Class Of '92 - Out Of Their League - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Class Of '92 - Out Of Their League

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed that programme.

But the Man Utd players have just turned that club into a plaything for themselves (although no different to Abramovich et al in the EPL)

I thought that a wee bit too.

Why are they doing these things other than a rich boys hobby (plaything as you say) without much thought for the fans and all the people who give up their time to help the club ?

On the other hand, they seem pretty down to earth and mostly decent, humble guys in most programmes I've seen them in.

I think they are caught somewhere in the middle and they seem to struggle with the concept of not meddling too much but yearning for higher standards of football they are used too.

If they do aim to take they club further, they will in time achieve it, but lose the loyal fans and the character of the club along the way.

Enjoyed that programme.

But the Man Utd players have just turned that club into a plaything for themselves (although no different to Abramovich et al in the EPL)

This is exactly the way I see it too. I don't think they can get their head round the fact that there are many, many supporters of clubs like Salford who are happy to just follow their club without desperately clamouring for reaching the highest possible level regardless of what it does to the club.

I know if I was Salford fan I would be very suspicious about that level of change.

Some folk just like local, part time, football.

I thought that a wee bit too.

Why are they doing these things other than a rich boys hobby (plaything as you say) without much thought for the fans and all the people who give up their time to help the club ?

On the other hand, they seem pretty down to earth and mostly decent, humble guys in most programmes I've seen them in.

I think they are caught somewhere in the middle and they seem to struggle with the concept of not meddling too much but yearning for higher standards of football they are used too.

If they do aim to take they club further, they will in time achieve it, but lose the loyal fans and the character of the club along the way.

:ok:

This is exactly the way I see it too. I don't think they can get their head round the fact that there are many, many supporters of clubs like Salford who are happy to just follow their club without desperately clamouring for reaching the highest possible level regardless of what it does to the club.

I know if I was Salford fan I would be very suspicious about that level of change.

Some folk just like local, part time, football.

It's a fair point although I bet they have just as many supporters who do want to see them progress. I think in fairness to them, they admitted that a lot of what went on was completely alien to them.

Personally think that lot always come across as quite humble. Gary Neville in particular really looks like he cares about what they are doing. You can see that his attitude had a big part to Play in what he achieved in his career.

I always thought the Phil Neville to Valencia coaching job was a bit strange, now get the connection as its the same guy who owns Valencia, bought into Salford. Enjoyed the programme, although you get the impression its Gary Neville running the show with the others just popping in every so often.

I always thought the Phil Neville to Valencia coaching job was a bit strange, now get the connection as its the same guy who owns Valencia, bought into Salford. Enjoyed the programme, although you get the impression its Gary Neville running the show with the others just popping in every so often.

Think he'd be the one with the most free time wouldn't he?

The bit about the Sky box was pretty funny as well as the reaction from Scholes when Neville asked him about playing.

Thought there'd be a conflict of interest with an owner being the assistant manager of a team they could potentially play in a competition though.

The big striker is seemingly on £400 a week in the umpteenth tier of English football

Thats not out of the ordinary down here , the village where i live has a population of around 5000 and the local team has a few players on £500 a week, same standard as Salford.

I thought they came out of the program well. They are obviously aware of the changes they are making and what that might mean to people.

They have had a hard time understanding the difference between non league and Man Utd but I think they've dealt with that quite well.

Thats not out of the ordinary down here , the village where i live has a population of around 5000 and the local team has a few players on £500 a week, same standard as Salford.

I used to play in a charity event every year with Stuart Slater (ex-Tims). He was at Forrest Green at the time and was on £900 a week basic. Mental.

I follow a team that is at level two of the non-league and if rumours are right players getting £600+ a week part time is quite common.unfortunately there are too many clubs trying to buy promotion.harrogate town who play at the same level as us are rumoured to have a playing budget of £12,000 a week and the are part time the mind boggles.

ian

Id have thought the money in non league football would be poor nowadays, as was it not all traditionally funded through thriving social clubs?

I think quite a few non-League sides have local benefactors, who plough in relatively large sums through sponsorship, hospitality etc. Still the ordinary punters who keep them going though.