Wanky Phrases - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wanky Phrases

..or knowledge. What's wrong with what he said?

Not sure if you're just being deliberately obtuse or not. You are correct to say my knowledge of NI politics is limited in the extreme, but I flatter myself it's sufficient to recognise the existence of 2 countries, NI (or UK if you prefer) and RoI.

I'd get your point if in the context of what he was saying he was simply referring to a geographical area on the island of Ireland, but using the term repeatedly showed he meant it in a political sense, not geographical. After all, Donegal for example is in the north of Ireland, but it's not in the North of Ireland he was talking about.

It reminded me of the constant use by BT of the word separation instead of independence. Same with that, nothing literally wrong with it, but your not telling me there was no political motive in it.

The magic of the Tamb - from 'wanky phrases' to Irish politics :lol:

Ha Ha. If Duncan II had responded to me Flora, I was going to make a point of bringing the thread back on topic.

Bottom line........I believe that phrases used to pretend that things don't exist are "wanky".

Not sure if you're just being deliberately obtuse or not. You are correct to say my knowledge of NI politics is limited in the extreme, but I flatter myself it's sufficient to recognise the existence of 2 countries, NI (or UK if you prefer) and RoI.

I'd get your point if in the context of what he was saying he was simply referring to a geographical area on the island of Ireland, but using the term repeatedly showed he meant it in a political sense, not geographical. After all, Donegal for example is in the north of Ireland, but it's not in the North of Ireland he was talking about.

It reminded me of the constant use by BT of the word separation instead of independence. Same with that, nothing literally wrong with it, but your not telling me there was no political motive in it.

It may be political but I don't see how it's a wanky phrase!! But, if I may, although his subtext is maybe that he's failing to recognise the two entities are separate states, what he says is not wrong, is it? (notwithstanding your correct point re Donegal being in the north geographically). It's not really overtly political to call the Republic "the South", is it? Or to refer to Northern ireland as "the north"? It's just an alternative way of referring to the two places. Like, say, calling Derry Londonderry.One man's "British Isles" is another man's "these Islands". I wasn't disagreeing with you that there probably was a political angle to what he was saying but, given the title of the thread is Wanky Phrases, i didn't think it warranted being there as a great example. That's all!

It may be political but I don't see how it's a wanky phrase!! But, if I may, although his subtext is maybe that he's failing to recognise the two entities are separate states, what he says is not wrong, is it? (notwithstanding your correct point re Donegal being in the north geographically). It's not really overtly political to call the Republic "the South", is it? Or to refer to Northern ireland as "the north"? It's just an alternative way of referring to the two places. Like, say, calling Derry Londonderry.One man's "British Isles" is another man's "these Islands". I wasn't disagreeing with you that there probably was a political angle to what he was saying but, given the title of the thread is Wanky Phrases, i didn't think it warranted being there as a great example. That's all!

No problem mate. I already acknowledged that had he been referring to the geography of the island (which he absolutely clearly wasn't) then there would be no issue.

For me, it was the repetitive, shoe horned nature of his referrals which made the expressions "wanky" in my humble opinion. :ok:

No problem mate. I already acknowledged that had he been referring to the geography of the island (which he absolutely clearly wasn't) then there would be no issue.

For me, it was the repetitive, shoe horned nature of his referrals which made the expressions "wanky" in my humble opinion. :ok:

Sorry, meant to say for the avoidance of doubt that the political status of Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, or just Ireland is of absolutely no concern to me whatsoever. All I care about is an independent Scotland.

Cool, no worries. :ok:

Back on topic, Cameron's "let's be clear about this" or "let's be absolutely clear on this", before he says anything. Basically saying he's right, every other opinion is wrong. If we have another opinion it's cos we don't understand what he does. To be honest, loads of politicians do it, but cameron says it all the bloody time.

Cool, no worries. :ok:

Back on topic, Cameron's "let's be clear about this" or "let's be absolutely clear on this", before he says anything. Basically saying he's right, every other opinion is wrong. If we have another opinion it's cos we don't understand what he does. To be honest, loads of politicians do it, but cameron says it all the bloody time.

In that case we have to include the Milliband classic "Thank you for that great question and let me answer it directly..." and then not answering it directly.

Edited by Marky

In that case we have to include the Milliband classic "Thank you for that great question and let me answer it directly..." and then not answering it directly.

Indeed. Unionist politicians and wanky unionist phrases seem to go hand in hand. Strong shoulders; what the separatists want; Alex Salmond would have you believe, etc etc.

People who say they are from "the southside" I asked where not which direction.

Charlie Endall has jst reminded me of this in the M8 thread haha

The southside is a parliamentary constituency though so that surely makes it ok?

(You might've guessed that I use that description! ;))

People who say they are from "the southside" I asked where not which direction.

Charlie Endall has jst reminded me of this in the M8 thread haha

Eh? That's what it has been known as for as long as I can remember and no doubt long, long before I was born (which wasn't yesterday).

http://www.timeout.com/glasgow/things-to-do/glasgow-area-guide-southside

http://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/glasgow-south-side-p237561

https://peoplemakeglasgow.com/discover/districts/southside

'People make Glasgow' - now there is a wanky phrase.

Edited by Charlie Endell

but what's wrong using a term in a political sense? He is a politician, after all

People talk of 'North Britain' in a political sense - is that OK? Just curious...

Eh? That's what it has been known as for as long as I can remember and no doubt long, long before I was born (which wasn't yesterday).

http://www.timeout.com/glasgow/things-to-do/glasgow-area-guide-southside

http://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/glasgow-south-side-p237561

https://peoplemakeglasgow.com/discover/districts/southside

'People make Glasgow' - now there is a wanky phrase.

A just canny go it. Especially folk from giffnock/mearns saying it. Naw yer from giffnock now off. If someone asks where you're from they usually want a place name not a direction/area as such.

Its an irational hate of mine.

Saying I'm going up the West End is surely acceptable especially as I wander a lot - unless I know I'm going to Byres Rd.

See West End doesnt bother me as much. I dont know if its just because id never heard anyone speak of the southside until i was older and it just seemed like some new thing folk said to seem trendy.

If you name specific districts of a town / city most non locals won't have a clue - I've lived in the *cough* Southside since 1990s and met a chap in the Georgic last Saturday - he told me he lived in Eastwood and I'd no idea where it was (only found out recently where Netherburn was and it's about a mile from where a live).

If you name specific districts of a town / city most non locals won't have a clue - I've lived in the *cough* Southside since 1990s and met a chap in the Georgic last Saturday - he told me he lived in Eastwood and I'd no idea where it was (only found out recently where Netherburn was and it's about a mile from where a live).

The Netherburn I know is nowhere near where you live! It's a wee village a few miles south of Larkhall.

Do you mean Netherlee?

Edited by thewolf_1980

but what's wrong using a term in a political sense? He is a politician, after all

People talk of 'North Britain' in a political sense - is that OK? Just curious...

Do they? I wouldn't have a clue what "North Britain" meant in a political sense. Can't say I've ever heard it said in that context. What is it anyway? Scotland? Everything above Manchester? But I knew what Declan meant.

Sorry, Auldburn! No idea where Netherburn came from although I have passed through it.

Never heard of Auldburn either. I reckon some folk make up place names sometimes based on local, historical references. For years and years I thought my Granny stayed in Dennistoun only to be informed that she was actually from the less salubrious sounding mythical place of Haghill. A pal of mine also stays in "Germiston" wherever the that is.

Never heard of Auldburn either. I reckon some folk make up place names sometimes based on local, historical references. For years and years I thought my Granny stayed in Dennistoun only to be informed that she was actually from the less salubrious sounding mythical place of Haghill. A pal of mine also stays in "Germiston" wherever the ###### that is.

I know Haghill Primary, it's in the east end. Does anybody refer to 'the northside.'

I'm sure Germiston is a political area but no idea where.