Valencia - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Valencia

Charlie Endell

Fist time I went I sent 4 days pished in the rain.

The second time I went I found a beautiful city that wasn't really aimed at tourists. Great food and beer and nothing was particularly expensive. Though I did end up there when this was on:

http://www.visitvalencia.com/en/blog/the-moors-christians-festival/

Just wandered about and found lots of great places.

Only been for the Scotland game in 2004, so city has probably changed at bit.

First impressions were not great (Agree, it is not as touristy as say Barcelona, Alicante or Malaga) but that might be down to the weather, but when the rain did stop and got a chance to walk around, it is a nice city, but in no rush to go back.

Due to the weather most our time was spent in the bars on Queen Square.

Reminds me of a mini-Barcelona, I liked it.

Load of history there to see, old city walls, Gothic cathedral etc.

The former river has been converted into a park! Very unusual way to walk through the city.

The science park near the old river estuary is worth a look too. We had some fun driving on the grand prix course down by the harbour.

Visited the Mestalla but there wasn't a game on at the time unfortunately. That was 7 years ago now and the club were on the brink of moving to a new stadium, which still hasn't happened yet!

Have been there with work. It's a nice city, a decent amount of culture, and enough to keep you buys for a couple of days plus generally gets a lot of sunshine for most of the year round. The Mestalla is probably the best stadium in Spain (in my opinion) and well worth going to now that they've given it a little lick of paint.

The people maybe aren't as open to tourists as other bigger cities but don't mistaken it for being stand-offish. It's just the way Valencians are - sometimes they look at you like you have two heads just for trying to speak to them in their own language....

I'd say go!

Reminds me of a mini-Barcelona, I liked it.

Load of history there to see, old city walls, Gothic cathedral etc.

The former river has been converted into a park! Very unusual way to walk through the city.

The science park near the old river estuary is worth a look too. We had some fun driving on the grand prix course down by the harbour.

Visited the Mestalla but there wasn't a game on at the time unfortunately. That was 7 years ago now and the club were on the brink of moving to a new stadium, which still hasn't happened yet!

Mini-Barcelona is a fair description. Has its own, late 1800s Eixample type area, the old city, the modern part where the science museums are etc, and the beach (even if it's not as well connected to the water as BCN).

Very nice city. Lovely for a wander. There is no real 'tourism' as such, certainly not on the scale of Barcelona/Madrid/Seville, so fewer Americans etc, which makes it all the better. Within the 'old' area there is a cracking food market where I got some 'arroz bomba' rice- the real stuff for making paella, from the region where paella originated, according to the locals. There is a big El Corte Ingles with a popular top floor restaurant - it's in a square and we had an excellent tapas lunch looking towards it it from the corner of the square.

I met an old aquaintance recently, who was an absolute zoomer back in the day (bevvy/dope/wee bit Charlie etc), and he looked a bit more together thankfully. He was just back from a lads holiday to Benidorm, and decided to head away after the first night of complete bampotery ( mass brawl/puking in streets) revealed he was not in tune with his 'mates' any more. He headed off to Valencia and loved it. Couldn't believe I was talking to the same guy. He loved all the architecture, tapas, history etc. Still enjoyed a drink and ended up pals with his local tapas bar owner, who took him out fishing on his boat.

I loved it and would go back. Enjoy.

Very nice city. Lovely for a wander. There is no real 'tourism' as such, certainly not on the scale of Barcelona/Madrid/Seville, so fewer Americans etc, which makes it all the better. Within the 'old' area there is a cracking food market where I got some 'arroz bomba' rice- the real stuff for making paella, from the region where paella originated, according to the locals. There is a big El Corte Ingles with a popular top floor restaurant - it's in a square and we had an excellent tapas lunch looking towards it it from the corner of the square.

I met an old aquaintance recently, who was an absolute zoomer back in the day (bevvy/dope/wee bit Charlie etc), and he looked a bit more together thankfully. He was just back from a lads holiday to Benidorm, and decided to head away after the first night of complete bampotery ( mass brawl/puking in streets) revealed he was not in tune with his 'mates' any more. He headed off to Valencia and loved it. Couldn't believe I was talking to the same guy. He loved all the architecture, tapas, history etc. Still enjoyed a drink and ended up pals with his local tapas bar owner, who took him out fishing on his boat.

I loved it and would go back. Enjoy.

Sounds right up my calle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...