Valencia - Page 2 - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Valencia

Charlie Endell

Did you go to Manolo's bar? He is the guy who you see (and hear) at pretty much any Spain match, battering a big drum and wearing a big black beret. He has a bar near the Mestala, and when we were in Valencia (for the Scotland game that was abandoned at HT) we reckoned it would be good to go to it a couple of nights before the match. We jumped into a taxi and asked the driver to take us to Manolo's. He took us to a pretty non-descript, suburban square, and although there was a bar it was clearly shut, even though it was only about 9pm. The taxi driver told us to wait, had a word with a few guys sitting around the square, and one of them made a quick phone call, then told us Manolo would be there soon. 10 minutes later he arrived and opened up the bar for us, he was really friendly, and we all got our photos taken with him. In the bar there are photos of Manolo with all sorts, Juan Carlos, Pope John Paul II, Domingo, you name it. After an hour or so he said he had to close up again, so he arranged a taxi and then, as we were heading out, gave me his mobile number to call 'if you have trouble with the police!' - which we didn't. I really liked Valencia on that trip, always remember coming out of a bar in the city somewhere at about 3 in the morning onto a big street, and there were thousands of people milling about, the atmosphere was really fantastic. Been there a couple of times since.

Did you go to Manolo's bar? He is the guy who you see (and hear) at pretty much any Spain match, battering a big drum and wearing a big black beret. He has a bar near the Mestala, and when we were in Valencia (for the Scotland game that was abandoned at HT) we reckoned it would be good to go to it a couple of nights before the match. We jumped into a taxi and asked the driver to take us to Manolo's. He took us to a pretty non-descript, suburban square, and although there was a bar it was clearly shut, even though it was only about 9pm. The taxi driver told us to wait, had a word with a few guys sitting around the square, and one of them made a quick phone call, then told us Manolo would be there soon. 10 minutes later he arrived and opened up the bar for us, he was really friendly, and we all got our photos taken with him. In the bar there are photos of Manolo with all sorts, Juan Carlos, Pope John Paul II, Domingo, you name it. After an hour or so he said he had to close up again, so he arranged a taxi and then, as we were heading out, gave me his mobile number to call 'if you have trouble with the police!' - which we didn't. I really liked Valencia on that trip, always remember coming out of a bar in the city somewhere at about 3 in the morning onto a big street, and there were thousands of people milling about, the atmosphere was really fantastic. Been there a couple of times since.

that was a great trip the rain wiz mental though

Aye, went to Manolo's before the game. Had a spot of bother getting into the game as my mate's son left spare copies of our tickets in Manolo's - they were e-tickets and someone obviously lifted them - after some lengthy negotiations we eventually got in. The Mestalla is a cracking stadium - would highly recommend going to watch a game there (would also recommend Valencia in general - great value).

Edited by Charlie Endell