Wanky Phrases - Page 13 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wanky Phrases

I'm sure Germiston is a political area but no idea where.

Well, it's in my 2013 AA road atlas map of Glasgow and District - seems to lie between Petershill to the NW and Blackhill to the SE bisected by Royston Road. I, of course, have heard of none of these places ... 'Springboig' ffs... (or is that a typo in the atlas?).

Edit for my own typo in Springboig.

Springburn is further to the NW beyond Petershill.

Edited by DonnyTJS

I've always been convinced that places like Haghill, Blackhill and Germiston only exist in a parallel Glasgow, which only certain Weegies are 'privileged' to access. I've certainly no idea where they are. Mind you, I used to think the same about Summerston (where it's never actually summer).

I've lived in the Newlands and Auldburn council ward since 2010 - it was only seeing this recently on my ballot paper that prompted me to find out exactly where it was.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Near Springburn. Apparently.

Well, it's in my 2013 AA road atlas map of Glasgow and District - seems to lie between Petershill to the NW and Blackhill to the SE bisected by Royston Road. I, of course, have heard of none of these places ... 'Springboig' ffs... (or is that a typo in the atlas?).

Edit for my own typo in Springboig.

Springburn is further to the NW beyond Petershill.

:ok: No shit Sherlock - now there's a wanky phrase I hate.

I've heard of Springboig could only be the east end.

Now search your map Donny for Eygpt in Glasgow.

Seeing as we're off on a tangent, the strange reference points they give on traffic reports that mean little or nothing to me.

Plantation is almost always mentioned, and I've no idea where/what it is!

Fruit market? I'm not a green grocer, they've all missed the rush hour, where is it? (I think that one's near the giant gas towers? Why not say it's queued past the giant gas towers?)

Found Yoker, Dee Dee's "pure, mad, fabled land" ; going to quit while I'm ahead.

Funnily enough, I thought of that very sketch when someone mentioned Summerston.

It's another of those mythical places on the front of a bus (there or coltness).

Funnily enough, I thought of that very sketch when someone mentioned Summerston.

It's another of those mythical places on the front of a bus (there or coltness).

Summerston is not even a place you'd pass through or accidentally end up in - there used to be a Thistle bus that left from there but now it appears to be a reservation for Celtic fans. To be fair Broughton Road (and its offshoots) is reasonably pleasant.

Ha Ha. If Duncan II had responded to me Flora, I was going to make a point of bringing the thread back on topic.

Bottom line........I believe that phrases used to pretend that things don't exist are "wanky".

A bit like FOS being sung at football and rugby matches? After all no point in pretending we are all British.

Plus it's an awful song.

Saying I'm going up the West End is surely acceptable especially as I wander a lot - unless I know I'm going to Byres Rd.

My fella stays in the west end and says to me "do you fancy going down the town or up the west end"? I have a very skewed idea an the layout of Glasgow!

A bit like FOS being sung at football and rugby matches? After all no point in pretending we are all British.

Plus it's an awful song.

You could definitely argue that AS. No doubt.

I'd prefer to to say it remains the privilege of the 45% to sing that song.

Any no voter singing it tho fits firmly into the wanky phrase category.

Found Yoker, Dee Dee's "pure, mad, fabled land" ; going to quit while I'm ahead.

I have one battered 2007 Glasgow A-Z and remember it fondly enlisting Egypt as an area in Tollcross - not that I ever found anyone familiar with it.

Bit off topic but for anyone interested, Glasgow's own little Egypt.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSE00943

http://www.glasgowhistory.co.uk/Books/Tollcross&Dalbeth/TollcrossCHapters/Famrs&Houses.htm

http://thirst-bus.webs.com/cottersbar.htm

The Helensburgh train goes somewhere mythical too but can't for the life of me remember where. :unsure:. Its near Airdrie I think...

I just tested him and he defied me. He'd say into town or down the west end.

Am West End and would say into town. would never say up or down the west end. Would say Southside if lived there or East end if liv d there - use those geo descriptions quite regularly. Wouldn't say North Glasgow though for some reason.

A taxi driver once said that in his experience folk from certain areas would never describe their area as part of a wider area. He considered folks who lived in Partick never described Partick as the West End and folks in Townhead would never say they lived in the city centre yet folks in Trongate, Clyde St and Merchant City would. It's all so random.........

Rather randomly one of my mates grew up in Coltness and just recently moved out of Yoker!!