Who Would Fight? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who Would Fight?

Who's to say you would have a choice? Conscription

Not sure people would accept conscription in this day and age.

We've come a long way since WW2, Vietnam. We question things that we are told. Not nearly as much as we should, but more than we used to 75 years ago.

That said, would Nasism be able to come to such power in this day and age?

Sure localised bad things like Isis and the Balkans, but a global war?

We are too locked in and interdependent on global trade (one of the most important consequences of global capitalism).

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Not sure people would accept conscription in this day and age.

We've come a long way since WW2, Vietnam. We question things that we are told. Not nearly as much as we should, but more than we used to 75 years ago.

That said, would Nasism be able to come to such power in this day and age?

Sure localised bad things like Isis and the Balkans, but a global war?

We are too locked in and interdependent on global trade (one of the most important consequences of global capitalism).

J

saw a program about conscription for Vietnam you watched a TV show that was basically a lottery machine and if your date of birth matched the numbers you went

saw a program about conscription for Vietnam you watched a TV show that was basically a lottery machine and if your date of birth matched the numbers you went

that bullshit. No wonder those guys burnt the draft papers. All for such a pointless war.

Got to respect those who fought, but I respect those that said no, and spent some time in the clink being branded cowards by the system.

Personally I'd have been on the first train to Canada if my numbers had of come up.

Could you imagine if we had conscription and being forced to fight some neo-colonial type war in Syria vs Isis? Feck that!

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

In every war there are ways of fighting that are less horrific than some others or where your odds of survival are better... so better to crew a battleship in the Great War than be a Sopwith pilot or infantryman at the Somme.

The trick is to work out the cushy number in the next war (drone pilot is my current guess) and make sure you get drafted in for that...

In every war there are ways of fighting that are less horrific than some others or where your odds of survival are better... so better to crew a battleship in the Great War than be a Sopwith pilot or infantryman at the Somme.

The trick is to work out the cushy number in the next war (drone pilot is my current guess) and make sure you get drafted in for that...

My Dads mate in the states was in the Navy, he did exactly this in Vietnam, rather than get drafted as a grunt and end up getting killed in the jungle he joined the Navy.

What happened then? He ended up as a skipper of a gunboat (Apocolypse Now style) patrolling up and down the Mekong Delta. Balls deep in the shit!

Our nexdoor neighbour was an aircraft mechanic on a number of aircraft carriers during Vietnam, he was a pretty cool guy, and a great guitar player.

J

I can't imagine many of us would refuse to fight an enemy who were bombing the shit out of Scotland!

Well enough were too shitebag and still are to oppose union so you might be surprised. Maybe not bombs bjt theyre wrecking the country in another way.

Ti answer the original post. No thanks, id be away somewhere peaceful