First Bbc Scotland Editor - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First Bbc Scotland Editor

Guest flumax

50 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Scots are always waiting eagerly to hear about the english cricket teams latest demise at the end of the day's news. Why should that change?

Not to mention it being the headlines in sports reports

We are a colony after all

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Scottish Six binned...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/15102356.Scottish_Six_plans_dumped_by_London_broadcasting_chiefs/

I thought this was a good idea when it was first suggested, that's a long time ago now though.

Not sure the TV significance of this any more - how many people actually watch TV at 6pm?

Still, it's a bit of a slap for BBC Scotland to feel like a branch office rather than a 'national' broadcaster

- I mean in the sense the newspapers like the Scotsman are happy to be (sort of) 'national' newspapers which quite obviously doesn't make them necessarily or at all 'nationalist'.

In fact It's one of the crazier absurdities of the debate that newspapers like that (SoS I recall, definitely) opposed the S6 despite their own whole raison d'etre being exactly to reflect world coverage through a Scottish [or at least Edinburgh] lens. By that logic SoS needn't exist - just the London Times and the Evening Times/News.

On a related topic, the recent Trump railing against the media sounds petulant

As someone tweeted,

World leaders who have declared the press an enemy of the state:

Erdogan ?? Putin ?? Kim Jong-un ?? Chavez ?? Donald J. Trump ??

236 replies 8,374 retweets 8,590 likes

So I guess SNP Govt wouldn't want to be seen in that company (i.e. while some say the SNP should be more aggressively anti-MSM if you look at it this way, a party esp one in Govt should be able to be big enough to take the heat and not seek special treatment). Especially I think the independence cause is better served by those parties being seen as mainstream and not a persecuted minority.

Still, the BBC is a law unto itself (with our money) and Trump would have a point if there was a state broadcaster fleecing the 'American people', or sending the cash to bolster the UN instead of domestic fare.

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/

"The people who object to a Scottish Six... on the grounds that such a service would be nothing more than “SNP TV”... are the self-same people who claim that the BBC is completely impartial and unbiased when it comes to reporting on Scottish politics and current affairs. They never explain why a Scottish public service broadcasting corporation which would presumably be set up with the same safeguards and structures that allow the BBC its lofty neutrality would be little more than the propaganda arm of the independence movement, whereas its British equivalent is studiously above any such bias. They can’t have it both ways."

STV should seize this opportunity.

The BBC will always be against Scottish independence so its news output is always going to be full of unionist fear-mongering about how Scotland would face armageddon without London rule. Apart from the Labour Party, the "Scottish" media have been one of the biggest casualties post 2014 referendum. People now know they always have agendas and aren't to be trusted - and more importantly the lies and bile they spewed in 2014 won't fly next time.  

As ever, the devil is in the detail.  On the surface this looks like a positive development but the budget is a real concern.

If the new channel is underfunded, the the quality will not be up to scratch and people will not watch it and it will give the BBC the excuse to shut it down saying that people aren't interested in Scottish content.  A cynic might say that is the long term end game.

It also remains to be seen how much new content there will be and how much of the current Scottish content on BBC1 and BBC2 just gets shifted over.

17 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

Really ? Nah.

£25million a year is what C4 is paying the production company for it. So that's all production costs plus I'd imagine a fair bit of profit and I'm assuming there would be some marketing / commercial rights in there as well. So I'd guess the actual production budget is substantially less than that.

Edited by biffer

18 minutes ago, biffer said:

£25million a year is what C4 is paying the production company for it. So that's all production costs plus I'd imagine a fair bit of profit and I'm assuming there would be some marketing / commercial rights in there as well. So I'd guess the actual production budget is substantially less than that.

Its a fekkin baking program ? ### me price of ovens must have gone up.

They - the BBC - are saying that the budget is broadly similar to BBC4.  Personally, I think BBC4 is excellent but a great deal of its output is either repeats, either from the archives or stuff that's recently been shown on BBC1 or 2.

We already have BBC One Scotland and BBC Two Scotland.  These are undoubtedly the main channels and already have a Scottish tint.  Some of the programming in BBC One/Two Scotland is already different from the regional channels in England.  The two main channels are the ones with prestige and history.  Will the new BBC Scotland supplement the current situation or will BBC One and Two show fewer Scots only content, with all of this shipped over to the new channel?

All for the new channel if it's properly funded, is about additional content, and sees no reduction in Scottish content in the current One and Two.

As I understand it, 'BBC Scotland' will begin at 19.00 nightly, with a dedicated 'Scottish 9', reflecting international and domestic news.

As Aaid says, on the face of it, it looks positive. But indeed the small budget is a worry.

Will it simply have some news, a few niche programmes, and then simply 'copy' over programmes from mainstream BBC ?

I also wonder if this means that more time and funds will be dedicated to Scottish sports coverage. Maybe now we'll get coverage of Scottish cup games on our own channel, instead of having programmes dropped so we can be shown Leicester v Derby live.

4 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

We already have BBC One Scotland and BBC Two Scotland.  These are undoubtedly the main channels and already have a Scottish tint.  Some of the programming in BBC One/Two Scotland is already different from the regional channels in England.  The two main channels are the ones with prestige and history.  Will the new BBC Scotland supplement the current situation or will BBC One and Two show fewer Scots only content, with all of this shipped over to the new channel?

All for the new channel if it's properly funded, is about additional content, and sees no reduction in Scottish content in the current One and Two.

There will no longer be a 'BBC1 Scotland or BBC2 Scotland'.

As I understand it, these channels will be replaced by 'BBC Scotland'.

There'll still be a 'BBC1' and 'BBC2' available.....and I'd imagine there will be an overlap of programmes...EastEnders etc....but all of Scotland's 'independent' BBC coverage will now be on one channel.

20 minutes ago, Rossy said:

There will no longer be a 'BBC1 Scotland or BBC2 Scotland'.

As I understand it, these channels will be replaced by 'BBC Scotland'.

There'll still be a 'BBC1' and 'BBC2' available.....and I'd imagine there will be an overlap of programmes...EastEnders etc....but all of Scotland's 'independent' BBC coverage will now be on one channel.

You're making a bit of an assumption there, I don't see that stated. What I do see is that they're taking the £11million that goes towards making output for BBC Two Scotland and putting it into the new channel along with an additional £19 million. A logical jump from that would be that there won't be a BBC Two Scotland anymore, but BBC One Scotland will remain as is, with budget as is. 

A quick look at the schedules in the evenings for BBC Two Scotland and England over the next few days sees

tonight - no difference

tomorrow - Scotlan specific programming at 7 (Timeline) and 9 (Growing up in Scotland: A century of childhood)

friday - live rugby (Edinburgh v Cardiff)

saturday - no difference

sunday - no difference

51 minutes ago, biffer said:

You're making a bit of an assumption there, I don't see that stated. What I do see is that they're taking the £11million that goes towards making output for BBC Two Scotland and putting it into the new channel along with an additional £19 million. A logical jump from that would be that there won't be a BBC Two Scotland anymore, but BBC One Scotland will remain as is, with budget as is. 

Agree, let's see the detail.  If there is a reduction in Scottish content screened on BBC One or Two this is a backwards step.  

What platform the content is shown on matters.

If it was a gig, it's the equivalent of cancelling a support act's performance in the Hydro, giving the band a bit more money and letting them headline the Bo'ness Hippodrome.  

The new Scottish BBC channel should be a supplement; not a replacement for content on the main local channels (One and Two). 

Edited by PapofGlencoe

It must be a good idea, because the nutcase Yoons are frothing about it on forums like 'The Scotsman' (sic).

Anything that supports a sense of 'Scottishness', they're against. I wonder who on here posts on these forums ?

This new BBC channel has the main news at 9pm.  I know there used to be a nine on'clock news on the BBC, but viewing patterns have altered which is why they moved it to 10pm.  The new news programme will be up against some stiff competition on the more mainstream channels.  This looks like a "designed to fail" sop.  What other nation doesn't have its national news on its main channel?  There should be a Scottish Six on BBC1 Scotland, no two ways about it.  This proposal is underfunded by a long way and not a genuine attempt to serve Scotland well; more a strategy to prevent Scotland having a decent news programme that is relevant to our needs.