Pointless But Interesting Debate... Who Was Better Hansen Or Miller? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pointless But Interesting Debate... Who Was Better Hansen Or Miller?

Malcolm

Miller probably, as he and McLeish came as a package. Not sure how McLeish and Hansen would've played together, and clearly Hansen and Miller didn't have a great understanding!

Sure Willie said in a interview that Hansen and McLeish were the better partnership in his opinion as him and Hansen just did not seem to "click" when they were put together for Scotland.

yeah, I kind of see that both Hansen and Miller as sweeper/spare man/organiser types, sitting slightly behind a traditional stopper like McLeish. Really can't decide myself who was the better of the two... Ferguson reckoned Miller... but Hansen played for the best side in Europe and won several European cups/English 1st division. I only ever saw Miller in the flesh for Aberdeen and everytime we played them never thought we would score.

Miller every time. Solid, organised and with Eck alongside, I was not (as was and is again normal watching Scotland) shiting it worrying about conceding. Was always concerned about Hansen's tendency to over elaborate in dangerous defensive areas. To be fair though, Hansen was a decent player but not a patch on Miller as central defender IMO.

Interesting that Ferguson didnt take Miller or McLeish to Man United though.

Ferguson promised the Donald's when he left for Man United that he would not raid Aberdeen for players, with the promise he had first refusal on Joe Miller.

Willie Miller was the wrong side of 30 when Fergie left for Man United, so "best" days were behind him and at a point in his career he was settled, but stories that he did try a number of times to get Eck.

Edited by wanderer

With narey, buchan, hansen being seen as more footballing centre halfs than the bruiser stopper types you mean?

thats what i was trying to say - yes.

Always felt a big 'clear your lines' punt into row z was cheered to the rafters at Hampden (and across most Scottish grounds) in the 70s and 80s whereas someone trying to play football from the back was seen as something alien. Likewise a full-blooded diving-in challenge was cheered

Therefore a slight distrust with the Narey/Hansen/Buchan style of defenders amongst fans

Edited by Wolfgang Overthebar

Willie Miller was talking about this on Sportsound last night. Taking the field for Scotland with McLeish, Malpas and Gough alongside him and Leighton behind he felt we could take anybody on.

Oh for a defence like that now! :(

This, this, this, this, this. People forget how solid we were at the back in the 80s; in fact, if the players in midfield and up front had been half as dependably effective, we'd maybe have got places.

in fact, if the players in midfield and up front had been half as dependably effective, we'd maybe have got places.

Ludicrous to think about it now but we were probably too spoiled for choice !

I always remember Billy McNeil saying (after his spell as Aberdeen boss) that if he was ever in a bar room brawl, the one man he would want by his side would be Willie Miller, don't think he'd have thought the same about Hansen.

Good thread btw :ok: