Wanky Phrases - Page 18 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wanky Phrases

Folk (that don't even know him) referring to Sam Allardyce as "Big Sam", like he's their best pal.

Gets my goat.

Sort of like in the corporate world when some pleb refers to the CEO by their Christian name all the time like they're best buds, when in fact the CEO wouldn't have the first feckin clue who they were.

53 minutes ago, Marky said:

Folk (that don't even know him) referring to Sam Allardyce as "Big Sam", like he's their best pal.

Gets my goat.

Sort of like in the corporate world when some pleb refers to the CEO by their Christian name all the time like they're best buds, when in fact the CEO wouldn't have the first feckin clue who they were.

What about CEOs who want to be known by their 1st name, as if they're your pal.

(when in reality, they've no idea who you are, what you do and how little they pay you. :lol: )

Just thought of another. Phrases that are only used on the Internet bug me. Just ing talk properly ya dicks!!

'beyond parody' seems to be a particular favourite just now. I've never, in my puff, heard anyone, ever use this to describe someone. 

You can also add:

'whataboutery'

'cretin' 

'The Blue Pound' 

'subservient' 

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

What about CEOs who want to be known by their 1st name, as if they're your pal.

(when in reality, they've no idea who you are, what you do and how little they pay you. :lol: )

On this note what aboot managerial types that like to call each other by their initials. 

44 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Just thought of another. Phrases that are only used on the Internet bug me. Just ing talk properly ya dicks!!

'beyond parody' seems to be a particular favourite just now. I've never, in my puff, heard anyone, ever use this to describe someone. 

You can also add:

'whataboutery'

'cretin' 

'The Blue Pound' 

'subservient' 

Cretin is a great word.

• 2 months later...

I realise I could get pelters for this one, particularly after today's incident, but here goes anyway:

Why is the utter stock phrase that gets trotted out by politicians, civil servants and the police when a serious or fatal incident occurs is 'My thoughts and prayers are with the family (or whoever)'?

It's become a cliche, a lazy, off the shelf soundbite and is therefore utterly meaningless. 

These people have not got to where they are by being inarticulate, so would it really be so hard for them to take five minutes to find a more original form of words portraying genuine empathy to reflect the situation?

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I realise I could get pelters for this one, particularly after today's incident, but here goes anyway:

Why is the utter stock phrase that gets trotted out by politicians, civil servants and the police when a serious or fatal incident occurs is 'My thoughts and prayers are with the family (or whoever)'?

It's become a cliche, a lazy, off the shelf soundbite and is therefore utterly meaningless. 

These people have not got to where they are by being inarticulate, so would it really be so hard for them to take five minutes to find a more original form of words portraying genuine empathy to reflect the situation?

Completely agree. Insincere sounding bullshit.

On a lighter note I received this in an email today  :

'team work makes the dream work .'

Sigh... 

5 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I realise I could get pelters for this...

There's another wanky phrase in itself. 

Pelters? What the fck is a pelter and whats wrong with getting some? And why is it only Tam Cowan who really stll says it? 

Pelters ? Get tae fck.

Edited by neil r

46 minutes ago, neil r said:

Pelters? What the fck is a pelter and whats wrong with getting some? And why is it only Tam Cowan who really stll says it? 

Pelters ? Get tae fck.

Who the f*** is Tam Cowan???????

<_<

1 hour ago, neil r said:

Pelters ? Get tae fck.

Barney Rubble is Tam Cowan?:huh:

The terms 'absolute pelters' might be whanky, but it is used pretty widely. Scots terms for verbal abuse or excessive criticism. Another term that is widely used, but that is also whanky and inaccurate, is 'running his socks off'. No he didn't.

Bae.

From Urban dictionary >>> The most fùcking annoying way to say girlfriend, boyfriend, crush, or any other sort of significant other. Commonly used by ghetto folks, swagfags, and annoying fùcktard.

Yo Yo she's my bae 

Edited by derekfaejapan

3 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

Baby shower! Just seen a female friend on Facebook mention hers.

When did we start using this pish? Certainly wasn't being used more than 10 years ago.

Another Americanism, probably. 

What's a 'swagfag', by the way? 

17 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Probably a relation of ya ya and kolo

:lol: