walk to city.

Edited by Eastiebeastie

Hampden every time for me too. Parkhead was decent enough but Ibrox was terrible IMO.

At some point, I fear we're going to have to consider moving from Hampden. The transport links are absolutely woeful and the East/West stands are in serious need of bulldozing. The issue of transport links cannot be solved now IMO, and the relative cost of another redevelopment probably means we should be considering whether to just build a new, modern stadium from scratch.

Sad, but true. Would sooner move and share Murrayfield than use Parkhead/Ibrox.

From your username I'm guessing that would be more convenient?...

You guess wrong. Im in Larbert and even if I was in Edinburgh, I'd still opt for Hampden as it's the home of Scottish fitba. My point on Murrayfield was more that I'd sooner prefer this than taint the Scottish FA further by opting to co-share with either side of the Old Firm.

As much as I love Hampden, there's a hard truth coming whether it's in the next couple of years or a decade down the line. The transport links are appalling and seem to be getting worse, and if we've to go through another redevelopment, you know who's going to pay for it. You and me. And if we're paying for it, it's right to ask if we're really going to get value for money knocking Hampden down and rebuilding where it is.

I dont want to, but Im not convinced public transport can now be made to work at it. Years and years of poor planning mean it's isolated.

You guess wrong. Im in Larbert and even if I was in Edinburgh, I'd still opt for Hampden as it's the home of Scottish fitba. My point on Murrayfield was more that I'd sooner prefer this than taint the Scottish FA further by opting to co-share with either side of the Old Firm.

As much as I love Hampden, there's a hard truth coming whether it's in the next couple of years or a decade down the line. The transport links are appalling and seem to be getting worse, and if we've to go through another redevelopment, you know who's going to pay for it. You and me. And if we're paying for it, it's right to ask if we're really going to get value for money knocking Hampden down and rebuilding where it is.

I dont want to, but Im not convinced public transport can now be made to work at it. Years and years of poor planning mean it's isolated.

Got to agree, the experience of trying to get home after a game at Hampden is getting worse. There is absolutely no help at all from any of the transport providers, no-one seems to care! There must be some way of making it easier to get back into the city centre after the game and sticking on a few "fitba specials" from Central & Queen St would go a long way to making a difference.

Would much rather build a nice new fitba stadium as Hampden in its current place than use either of the OFs orifices.

Got to push back against Murrayfield as a venue, it's awful.

Hampden *should* be well served by public transport - there is a train station right next door.

Problem is that the whole thing isn't joined up at all. On match day, there should be shuttle trains running out to Mount Florida as frequently as they can from about an hour before kick off and after the match it should be the same. A similar scheme to Germany where they include the price of the train in the match ticket would mean they could just lift the barrier.

Its the same with Prestwick Airport. Again there is a station actually at the airport. Should be great except you can't get a train for an early flight.

Edited by aaid

That would make a huge difference but SPT/ScotRail make absolutely no effort to amend any rail timetable for any event. They can't even put on trains much past midnight in and around either of the two main cities any night of the year. Our public transport infrastructure is absolutely diabolical and Im not sure if we should continue to sit in Hampden hoping things will change because I honestly dont think it will.

Im off to bed as Im getting the rage just thinking about the SFA, ScotRail, SPT and years of neglect, inaction and incompetence. There's times I think Scotland is a sh*te wee nation. It really shouldnt be this difficult.

In years gone past when you had football specials why do scotrail not bring them back

Like everything these days I imagine health & safety will be involved somewhere with the answer to that, and too many trains on the line. Lived next to Hampden for years and it was a bizarre timetable, but imagine this was to accommodate the idea of football specials