Ufc - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who doesn't want to see 2 women (or guys) kicking each other in the head?

Haha i've just been thinking about this.

I have no idea, I loved watching Rousey get knocked out though. It was a beautifully executed gameplan from Hoim, and ronda was shown up as a hype job.

What qualities do they have to make them some of the best?

Well the best fans are in the minority, but the folk who actually are martial artists themselves. Fighters don't get paid a lot, so fans band together to help them with camps, offer free sparring. Unfortunately they are massively under-represented compared to the "Tap-out shirt, Just Bleed,obnoxious" feck wits that populate the fans.

It's ironic because I genuinely liked the UFC film Warrior released a few years ago.

Most folk don't have a clue about grappling, so when it goes to the ground or ends up in a clinch they just see "two men hugging", like being sat down in front of a chess match having never seen chess, why is that moving there, why did the guy spend 10- mins thinking about that.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to see 2 women (or guys) kicking each other in the head?

Yeah. I've always hated it and always thought it was horrible.

As noted, most of the folk who seem to like it are also absolute khunts.

Yeah. I've always hated it and always thought it was horrible.

As noted, most of the folk who seem to like it are also absolute khunts.

don't you watch boxing though, what the difference between getting knocked out by a fist or a shin? Why is there such a large difference?

don't you watch boxing though, what the difference between getting knocked out by a fist or a shin? Why is there such a large difference?

I don't know, to be honest. What i've always found especially distasteful in UFC is that once someone is down, their opponent keeps laying in to them.

I don't know, to be honest. What i've always found especially distasteful in UFC is that once someone is down, their opponent keeps laying in to them.

Yeah ground fighting is allowed. Somewhat ironically as all these new studies into concussions come out, the fact that boxing gives you 10 seconds to recover from one each time you go down, actually in the mean does more damage to your brain than getting knocked down then hit a couple of times and the ref stopping it.

No way to dress up a fight though, it can be pretty brutal.

Yeah ground fighting is allowed. Somewhat ironically as all these new studies into concussions come out, the fact that boxing gives you 10 seconds to recover from one each time you go down, actually in the mean does more damage to your brain than getting knocked down then hit a couple of times and the ref stopping it.

No way to dress up a fight though, it can be pretty brutal.

I actually prefer the lower weights in boxing where knockdowns and knock-outs are more infrequent. I hate when fights develop in to a brawl.

I know i'm trying to rationalise something that doesn't make sense and that i'm a hypocrite. I'm under no illusions there :lol:

Used to love boxing before it became overpriced. Pay per view for shitty fights. But I always found that there was still a skill in boxing that still had two guys sticking to a set of rules. When I watch this UFC crap all I see are pub brawls. I can't see any difference in a good pub roll about on a Saturday night and this tripe.

Used to love boxing before it became overpriced. Pay per view for shitty fights. But I always found that there was still a skill in boxing that still had two guys sticking to a set of rules. When I watch this UFC crap all I see are pub brawls. I can't see any difference in a good pub roll about on a Saturday night and this tripe.

That's just untrained eyes though. there's as much technical skill in Mixed Martial Arts is there is in any sport. That's why it took a 47 year old Randy Couture about a minute to submit James Toney (42) in a fight.

If anyone is interested here's a breakdown of the rousey fight in a skill context by one of the top coaches in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3stwtCmWTA

That's just untrained eyes though. there's as much technical skill in Mixed Martial Arts is there is in any sport. That's why it took a 47 year old Randy Couture about a minute to submit James Toney (42) in a fight.

Real mixed martial arts, yes. Not denying there may be skill involved in the very few top fighters. But the vast majority of fights I have seen have been glorified pub fights with thousands of daft wee, spotty faced laddies ringside who just want to see some blood sprayed about to make up for the fact that they have tiny cocks.

Well the best fans are in the minority, but the folk who actually are martial artists themselves. Fighters don't get paid a lot, so fans band together to help them with camps, offer free sparring. Unfortunately they are massively under-represented compared to the "Tap-out shirt, Just Bleed,obnoxious" feck wits that populate the fans.

Most folk don't have a clue about grappling, so when it goes to the ground or ends up in a clinch they just see "two men hugging", like being sat down in front of a chess match having never seen chess, why is that moving there, why did the guy spend 10- mins thinking about that.

Two spot on posts saved me doing it.

Thata just crap, some of the martial arts and discipline these guys have is unreal. These guys train for hours a day to be as good as they are. The grappling on the ground takes so much learning too.

Love ufc. Been watching on and off for years. One thing that has to be noted is the medical the fighters have to go through before they can fight. Most of these fighters are ultra fit. If fact iirc there has been only one death in ufc and that was way way back at the start when it was one Cisalpine against an other such as sumo vs kick boxing. And yes the hours of training they do each day can be equated to the normal hours we do for work. As to the grappling a lot of it comes from judo and Brazilian jujitsu and takes years to master it might look like they are just hugging each other but in fact they are using muscle movements to try and get the opponent to react so they can counter them. Once someone is in a submition hold it is very rare they don't tap out as they risk serious injury if they don't. There is also a lot more respect between fighters than in boxing. Yes you still get the odd argument but on the whole there is massive respect.

As to the Rhonda fight what a kick that finished her off. Can't believe how much punishment she took up till then but that kick was right on the money

Always thought Boxing is way more brutal than MMA.

In MMA/UFC one of the main ways you can win is with a submission so in theory you could go in; twist your opponents arm or leg a certain way and they tap out (give up). As someone said submissions usually don’t get put on fully to the point bones/joints break or pop, just enough that there is no way out and the guy losing has no choice but to give up. Of course there are exceptions to everything and bones do break and people get hurt but really not as much as you might think.

And in Boxing (correct me if I'm wrong) the only way to win is by repeatedly punching your opponent in the head or body to either knock them out or successfully hit them more than you get hit yourself and win by points.