Anyone Into Watches - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cartier le must, Omega Seamaster and Tag Monaco, varies depending on the colour of ma shoes

Tag valued at 3 x cost, you'll not lose money on buying a decent watch

Had a Panerai Luminor for a couple of years.

Next purchase is a Rolex GMT Master

I still fancy getting hold of my mates Heuer from around 91, before they merged with Tag - think it cost him £250 at that time

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just purchased this last week. I've never really worn a watch, other than my Casio's that I use for work and refereeing. Been looking to get something decent, that would at least hold a bit of value, without going totally over the score price wise. Was between this and a very similar looking Oris. Obviously a good watch in it's own right, but it just wasn't jumping out at me in the same way. Spoken to a few folk that are into their watches in a big way and they reckon I made a decent choice.

Managed to get £200 off in the shop too which wasn't a bad start. Would welcome any comments as there are clearly lads on here that know their watches.....or maybe they just have too much feckin money :-))

312ycdx.jpg

Just purchased this last week. I've never really worn a watch, other than my Casio's that I use for work and refereeing. Been looking to get something decent, that would at least hold a bit of value, without going totally over the score price wise. Was between this and a very similar looking Oris. Obviously a good watch in it's own right, but it just wasn't jumping out at me in the same way. Spoken to a few folk that are into their watches in a big way and they reckon I made a decent choice.

Managed to get £200 off in the shop too which wasn't a bad start. Would welcome any comments as there are clearly lads on here that know their watches.....or maybe they just have too much feckin money :-))

312ycdx.jpg

I like Longines, the brand has a great history, good build quality and they have been making some nice watches lately.

At the end of the day with watches, if you like it that's what matters, whether its off a market stall or a £50k Patek Philippe.

I like Longines, the brand has a great history, good build quality and they have been making some nice watches lately.

At the end of the day with watches, if you like it that's what matters, whether its off a market stall or a £50k Patek Philippe.

Am I right in saying the mechanism is built by Omega? Anyone I've spoken to, including the lassie in the shop said much the same.

My mate, who is into watches, urged me to go for Oris as he felt Longines was a bit boring and 'old fashioned'. Looking at the various Oris watches I actually thought it was the other way about.

If I had unlimited cash I wouldn't mind an Omega Seamaster Professional. £4k for one of them though.

312ycdx.jpg

You'll no go wrong with Longines. They've been on the go since the 1800's, so must be doing something right.

Am I right in saying the mechanism is built by Omega? Anyone I've spoken to, including the lassie in the shop said much the same.

My mate, who is into watches, urged me to go for Oris as he felt Longines was a bit boring and 'old fashioned'. Looking at the various Oris watches I actually thought it was the other way about.

If I had unlimited cash I wouldn't mind an Omega Seamaster Professional. £4k for one of them though.

Same parent company: Swatch, if they have the same/similar movements they would be finished to a different standard? Just guessing, worth some research, that's the other fun part finding out all about the watch and the movement etc

Interesting ranking of brands here have to say I wasn't really familiar with Oris.

Same parent company: Swatch, if they have the same/similar movements they would be finished to a different standard? Just guessing, worth some research, that's the other fun part finding out all about the watch and the movement etc

Interesting ranking of brands here have to say I wasn't really familiar with Oris.

Certainly the woman in the shop was saying it was one of the things that stood them apart from the Oris although she was quick to say that both were very well made. Like a few of them on that forum her main selling points were history, continuity, reliability etc.

Decent read that. Good to see, that for my price range anyway, Longines is thought to be well up there.

312ycdx.jpg

Was picking my watch up from the jewellers this afternoon and was looking at these. Some nice watches in the range.

J

Was into watches as a kid as they were the gadgets of their day. But now I can't stand wearing them or any other jewellery.

Plus everyone carries a mobile or tablet now so they are redundant. Why do you need a watch in the modern age?

Because your battery died on your phone or tablet? Edited by Debian

312ycdx.jpg

It was a toss up between an oris and a tissot for myself not too long back. I favoured getting an oris because I hadn't had that brand before.

I couldn't find one that I liked. They also never really sat right on my wrist. Maybe that was a subconscious thing though.

I'd say you made a wonderful choice. Lovely watch.

It was a toss up between an oris and a tissot for myself not too long back. I favoured getting an oris because I hadn't had that brand before.

I couldn't find one that I liked. They also never really sat right on my wrist. Maybe that was a subconscious thing though.

I'd say you made a wonderful choice. Lovely watch.

Cheers

This is the Oris I looked at. Really not a lot of difference.

http://www.houseofwatches.co.uk/oris-mens-williams-blue-dial-watch-735-7716-4155-07b?gclid=CN7Pzdee-sgCFeoJwwod9YMDgQ

Omega Seamaster planet ocean chronograph is my next watch purchase. Some of the 007 range is cracking aswell and may well hold value slightly better.

My Tommy Hilfiger watch purchased over 3 years ago from Century 21 in NYC for $70 is still one of the best watches I've ever owned. It's indestructible and only recently needed a battery for the first time since I bought it. Quite smart looking too.

Anyone heard of Skagen watches? saw these in Jenners the other day thought some of them looked rather nice. I've got 6 watches (including a Kenneth Cole, Guess, Armani, Kahuna) and I'm developing a want for some more. Thinking about Tissot as well.

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Skagen+SKW6076+Balder+Titanium+Mens+Bracelet+Sport+Watch/194161548,default,pd.html

Edited by biffer

Anyone heard of Skagen watches? saw these in Jenners the other day thought some of them looked rather nice. I've got 6 watches (including a Kenneth Cole, Guess, Armani, Kahuna) and I'm developing a want for some more. Thinking about Tissot as well.

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Skagen+SKW6076+Balder+Titanium+Mens+Bracelet+Sport+Watch/194161548,default,pd.html

Like the Skagen watches with the mesh bracelet, nice dress watch.

Edited by hoodster

A guy we were talking to in a bar in Hong Kong claimed that all the EPL footballers and the likes would buy an expensive watch, then buy a good quality copy in Hong Kong for every day wear.

Not sure if it's true, but guy wasn't an obvious bullshitter and had no apparent reason to make it up.

Couldn't be bothered to hunt the guy down he told us to buy from and ended up buying an Armani one from a real jewellers.

I like a nice watch, but more in the £80-200 bracket.

Canny really see the point in this, I personally wouldn't wear a fake watch as I feel getting your head kicked in for a 30 quid watch that you are trying to pass as genuine would Hurd on so many levels.

Better to buy a £30 watch that is not a major player for every day use and keep the "good one" for times you are sure to behave.

Canny really see the point in this, I personally wouldn't wear a fake watch as I feel getting your head kicked in for a 30 quid watch that you are trying to pass as genuine would Hurd on so many levels.

Better to buy a £30 watch that is not a major player for every day use and keep the "good one" for times you are sure to behave.

???

A guy we were talking to in a bar in Hong Kong claimed that all the EPL footballers and the likes would buy an expensive watch, then buy a good quality copy in Hong Kong for every day wear.

Not sure if it's true, but guy wasn't an obvious bullshitter and had no apparent reason to make it up.

Couldn't be bothered to hunt the guy down he told us to buy from and ended up buying an Armani one from a real jewellers.

I like a nice watch, but more in the £80-200 bracket.

There is zero chance that this is true as how many EPL players would have actually been to Hong Kong, certainly not all of them! Even for those that have been to HK I very much doubt the vast majority would wear a fake, it just doesn't fit in with their lifestyle and mentality.

I'd say the guy was an obvious bullshitter of the highest order!

I also wouldn't wear a fake. Before I bought my watch (Rolex Daytona) I opted for simple 50 -150 pound watches that I like the look of, as opposed to buying a fake.

• 5 weeks later...

Got a very nice Rolex that I have worn maybe 2 times. Scared to wear it too often.

Also got a nice Cartier that hardly ever gets worn.

I have got two Raymond Weil watches that I use for everyday use.

Would like to get more watches as an investment.