Ufc - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aldo was #13 i think i read.

UFC is rubbish and encourages any sort of knuckle dragger to become a fighter. The talent pool is so shallow that you can get huge mismatchs and early finishes galore. It's no surprise the biggest attendance was for a wimmens fight.

Boxing has its problems but is much much better the UFC.

how anybody can watch a sport when the outcome is already decided is beyond me

Lost with this comment, certainly doesn't apply to UFC - give us an example for clarity.

UFC is rubbish and encourages any sort of knuckle dragger to become a fighter. The talent pool is so shallow that you can get huge mismatchs and early finishes galore. It's no surprise the biggest attendance was for a wimmens fight.

Aldo was number 1

The talent pool is far from shallow. There are many excellent fighters, skilled in multiple disciplines. Put any good boxer in with a good MMA and the boxer would get destroyed, they simply don't have the skills to compete.

Boxing is 'much, much' more boring and mucho, mucho full of cheating. All too often boring and fixed, UFC is the opposite.

That doesn't even make sense. It's a bit like saying put any football team up against a rugby and the football team would get destroyed. It's a completely different discipline.

I think the general point was more about the overall status and breadth of boxing compared to UFC.

No doubting there's great skill involved at top of UFC but it does nothing for me. Someone made a point earlier that if four sports were taking place and a fight broke out, everyone would watch - as if that validated UFC or boxing. Might have a point but it's superficial. In my opinion, nobody stops and looks on with respect or awe at the spectacle. Probably look on thinking those involved are fannies with minimal respect for those involved.

Lost with this comment, certainly doesn't apply to UFC - give us an example for clarity.

Aldo was number 1

The talent pool is far from shallow. There are many excellent fighters, skilled in multiple disciplines. Put any good boxer in with a good MMA and the boxer would get destroyed, they simply don't have the skills to compete.

Boxing is 'much, much' more boring and mucho, mucho full of cheating. All too often boring and fixed, UFC is the opposite.

But it's a former boxer who destroyed the UFC golden girl!

I like how UFC twists and turns... (not that I am any kind of fan)

Now it looks like the strikers the boxers are returning to the ascendency after mastering the wrestler skills (just enough).

This is what keeps it interesting. Boxing a la mayweather being judged the best is what is so shit for me as a looker for 'scraps'.

That doesn't even make sense. It's a bit like saying put any football team up against a rugby and the football team would get destroyed. It's a completely different discipline.

It nothing like your example.

Man v Man in a combat contest, each free to use their skill set to see who is the better combatant, is not in the slightest anything like football v rubgy.

But it's a former boxer who destroyed the UFC golden girl!

No it was a current MMA fighter that won that one! Had she only been a 'former boxer' she wouldn't have stood a chance. Great kickboxing skills none the less.

:ok: Absolutely agree.

Number one undefeated in 9 years over two promotions. UFC fighters biggest base is former collegiate wrestlers, so college educated athletes permeate the sport at every level. the lightest weight champion is sponsored by X-box cause he is a california gamer who was a highschool wrestling and track star. The lightheavy weight champion is a college graduate former Olympian and captain of the Olympic wrestling team.

What is the name of the people you say are knuckle draggers, been a few in there of course.

The biggest attendance was in Australia but you should know(as a boxing man) Gate is what counts not attendance, last gate was 10.1 million dollars. which is larger than Mayweather Berto one and would fit into the top 20 of all time (just behind Mayweathervs Hatton) in boxing at MGM.

Your comments would have been spot on 7-8 years ago. It's moved on a lot now. The new female division resemble what you say about shallow divisions. Tell us how deep the current Boxing heavyweight division (Flag-ship of Boxing) is compared to MMA... with it's supreme master Tyson Furry who is not a knuckle dragger, with his views on homosexuality etc.

Edited by phart

On the actual fight i did not expect that at all. I never normally bet at all, I put a bet on Aldo finishing McGregor at any point on the fight.

That;s how "confident" i was that Aldo would win. This new random testing doping programme has been running for a good couple of months now, and some real noticeable differences. 9 changes of champion this year.

No doubting there's great skill involved at top of UFC but it does nothing for me. Someone made a point earlier that if four sports were taking place and a fight broke out, everyone would watch - as if that validated UFC or boxing. Might have a point but it's superficial. In my opinion, nobody stops and looks on with respect or awe at the spectacle. Probably look on thinking those involved are fannies with minimal respect for those involved.

I wasn't making a point or validating anything. Just giving the owners explanation of why it has grown in popularity in the last 10 years.

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, thplinth said:

C0-987qW8AQgA7w.jpg:small

I almost put a tenner on TJ point, Cody by KO and nunes by 1st round KO bet on. Just as well i never as Cody won by points.

Cody's amateur boxing background helping him immensely never bit on any of Dom's weird feints and hand positions he uses to set up take downs when you reach for them. Faster hands and better feet in a tight area, with no takedown threat made it so much easier than. Dom can take a shot though and recover insane quick, he got hit with a rght hand and was collapsing like tower 7 but had recovered enough in the fall to make sure his head didn't hit the mat.