Celtic Vs Molde - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Didn't take long for the Tims to blame Aberdeen for their team being pure feckin honkin' in Europe

No ones blaming Aberdeen for anything. Their fans are all over this taking the piss as I would expect but they don't like it when someone bites back so get off your high horse!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For example lets say it was suggested that 50% of prize money from Europe (and internationals if that applies) went into a central pot to fund an explosion of quality 3/4G pitches across the country you'd find the clubs who regularly qualify for Europe would be against that - only a theoretical example but its that sort of thinking which could help produce more players of a higher standard.

I seriously doubt any Scottish club are making any money from Europe other than Celtic and it will be interesting to see how much if anything from this campaign.

Sorry to piss all over your idea but its not a very good one is it?

For example lets say it was suggested that 50% of prize money from Europe (and internationals if that applies) went into a central pot to fund an explosion of quality 3/4G pitches across the country you'd find the clubs who regularly qualify for Europe would be against that - only a theoretical example but its that sort of thinking which could help produce more players of a higher standard.

I seriously doubt any Scottish club are making any money from Europe other than Celtic and it will be interesting to see how much if anything from this campaign.

Sorry to piss all over your idea but its not a very good one is it?

Aye you're right.

Providing good quality facilities to develop young players on is a rotten idea.

Aye you're right.

Providing good quality facilities to develop young players on is a rotten idea.

Apart from the fact you're basically asking for one or two clubs to pay for it facilities aren't even the main problem. An academy based system that doesn't work, lack of school football, council charges, lack of good coaching and a senior set up that puts TV money first are all at least as big a problem.

I don't know about your area but there are loads of 3g/4g pitches round here but to let them aint cheap!

Apart from the fact you're basically asking for one or two clubs to pay for it facilities aren't even the main problem. An academy based system that doesn't work, lack of school football, council charges, lack of good coaching and a senior set up that puts TV money first are all at least as big a problem.

I don't know about your area but there are loads of 3g/4g pitches round here but to let them aint cheap!

£38 for 1/4 pitch for 1hr round my way. £120 to hire the full pitch for a game.

They do a Football Partnership whereby you can hire a full pitch for £40.....but only at the weekend. I was running a team a couple of years back and had to pay the full £120 for a midweek game.

So in effect if a club wants to train twice a week they are £140 (including ref) down before they have even thought about strips, training gear, balls, water bottles etc.

£38 for 1/4 pitch for 1hr round my way. £120 to hire the full pitch for a game.

They do a Football Partnership whereby you can hire a full pitch for £40.....but only at the weekend. I was running a team a couple of years back and had to pay the full £120 for a midweek game.

So in effect if a club wants to train twice a week they are £140 (including ref) down before they have even thought about strips, training gear, balls, water bottles etc.

That's not sustainable in many areas especially some of the poorer ones. It has to be subsidised from somewhere but the pressure on government budgets local and national is enormous.

That's not sustainable in many areas especially some of the poorer ones. It has to be subsidised from somewhere but the pressure on government budgets local and national is enormous.

Tell me about it mate, I work for the ers. The cuts just keep on increasing every year.

The team I ran was always just treading water. And that was with a £500 cash injection twice a year by a local publican. You got the odd training course but to go and do proper courses such as D license and the likes costs a ridiculous amount of money and you also need to take a week off work.

Have to say the club academy Scotland, that's affiliated to the clubs is a very positive step on the whole. Laddies are well organised and disciplined and the majority of them are encouraged to play a passing game.

Not actually sure what involvement the Government has on that, if any. I think it's all done through the SFA with the clubs themselves obviously contributing.

The clubs are not interested in working together to improve the quality.

Scottish football is riddled from top to bottom with self interest.

No real easy solutions but until there is a concerted effort from all involved we'll keep going round in circles and see clubs in our league lose to sides which most would think they shouldn't. Ditto the national side.

I don't buy the theory that we can't improve significantly either as there are plenty of examples of countries doing just that and punching above what we'd consider to be their weight.

Exactly right. If the Scottish league was a competition rather than a procession our teams might be ready for Europe. But then Celtic like winning the league by 20 points every year, and the rest like playing Celtic four times so nothing will change.

Money spent on absolute shite yet we are way ahead of the rest at home.

That is the truly embarrassing bit. We are dreadful yet look at the rest. Surely this season we would get a challenge while we have this crap on show.

Well, Dundee Utd's best players were sitting unused on the bench. Hibs best player wasn't even stripped. If you want that to change you need to change the rules - salary cap, max squad size, more equitable sharing of money, whatever you can think of.

But I still don't think you actually want a competitive league.