Stone Roses - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Only One Stop said:

I should have been clearer in that it's not in the same Led Zep overly produced style as Second Coming. 

Agree that it doesn't have the subtlety of the first album, but those songs where worked on for years and John Leckie did a great job of producing. 

This time round they not the young, hungry full of self belief band they were in late 80's. This track sounds like it was rushed to get something out before the June gigs. I'm not saying it's great but they were in a hiding to nothing given the near perfection of the debut album, personally I'm not really that taken with Second Coming apart from a few tracks.

The song is utterly disposable.

Second Coming was not overproduced, but granted Led Zep were the influence.

The first album is a stone cold classic full of infectious pop guitar music and there is nothing subtle about it. It's the perfect guitar pop album. It shimmers and grooves.

This new track is just stale. Brown's solo stuff is miles ahead of it. It's not even just the lyrics, the guitar melody has been pilfered from an early Fall track. The drums are pish and Mani is almost non existent. It's not a grower, it's not the band working as a coherent 4 piece.

Nothing to do with age. They are not on a hiding to nothing as long as they can deliver exquisite clever rock pop.....

Just saying.

• 4 weeks later...

Got two seperate seating tickets for Friday I need rid of. If anyone is looking for any PM me, open to offers. Or if anyone is going and wants to punt them down there and takr a cut also open to offers. 

Work got in the way of going and kinda forgot about it.

Was anyone there on Saturday night?  I was and have to say Brown's voice was awful for the first half of the gig.  I'm not sure if there were sound issues or not as he seemed to be out of time at points as well as out of tune.  I know you don't go to a Roses gig expecting Brown to sing like Pavarotti but it was bad even for him, although by the end of it you couldn't really hear him for the entire crowd belting it back.  I think it must have been sound issues though as the sound for Public Enemy was awful as well.

All that being said though, I thought it was a cracking gig by the end and the atmosphere was amazing.  And the flares and smoke bombs on the pitch looked fantastic!!!

20 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Sitting having a shit in a bar in Manchester and I can't fvcking wait. 

This Is The One ??

Typical Aberdeen. Hopefully someone learns you to use a toilet sometime soon......

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

What a weekend. The Pen and Pencil was absolutely rocking before it. 

Was in Dry Bar Saturday afternoon, fantastic tunes. Then got taken to a "proper bar" by some locals. The words Trainspotting toilets were used more than once.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Was anyone there on Saturday night?  I was and have to say Brown's voice was awful for the first half of the gig.  I'm not sure if there were sound issues or not as he seemed to be out of time at points as well as out of tune.  I know you don't go to a Roses gig expecting Brown to sing like Pavarotti but it was bad even for him, although by the end of it you couldn't really hear him for the entire crowd belting it back.  I think it must have been sound issues though as the sound for Public Enemy was awful as well.

All that being said though, I thought it was a cracking gig by the end and the atmosphere was amazing.  And the flares and smoke bombs on the pitch looked fantastic!!!

I was there and yeah PE sound didn't seem great and I was front left of stage, pretty close in. Seen a few clips and Browns voice did seem a bit off in them but never really noticed at the time as, as you said, amount of sound around about me seemed to drown him out most of the gig. A cracking gig thought and atmosphere was superb. Normally you see the odd bit of bother at these types of gig but everyone seemed to be so happy, in bars before, on way, at gig, even walking back into town afterwards.

Better no let the bedwetters read those comments on the flares and smokebombs tho.

I'm broken. 

I remember when I used to be able to be in the lash for days with very little sleep and loads of drink. 

Not anymore,didn't feel bad yesterday morning,but all the vodka sank last night is really taking its toll now. :(

On 20 June 2016 at 11:30 AM, Fairbairn said:

Was there Friday and Saturday. Browns vocals better on Friday.

think that for a few songs on Saturday brown's mic was turned down and Reni's turned up. 

Still a bit of tension between the 2 of them. 

• 3 months later...