Armistice Day Is Match Day. - Page 2 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Armistice Day Is Match Day.

cowden soldier

Whether the anthems get booed or whatever surely for a few minutes that day namely at 11am we can all come together to remember the dead.

Absolutely. :ok: I will for one.

The anthem thing is just a bit of banter, anyone who takes a wee bit of booing at a song, to heart, really needs to reassess their life priorities!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Home" game for me. Will be dropping the kids off at school then heading to the train station. Staying at my cousins in Camden, then a leisurely train back on Saturday.

J

Same here a lot easier and cheaper getting to/from London than Glasgow will get megabus down on Saturday morning then another bus home early hours of Sunday cost no more than £9 return happy days

• 2 months later...

I'll be respecting it like I have my whole life but pride is something I won't be feeling.

Well put. I agree.

I'd like to think the commemoration before the match will be respectful too. But I doubt it. It'll be jingoistic bollocks, squaddies carting on the match ball, union flags fluttering at all corners, chinless wonders like the Duke of York and the Prime Minister in attendance, tannoy demands that we remember all the sacrifices made (but not by those on the wrong end of British imperial power)

Well put. I agree.

I'd like to think the commemoration before the match will be respectful too. But I doubt it. It'll be jingoistic bollocks, squaddies carting on the match ball, union flags fluttering at all corners, chinless wonders like the Duke of York and the Prime Minister in attendance, tannoy demands that we remember all the sacrifices made (but not by those on the wrong end of British imperial power)

Was of the understanding that the commemoration ceremony was the sunday.

Was of the understanding that the commemoration ceremony was the sunday.

It is but they still do loads of cringeworthy displays of jingoism and blind worship of the military across the UK in the days before it. There will undoubtedly be something planned for Wembley.

But of course, it's pretty much sacrilege to criticise the British military and the many, many dark chapters in it's history, even on the TAMB :rolleyes: .............

It is but they still do loads of cringeworthy displays of jingoism and blind worship of the military across the UK in the days before it. There will undoubtedly be something planned for Wembley.

I'd be pretty surprised. Remember its a UEFA qualifier and they tend to take a dim view on anything that's remotely political.

I'd be pretty surprised. Remember its a UEFA qualifier and they tend to take a dim view on anything that's remotely political.

The English FA, Downing Street and the MOD public relations department will do whatever they want. And UEFA won't want to upset one of the biggest moneymakers they have.

Fully expect this game to feature a "celebration" of the armed forces and war.

The English FA, Downing Street and the MOD public relations department will do whatever they want. And UEFA won't want to upset one of the biggest moneymakers they have.

Fully expect this game to feature a "celebration" of the armed forces and war.

You mean that's what you want to see