Kanous Or Villnias ? - Page 4 - Lithuania v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kanous Or Villnias ?

Robroysboy

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LFF giving their strongest indication yet that game is in Kaunas.

Under soil heating to be installed, with renovation work complete in April, and barring any delays, Lithuania will play Scotland and England there before the ground is completely redeveloped

http://www.delfi.lt/sportas/futbolas/kauno-s-dariaus-ir-s-gireno-stadionas-tures-sildoma-danga.d?id=73963652

Kaunas is a strange wee town.

There's not much to it, and it's a bit run down, but we had a great afternoon there in a no-mark wee bar.

Run by a husband and wife, we had an attack of the beer hunger (there were nine of us) and he got sent out to the shops for stuff with which to make sandwiches for us.

Great people they were and a good laugh.

Stadium was the pits.

On 07/03/2017 at 0:59 PM, wanderer said:

LFF giving their strongest indication yet that game is in Kaunas.

Under soil heating to be installed, with renovation work complete in April, and barring any delays, Lithuania will play Scotland and England there before the ground is completely redeveloped

http://www.delfi.lt/sportas/futbolas/kauno-s-dariaus-ir-s-gireno-stadionas-tures-sildoma-danga.d?id=73963652

LFF is actually trying to get an exception again from UEFA to be allowed to play in Kaunas. If it is successful, the D&G ground will get some minimal "make up" job yhis summer with full renovation starting in 2018.

Btw Kaunas looks like a massive building site, since a new mayor was elected a year ago.

P.S. No alcohol is sold on 1st of September due to the start of school year :D

20 hours ago, jailer said:

Think Kaunas getting unfair stick, stayed there for previous two games v Lithuania. We had a great time on both trips and looking forward to returning again.

Quite agree.

I love Kaunas... A couple of bad Scotland results aside, I've never had anything less than a great time there.

I was saying friends the other day, I've never known anywhere divide opinion like it.
People use the term 'Marmite' to refer to something, which is loved or hated, but the division created by Kaunas is astonishing.
Some (myself included) will defend Kaunas to the hilt, whilst other's are utterly scathing in their hatred of the place.
Even if people disagree on something, they can usually see the other person's perspective, but with Kaunas the liker's cannot see why the hater's, hate it and the hater's cannot see why the liker's, like it.

I remember the last time we were there, we played on the Friday night and I was in Kaunas until the Monday (!)
IIRC, my wish was to stay for the weekend + the logistics of getting to Glasgow for the Liechtenstein match.
I concluded 1) I would easily be the last fan in Kaunas and 2) Sunday night in Kaunas would be very quiet... I was wrong on both counts.
Surprisingly, there were plenty of TA still kicking about two nights after the match and I remember chatting to some on the Sunday afternoon about the whole Kaunas/Marmite thing... 
Those fans who hung around seemed very content; it wasn't raucous; thing's had quietened down, but I remember that jovial, relaxed, balmy autumn afternoon... On the bevvy.

As I said, I don't know why the hater's hate it, but I... I just like the place.

Reading up about it again more recently, there are still thing's in Kaunas I haven't seen.

I'd be happy enough if Kaunas was named the venue.

6 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Quite agree.

I love Kaunas... A couple of bad Scotland results aside, I've never had anything less than a great time there.

I was saying friends the other day, I've never known anywhere divide opinion like it.
People use the term 'Marmite' to refer to something, which is loved or hated, but the division created by Kaunas is astonishing.
Some (myself included) will defend Kaunas to the hilt, whilst other's are utterly scathing in their hatred of the place.
Even if people disagree on something, they can usually see the other person's perspective, but with Kaunas the liker's cannot see why the hater's, hate it and the hater's cannot see why the liker's, like it.

I remember the last time we were there, we played on the Friday night and I was in Kaunas until the Monday (!)
IIRC, my wish was to stay for the weekend + the logistics of getting to Glasgow for the Liechtenstein match.
I concluded 1) I would easily be the last fan in Kaunas and 2) Sunday night in Kaunas would be very quiet... I was wrong on both counts.
Surprisingly, there were plenty of TA still kicking about two nights after the match and I remember chatting to some on the Sunday afternoon about the whole Kaunas/Marmite thing... 
Those fans who hung around seemed very content; it wasn't raucous; thing's had quietened down, but I remember that jovial, relaxed, balmy autumn afternoon... On the bevvy.

As I said, I don't know why the hater's hate it, but I... I just like the place.

Reading up about it again more recently, there are still thing's in Kaunas I haven't seen.

I'd be happy enough if Kaunas was named the venue.

Im probably the exact opposite of you, I despised Kaunas, it was just awful, probably the worst place I have ever been, only Milan comes close to it. I thought it was a cesspit, filled with almost neo nazi fans (Godwins law not invoked), it was like something out of a documentary on the History Channel. Vilnius is a nice city, plenty to do, good locals, nice hotels and bars, pretty scenic, the exact opposite of Kaunas.

More than a 75% chance game will be in Kaunas and despite thoughts on the standard of the stadium it is still far better than the one in Vilnius and will have a much larger capacity. As for Kaunas itself, yes it is not as nice a town as Vilnius but the 'old town' part of Kaunas has some fantastic bars and restaurants too. This will be my third trip there and I like the place, gambled for this occasion by flying in direct from Luton and have an apartment booked Thursday to Sunday in old town. Still time for a wee train journey on the Saturday to Vilnius and back that night so all good as far as I am concerned :spin:

We are staying in vilnius but if its in kaunas its fine as the train station is close to our hotel.Only problem is that will there be a train to bring us back after the game.If no bus it is if any organised ;)

2 hours ago, HIGHTOWER 1314 said:

We are staying in vilnius but if its in kaunas its fine as the train station is close to our hotel.Only problem is that will there be a train to bring us back after the game.If no bus it is if any organised ;)

I hear Rab McDermott is doing buses.