Tamb Cycling Thread - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone done the "three ferries" http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Three_Ferries-Cycle-Route-143.html

I'm currently trying to plan a wee day oot with some boys I work with who all cycle decent distances so it'll be nae bother for them but some others who don't cycle much have shown interest. Achievable for the 1/2 times a year cyclist? And more importantly is there any decent boozers along the route to neck a pint and a bit of scran, purely for replenishing energy!!

I did it last year with a mixed group of cyclists, all of whom were well south of forty. It is a lovely, fun ride if, like me, you like cycling and boats. There is a long climb over to Lochranza and a sharp one out of Tighnabruich but it is a good manageable ride if you keep fueled up. You will be able to do that at lots of places in Tarbert where we stopped for coffee and cake. Our first pint was in the Colintraive Hotel and we ended up with a few jars in The Black Bull in Rothesay which will also do you food. Have a good one.

Sorry, just noticed it was the three ferries not the five ferries route. I've done this one as well, though many years ago. The climb from the head of Loch Striven up to Loch Tarsan certainly is a sharp one if memory serves correct. You could fuel up at The Colintraive hotel and then treat yourself to a couple of pints down the other side at The Holy Loch Inn at Sandbank or the old one just as you come in to the village on your left which reopened last year.

Been asked by a few folk I have bumped into on rides about joining Falkirk , let me know how you get on. Saturday's weather is looking good so I'm aiming to get out

I've noticed they've got a requirement to fit a midguard in the winter. Probably standard. Will take me til Saturday to fit one probably :lol:

Should be ok without on your first run out . Just sit near the back so you aren't splashing people

Best to get off on the right foot right away. There are few things more unpopular in the bunch in winter than someone with no mudguards.And no one wants to be hanging off the back of the bunch.

If you've never ridden with a group before then you should definitely try it out. You will be amazed at how much easier it is compared to riding alone, and is also more enjoyable when you have people to chat with as you ride. It might take a wee bit of getting used to having other riders so close to you, but you'll get over that quickly.

Best to get off on the right foot right away. There are few things more unpopular in the bunch in winter than someone with no mudguards.And no one wants to be hanging off the back of the bunch.

I've bought guards aye, I'm looking forward to it actually.

It's as much for my own benefit too, but yes the etiquette is important.

If you've never ridden with a group before then you should definitely try it out. You will be amazed at how much easier it is compared to riding alone, and is also more enjoyable when you have people to chat with as you ride. It might take a wee bit of getting used to having other riders so close to you, but you'll get over that quickly.

It's meeting some like minded people, bar one or two, none of my pals excercise never mind cycle. Will hopefully improve and pick up some decent advice too.

There are a few etiquette things to get used to - point out obstacles, don't overlap wheels, etc - but the main thing is just to ride predictably.

The overlapping wheels is very important or you will at some point end up on the road along with a few others probably.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone done the big belter route for the pedal for Scotland charity event? Most I've done in one day is about 80 miles on my cycle cross with slicks on which was fairly flat and leisurely, 110 miles should be achievable but was wanting an insight on the route, the difficulties and event before signing up for a charity raising thing for work. I've now got a carbon road bike which I will use for this if suitable. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, especially as a few are reluctant but with more of us doing it the more money we will raise.

Has anyone done the big belter route for the pedal for Scotland charity event? Most I've done in one day is about 80 miles on my cycle cross with slicks on which was fairly flat and leisurely, 110 miles should be achievable but was wanting an insight on the route, the difficulties and event before signing up for a charity raising thing for work. I've now got a carbon road bike which I will use for this if suitable. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, especially as a few are reluctant but with more of us doing it the more money we will raise.

Had a look at that route on their website, looks crackin'! I'd love to do that but won't be home in September :(

Edited by derekfaejapan

Did the 50 last year. Will look to do the longer route this time.

Any home mechanics on here?

I was surprised at how many variants of rear mech hangers that are out there. Currently overhauling an old specialized crossroads bike.

Frame is in decent Nick, just need to replace bent rear derailleur and I didn't realise hangers are almost bespoke to each model. Not exactly readily available and approx £10 for a small piece of metal is a rip off.