Scotland's Superhospital - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's Superhospital

I never said it was a miracle.

I said that the programme (quite rightly) highlighted the many positive aspects, and that the people who work there...as in all hospitals...generally do a brilliant job under often difficult circumstances.

There are improvements to be made, that goes without saying, but ferfuxsake, maybe some people could try and look on the positive side.

Edited by Rossy

Eight hours without being seen !

Now, if you'd actually read all of that article you would already know that that just isn't true. If you are like most other folk and just read the headline and the first few lines after it, then that might explain your ignorance?

I think the nationalist automated obfuscate rebuttal machine is broken again, it's chucking out non-sequiturs.

Maybe the turning back on of the swear filter has affected it?

I'm not sure that waiting times in hospitals are affected that much by nationalism? Could be wrong though?

Aren't most major new hospitals prone to teething problems? It's a while ago now but Crosshouse Hospital was an absolulte nightmare for a while after Kilmarnock Infirmary shut.

Saw the programme last night and thought it was very well made, although I find it tough seeing really sick kids. I will watch the first one on the iPlayer soon.

Edited by Toepoke

Now, if you'd actually read all of that article you would already know that that just isn't true. If you are like most other folk and just read the headline and the first few lines after it, then that might explain your ignorance?

Oops, you're right it was only a six hour wait. I withdraw my previous comment. All is brilliant.

I'm not sure that waiting times in hospitals are affected that much by nationalism? Could be wrong though?

I have no idea why you're asking me if you're sure or not about the proposition "nationalism affects waiting times",why you're wondering that in the first place, or why you think i can tell you if you're wrong in this context.

I suspect a misunderstanding of my post, however my curiosity is far outweighed by my apathy.

What is wrong about claiming a six hour wait on a trolley in a corridor? I've read the article several times now, perhaps citing what it says as opposed to just saying "nope you're wrong" might be a more fruitful way to discover the truth rather than surmising on folks motives?

"The patient who sadly passed away in the early hours of Tuesday morning after a six-hour wait had an initial assessment by a member of nursing staff on arrival at the immediate assessment unit (IAU) at the hospital."

"A newspaper reported that an elderly man died on a trolley at the flagship Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow after waiting eight hours for treatment earlier this week."

Two claims one by a newspaper and one by the spokesperson.

Edited by phart

Looking back, i think this will hinge on what people regard as "seen" meaning in the original context.

On reflection "treatment" would have been a better word than "seen". However, my experience of hospitals is that you are usually given an "initial assessment", i.e. seen, pretty quickly, this does not equate to being treated in my opinion.

Edited by the lunger

It's an impressive building but speaking to friends in the medical profession the private room policy baffles them. It was touched on the program as they hadn't taken into account the turnaround time between patients increasing hence delays getting people in. Private rooms sounds great but I think on a practical basis is difficult to justify.

Moving into a new building is going to have some teething issues. It could be 99% successful and any issue will be blown out of all proportion as it's the NHS. One the other side you have the NHS taken as some kind of cult like status where it can do no wrong. I'm sure people who get treatment in Netherlands, USA and Australia sing the praises of their respective systems.

Wife was in there last September '14 and August this year. Like all places there are good staff, there are stars who should be awarded knighthoods and carried through the streets on the shoulders of others and there are poor staff who are staggering in their bad attitude and arrogance.

(On a side note according to IFS between 2009/10 and 2015/16 the planned spend on health will fall by 1.2% in Scotland, and rise by 4.4% in England....)​

It was only a feckin TV programme.

It pointed out some good, some bad. The nurses looking after the sick kids came across as doing a brilliant job.

Hope that keeps everyone happy. Open up another thread for 'gripes I read in the paper'.

I've been up and down to it for the previous few months. The building is stunning and the facilities are great however (for everyone under 70, free wifi etc...) it is very obvious that there isn't enough staff due to the single room policy. The staff are stressed out their box and cannot do it all. They really need to re-think the single room policy or somehow get more staff from somewhere.

One other issue is the loneliness for long term patients. My Dad has been in for some lengthy spells in the previous Southern but on this occasion he was certainly more lonely and got quite down. I'm not 100% saying this was due to the single room but being able to talk to someone certainly helped his previous stays. The staff just don't have the time to stop for a chat.....

My final point is that the staff that are there are all amazing. Really can't remember meeting an arrogant or uncaring staff member yet. A credit to the NHS!!

It was only a feckin TV programme.

It pointed out some good, some bad. The nurses looking after the sick kids came across as doing a brilliant job.

Hope that keeps everyone happy. Open up another thread for 'gripes I read in the paper'.

Good point. :ok:

I just don't like the way the media deliberately distort the facts to try and make the NHS look worse than it is. It's obviously not perfect, by a long way, but it's not nearly as bad as the media would like us to think, IMO.