Tamb Cycling Thread - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one. What kind of biking will you mostly be doing?

Off road / country trails mainly I'm thinking. Not so much extreme mountain biking like going down big hills etc. maybe use it sometime to cycle to work or the gym as well.

From what I've read I think a hard tail is best but will go to a good shop and ask for advice there

Off road / country trails mainly I'm thinking. Not so much extreme mountain biking like going down big hills etc. maybe use it sometime to cycle to work or the gym as well.

From what I've read I think a hard tail is best but will go to a good shop and ask for advice there

Aye, unless you have your heart set on something then shop advice is always good.

If you often visit the places where you will be cycling then it might be worthwhile to check out what other folk are riding.

Got into cycling start of 2013. Didn't have a clue what I was doing re kit and routes so joined a forum. Found a group of Scottish people with mix of bikes, ages, abilities etc and got really into it.

Did about 2000 miles 2013, 3k last year and 4200 so far this year. Seen so much more of Scotland since i started, been over to Arran a few times, up perthshire , down in borders.

Currently ride a 2014 cube peloton which I got through cycle to work. Upgrading early next year to a lighter carbon bike, cube c62 Race which I should be able to get for 1900 with British cycling discount.

Use Strava, record through a Harmon than use my phone. Top tip if using Strava through phone, switch off Internet when recording and save battery life as gps works without.

Re buying a bike, go a few places to look. If you aren't sure how often you plan to use it, the btwin bikes from decathalon offer good value, and they are guaranteed for a year and grim what I'm told rarely quibble anything u want fixed.

Cycling is the best decision I have ever made. Getting outdoors and taking in the world is great for the soul. Not many sports where stopping for cake is encouraged!

Hard tail is your best option, It will even allow you to do up to red routes at trail centres.

Full suspension will let you ride harder when your downing actual mountain biking but would be no benefit at all when cycling to work. I bought a GT avalanche Expert last year and have absolutely thrashed it, its been a fantastic bike. I use it to cycle to work everyday and then out to places like Glentress at the weekend. Think it's reduced to around £500 at the moment.

Make sure whatever you plump for that it has good front forks (Cant go wrong with Fox or Rockshox) and has hydraulic disc brakes.

Hard tail is your best option, It will even allow you to do up to red routes at trail centres.

Full suspension will let you ride harder when your downing actual mountain biking but would be no benefit at all when cycling to work. I bought a GT avalanche Expert last year and have absolutely thrashed it, its been a fantastic bike. I use it to cycle to work everyday and then out to places like Glentress at the weekend. Think it's reduced to around £500 at the moment.

Make sure whatever you plump for that it has good front forks (Cant go wrong with Fox or Rockshox) and has hydraulic disc brakes.

Cheers man :ok:

I've heard about rockshox from a mate who recommended a bike with them.

I'm in NZ just now and there's loads of shops, should be able to get a decent one

Use Strava, record through a Harmon than use my phone. Top tip if using Strava through phone, switch off Internet when recording and save battery life as gps works without.

Really? I had no idea about that, although it does make perfect sense in a way...I'm going out later so will give it a try.

Recorded my longest ride yet on Strava yesterday (77.4Mi). Had to carry a battery with me.

Are you following a guy called Steven Abraham on Strava? >>> https://www.strava.com/athletes/1419435

He's doing 200Mi+ rides every day as he's trying to break a world record...Sadly, it looks like he won't make it though.

I've got a Boardman Comp mtb that has done me well for the last 4 years. Don't do any proper downhills, just along trails and canal towpaths etc. I was doing about 100 miles a week on it last summer and this spring on roads, so I bit the bullet and got a Cannondale Synapse road bike. Great decision. It's got a relaxed geometry, so it's a bit easier on my back. My biggest ride in the summer was 64 miles, in about the same time it was taking me to do 40 miles on the mtb. Still got the flat pedals, but will be going for clipless next year. I use strava. Good tip about turning the internet off :ok:

(Writing this as I chow down on a recovery meal)

Ride a 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 (with triple). Currently doing 30 and 40km rides every three days (2 days on 1 off), just to get back into shape after a few months rest after the Summer - went to the Rhone Alpes for a week to watch the Tour and do some climbing. Completed the Col du Telegraphe, Col du Galibier, Alpe d'Huez and Col du Mollard over four days, then watched three stages. The descent off the Galibier was incredible, 20 of the best minutes of my life despite going off the road twice (once because of a crosswind, once my fault).

Also have my old Scott AFD 309 tat I'm going to try and upgrade into a decent enough steed, too.

Have a Garmin Edge, so use Garmin Connect for tracking and planning rides. Use a Virb, too, so have video of all my rides to keep me from getting bored when I get on the indoor trainer once the snow and ice comes.

The GCN (Global Cycling Network) videos on Youtube are good for folk getting into cycling, looking for tips/advice on the mechanical side of things etc as well as news from the sport.

One tip I'd give anyone getting into it, is to make sure you have the essentials (spare tubes/tyre levers etc*) with you every time you go out on the bike - nothing worse than puncturing and having to walk home, especially in cleats.

*Phone and money, too.

Really? I had no idea about that, although it does make perfect sense in a way...I'm going out later so will give it a try.

Recorded my longest ride yet on Strava yesterday (77.4Mi). Had to carry a battery with me.

Are you following a guy called Steven Abraham on Strava? >>> https://www.strava.com/athletes/1419435

He's doing 200Mi+ rides every day as he's trying to break a world record...Sadly, it looks like he won't make it though.

When I used to use phone, I'd switch to flight mode and only come out if I had to use phone. Did a 75 mile ride over about 8 hours that way and still has half battery on an iPhone 5. Can pick up a garmin ( what Harmon was meant to say earlier) for under 100 quid, good if you are doing long distances as can see speed, distance etc in front of you.

Following Steve And two other guys doing it. Him being knocked off his bike by a drunk driver took the steam out the bid. Know some people who know him, and even before the attempt he was well known for crazy audaxing distances.

As Chico says, take phone, money , stuff to eat and I always carry a waterproof jacket as u never know when you might need an extra layer after a mechanical or fall. Done some cycling places without signal, and has to walk when pump broke nipple off spare The spare tube :(

Practice changing an inner tube indoors before you ever have to do one when out.

When I used to use phone, I'd switch to flight mode and only come out if I had to use phone. Did a 75 mile ride over about 8 hours that way and still has half battery on an iPhone 5. Can pick up a garmin ( what Harmon was meant to say earlier) for under 100 quid, good if you are doing long distances as can see speed, distance etc in front of you.

Following Steve And two other guys doing it. Him being knocked off his bike by a drunk driver took the steam out the bid. Know some people who know him, and even before the attempt he was well known for crazy audaxing distances.

As Chico says, take phone, money , stuff to eat and I always carry a waterproof jacket as u never know when you might need an extra layer after a mechanical or fall. Done some cycling places without signal, and has to walk when pump broke nipple off spare The spare tube :(

Practice changing an inner tube indoors before you ever have to do one when out.

Put your hands in a bowl of iced water for 5 minutes before for that authentic out-on-the-road feel!

I used to go mountain biking more or less every week. Hardly go at all now, just use the bike for getting to remote hills. Even did the trail centre leader course back in the day but never really used it.

This is my current bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lapierre/pro-race-500-2011-mountain-bike-ec024825Previously had a Lapierre Zesty 514 but sold it and got the hard tail.

Great advice! I done a 19 miler before bed last night and it only used 7% of the battery whilst on Airplane mode.

I only found out about Steve's record attempt in summer so had to read up on him being knocked off his bike...Had no idea it was a drunk driver.

The other guy I'm following is Kurt Searvogel.

I ended up unfollowing both on Strava as ruined it when I checked against who I followed on any of the monthly challenges! Follow a thread on cycle chat about it to see how getting on, can't believe he started a second effort in August so will be doing 20 months straight to try and get a clear run at it. Madness

I ended up unfollowing both on Strava as ruined it when I checked against who I followed on any of the monthly challenges! Follow a thread on cycle chat about it to see how getting on, can't believe he started a second effort in August so will be doing 20 months straight to try and get a clear run at it. Madness

He restated it in August!? FFS...That man is a machine.

47km done today. ecent enough weather, but rubbish legs. Although, only 3 minutes slower than yesterday (and I did stop for a 'besoin naturelle') so maybe it was just my head that was rubbish.

Good effort. 3 minutes is nothing over that distance. If anything alters my times it's nearly always the wind.