Red Button No More? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Red Button No More?

I think the red button is pish anyway. Far too slow and in the modern age of tablets, mobiles and cheap computers it's pretty pointless.

Less happy about scrapping bbc3 but as I'm s non payer I guess I can't really judge.

Perhaps the bbc could save money by paying less money to alleged stars and guys like Creative director Alan Yentob 330k for working part-time.

Is this meaning bbc's teletext will end ??

I always look at it every day for news and sport and results and latest scores.

They surely can't be ending that ??

Do they record viewing figures for teletext ? As I read it for longer than I watch most channels. ..

5 billion budget more than half spent on wages etc. When there is a threat to derail the gravy train the standard response is to threaten to close something high profile. Meanwhile they are spraying tens of millions out on pet projects, bonuses, payoffs (then retires), consultants, middle managers some programme called The Voice that no one watches..... And so on

Is this meaning bbc's teletext will end ??

I always look at it every day for news and sport and results and latest scores.

They surely can't be ending that ??

Do they record viewing figures for teletext ? As I read it for longer than I watch most channels. ..

34129A62-91FE-4FEE-B309-D074525FA32A_zps
Loved Bamber Bamboozle :( . Analogue teletext was superb - Blue Suede Views was another favourite - the digital replacement is pish, so no great loss if it goes (although useful for checking the football results on a Saturday evening while eating my dinner). Edited by Charlie Endell

Can't remember the last time I used the red button text service, despite being a ceefax addict back in the day.

However, will really miss the additional channels accessed via the red channel - great for major sporting events, music festivals, etc.

I still check the weather on the red button in the morning also like it for festival replays in the summer

I thought it was just my elderly dad who still used that.

He likes to compare it to what the weather man/woman has told him 8 times during the morning broadcast!

5 billion budget more than half spent on wages etc. When there is a threat to derail the gravy train the standard response is to threaten to close something high profile. Meanwhile they are spraying tens of millions out on pet projects, bonuses, payoffs (then retires), consultants, middle managers some programme called The Voice that no one watches..... And so on

Absolutely, reforming the BBC should mean protecting its core role as a public service broadcaster and the range of services it should offer, such as red button.

Oh and while they're at it put 6 Music on FM so I can hear it in the motor...

I too would like 6 Music on FM ...must be overwhelming majority of cars that don't have digital radios... (are there xars that DO have digital radios??)...also often wondered why some radio stations have multiple frequencies. ..such as Radio Scotland on FM....

I agree that BBC spends way too much on excessive salaries. ..I get annoyed too by the perverse trend in news reporting that has multiple reporters standing in far flung places just to read out a news item that the news reader in the studio could read out just as well. Its clearly journalists just taking every single opportunity to claim extortionate expenses and enjoy loads of travel and holidays at our expense. Meanwhile they pick on a thoroughly useful service like teletext that's used by millions.

I too would like 6 Music on FM ...must be overwhelming majority of cars that don't have digital radios... (are there xars that DO have digital radios??)...also often wondered why some radio stations have multiple frequencies. ..such as Radio Scotland on FM....

I agree that BBC spends way too much on excessive salaries. ..I get annoyed too by the perverse trend in news reporting that has multiple reporters standing in far flung places just to read out a news item that the news reader in the studio could read out just as well. Its clearly journalists just taking every single opportunity to claim extortionate expenses and enjoy loads of travel and holidays at our expense. Meanwhile they pick on a thoroughly useful service like teletext that's used by millions.

Wow.

6 Music on FM - agreed.

Modern cars have digital radios.

Complaining that journalists are reporting news?? Have you any idea how little the reporter in these far flung places actually get paid??

Teletext is dead. Have you heard on the internet? It'll catch on soon i'm sure.

Anyway, the BBC.

Wow.

6 Music on FM - agreed.

Modern cars have digital radios.

Complaining that journalists are reporting news?? Have you any idea how little the reporter in these far flung places actually get paid??

Teletext is dead. Have you heard on the internet? It'll catch on soon i'm sure.

Anyway, ###### the BBC.

Re the journos: is the complaint not the 'anchor' types who can't wait to get out to the scene of the latest tragedy wherever it is in the world to film people's grief, cross their fingers that the number of people who have been killed or injured keeps rising and hope for the modern day journo jackpot: another natural disaster or terrorist outrage occurring while they are there. {Edit: all on the license payers chitty obviously}

Edited by hoodster