Outlander - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It's the biggest pile of pish ever. I tried to watch the first two episodes when it came out and lasted 5 minutes into the first. Terrible acting. But it does what it's meant to do. A hunky Scot for Yank women. It makes Brigadoon look Oscar material.

It's the biggest pile of pish ever. I tried to watch the first two episodes when it came out and lasted 5 minutes into the first. Terrible acting. But it does what it's meant to do. A hunky Scot for Yank women. It makes Brigadoon look Oscar material.

I wasn't writing that it was good or bad in my OP, but if you'd managed to watch till the end of the series, then you'd have seen some extremely harrowing scenes.

A yank women? The lead woman is English. Don't think there are any Americans in it at all.

A yank women? The lead woman is English. Don't think there are any Americans in it at all.

I am guessing that Ormand is meaning that it features a hunky Scot for the US female tv audience to watch? The lead actress is Irish, but is playing an Englishwoman.

I'm a little bit surprised about the lack of interest in this show, from using the TAMB search engine. Even if you thought it was terrible, the content and where it was filmed made me think it would provoke more of an interest.

Has Outlander been hidden away from Scottish eyes, or do you all just think it's crap?

I know that you can't can't always trust reviews, but IMDB gave it 8.5, rotten tomatoes gave it 91% and metacritic gave it 73%

Edited by Jonathan

A pal was the Gaelic coach on the series, reckoned it was a brilliant effort. Havent seen it yet but I suppose ill get round to it sooner rather than later.

It was good to hear Gaelic being spoken regularly and I liked that there were no subtitles, so we had to view the story from the same perspective as the female lead.

The No campaign did well to ban/stall the show as I am convinced that it would have helped the Yes vote.

The last show was one of the more distressing episodes I've watched on a 'mainstream' tv show.

David Cameron did well to ban/stall the show as I am convinced that it would have helped the Yes vote.

Fixed that a bit

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/david-cameron-v-outlander-pm-met-sony-execs-stop-scottish-rebel-drama-before-referendum-vote-1497534

The show was geared to soil the knickers of Yank women. Trust me, it's all I hear here when a woman finds out I'm Scottish. I have to be careful now as Parkie reads this and I'm not allowed to reveal my true location(unless I'm from Falkirk and follow Aberdeen). But Outlander really is huge in the States. All over billboards, tv, magazines, etc. All worded to gee up women that need a good wiring.

I have to be careful now as Parkie reads this and I'm not allowed to reveal my true location(unless I'm from Falkirk and follow Aberdeen).

I hope you're joking and you're not really that sensitive that you got annoyed by me having a laugh with you... :lol:

• 1 year later...

I've give binge watched this. 

first series was 16 episodes, second 13 or something.,

I don't have a telly, and haven't had for 20 years or so, and get everything on PC but thought this was excellent.

Great story, fantastic continuity and worth watching.

Not a great fan of the bonnie prince charlie catholic royalty bollocks but it makes a good story.

How many movies or tv shows has doune castle been in now? I make it 5.

The series was deliberately suppressed in the UK before the referendum, and as I understand it is nowhere near the cult hit it is in the USA.

When I was in Boston last September people couldn't stop talking about the damn series and the characters, think that because I was Scottish I must know it inside out. 

I had to confess that I'd never seen one episode. 

21 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Tried to watch the first series when it came on originally. What a heap of nonsense it is. Terrible acting and cringeworthy as feck.

Would a thrilling psychological drama about Perthshire farmers competing for the trophy at the annual ploughing championships - with plenty of sex, murder, cattle breeding, betrayal, greed, tweed jackets and welly boots thrown in - interest you ? With special guest appearances by Stevie Anderson and Tommy Wright naturally.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Would a thrilling psychological drama about Perthshire farmers competing for the trophy at the annual ploughing championships - with plenty of sex, murder, cattle breeding, betrayal, greed, tweed jackets and welly boots thrown in - interest you ? With special guest appearances by Stevie Anderson and Tommy Wright naturally.

You know my buttons ya big tease. :wub:

8 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

They  seemed to have used Perthshire a fair bit for their outdoor stuff as they were filming around me Last year..

I recognised a few places instantly. Doune Castle, Stirling University, Dumyat among them. I'm also certain that when Claire is talking to Gillian Edgar's husband at his home in 'Dragonfly in Amber' that the hill in the background is the Abbey Craig where the Wallace Monument stands. The monument itself is hidden by the window frame and I reckon the scene itself is shot from the university overlooking Airthrey Loch, possibly in Airthrey Castle. 

6 hours ago, Rossy said:

The series was deliberately suppressed in the UK before the referendum, and as I understand it is nowhere near the cult hit it is in the USA.

When I was in Boston last September people couldn't stop talking about the damn series and the characters, think that because I was Scottish I must know it inside out. 

I had to confess that I'd never seen one episode. 

I don't think it damned the Brits too much. Maybe the third series, if it does a story on the Highland Clearances will though. Its worth watching as I was scurrying away to wiki to look up events that were mentioned and I was a bit blank on, like the 1715 rebellion.

Giving it some thought I think that out of the two scenarios that could have came I'm glad the Jacobites lost and we got we got (I'm a republican and wouldn't want any sort of monarch). If the Jacobites had won Highland Scotland would still probably be like a European Afghanistan, with feudal warlords and inbred clans living in the Dark Ages.

4 hours ago, Ormond said:

Tried to watch the first series when it came on originally. What a heap of nonsense it is. Terrible acting and cringeworthy as feck.

I only recognised Jack/ Frank Randall and maybe one or two others from Game of Thrones but that was it. As i said I don't watch TV though so some might be better known. 

It does take a few episodes to get going and I thought it was going to be a bit like take the high road meets highlander but it is a good watch.

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Lazy stereotyping of St. Johnstone supporters. Vile, frankly.

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Giving it some thought I think that out of the two scenarios that could have came I'm glad the Jacobites lost and we got we got (I'm a republican and wouldn't want any sort of monarch). If the Jacobites had won Highland Scotland would still probably be like a European Afghanistan, with feudal warlords and inbred clans living in the Dark Ages.

Thank fuk the British came and gave us savages some culture, civilisation and sophistication...

Suppose that's what all countries who were part of the Empire say though.

Think you need to have a rethink. How many countries in Western Europe are living in the Dark Ages run by feudal warlords?

Edited by iainmac1