Scottland Player Transfer Gossip - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottland Player Transfer Gossip

kmcca5

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mo Johnston's level skyrocketed when he played there. Fletcher is a terrific player, albeit not a prolific goal scorer. He'd do well in any league provided a manager knew how to play him.

Terrific is not a word that I would use to describe him, decent yes - terrific no

Happy for Jordan Rhodes tonight, hopefully he can now kick on at Middlesbrough and help get them promoted! Would be brilliant to see him competing in the Premier League. Good move for Steven Fletcher too, should get more game time as Marseille.

Marseille currenty sitting mid table in a ridiculously tight league barring PSG. 3 champions league places up so looks like their big push.

I honestly think that the ankle injury he got against Wales and subsequent injuries has majorly dented is career, probaly mentally more than anything else. Never been the same player. He was flying prior to that.

Will certainly be interesting to see how this pans out.

Edited by JECK

Just looking at Jordan Rhodes record at the moment and it's unbelievable! 116 goals in 316 games! Crazy to think he's 2nd choice striker for Scotland behind Fletcher who, at the moment really isn't impressing. Really hope he fires some in for Middlesbrough and is given a proper chance in these upcoming friendlies.

Just looking at Jordan Rhodes record at the moment and it's unbelievable! 116 goals in 316 games! Crazy to think he's 2nd choice striker for Scotland behind Fletcher who, at the moment really isn't impressing. Really hope he fires some in for Middlesbrough and is given a proper chance in these upcoming friendlies.

Thing is though he's not even that.

Seen a stat on Sky last night. Since the 30th August 2012 the top two scorers in the Championship are Rhodes (85 goals) and McCormack (65). In that time Rhodes has had one competitive start and McCormack can't get in a squad.

I've nothing against Rhodes and if we had nine better outfield players I'm sure he'd play more. As it is, Fletcher at Marseilles seems a better option.

Pretty sure its about 50 goals more than that.

I'm amazed that a lower half epl has never took a punt on JR. Really strange, or maybe folk in the know don't rate him to get goals in the epl and that's swayed strachan to not pick him.Hopefully he will be up next season as Boro looking good.

I'm amazed that a lower half epl has never took a punt on JR. Really strange, or maybe folk in the know don't rate him to get goals in the epl and that's swayed strachan to not pick him.Hopefully he will be up next season as Boro looking good.

It's still a £10m punt!

Heard a bit of 5live last night and they briefly spoke about that, think it was the Watford Sporting Director who was on. Was suggested it was down to the wages British players command against the foreign players more than transfer fee. Example being the lad Everton signed may well be on a lot less than what Rhodes would have been looking.

I don't think in general Premiership clubs take a chance on players from lower leagues. There are exceptions of course but in the main they tend to be young players - i.e. U21 - with potential that they are looking to develop.

A couple of good examples would be Rickie Lambert and Jamie Vardy.

Lambert played around 350 and Vardy around 250 games in the lower leagues before making their Premiership debuts and both had to promoted with their teams to get there.

Once they establish themselves - assuming they do - then they seem to be accepted and don't have that much problem moving clubs. I suspect its that they have proved they can play at that level. A good example of this would be Steven Fletcher who was promoted with Burnley, then relegated and then relegated again with Wolves, and has been towards the bottom of the division with Sunderland. Despite that less than stellar record, he's considered a Premiership player and I'd imagine that he'll be back at one of the lower ranking teams next season once his contract at Sunderland expires/

Hopefully Middlesboro can go up and Rhodes can similarly establish himself.

I don't think in general Premiership clubs take a chance on players from lower leagues. There are exceptions of course but in the main they tend to be young players - i.e. U21 - with potential that they are looking to develop.

A couple of good examples would be Rickie Lambert and Jamie Vardy.

Lambert played around 350 and Vardy around 250 games in the lower leagues before making their Premiership debuts and both had to promoted with their teams to get there.

Once they establish themselves - assuming they do - then they seem to be accepted and don't have that much problem moving clubs. I suspect its that they have proved they can play at that level. A good example of this would be Steven Fletcher who was promoted with Burnley, then relegated and then relegated again with Wolves, and has been towards the bottom of the division with Sunderland. Despite that less than stellar record, he's considered a Premiership player and I'd imagine that he'll be back at one of the lower ranking teams next season once his contract at Sunderland expires/

Hopefully Middlesboro can go up and Rhodes can similarly establish himself.

I seem to remember jermain beckford was a revelation in the championship for years and Moyes took a punt on him at Everton and was rarely seen again.

Fletcher was taken straight from the Spl and didn't have to prove himself as such, slogging away in the championship. Probably owes Owen Coyle a lot for having a bit more knowledge on Scottish football and taking him down there. Very few have gone straight from SPL

Edited by JECK