Trident Vote - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Trident Vote

So only 6 labour MP's vote with the SNP motion opposing Trident.

Ian Murray abstained on two votes then didnt vote on the SNP at all. This is the guy who said he was anti-Trident and part of Scottish labour who voted to oppose Trident.

Scottish political thought and will is a complete irrelevance to the Westminster parliament.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat and watched this today. For all I disagreed with their arguments for keeping it, some of the Tories put their arguments across well. Unlike the Labour scumbag (Shadow Defence Sec?) who spent his entire time panning the SNP.

An utter, utter abomination of a party.

I wouldn't take it personally, she treats her leader with the same contempt.

I heard on the news earlier that 6000 people work at trident, rising to 8000 at some future point (I can't remember what date they give) is that true? Or is that extrapolated massively to include local businesses that are being claimed to rely on it?

Putting the ethics to one side, that's a lot of jobs!!!

I heard on the news earlier that 6000 people work at trident, rising to 8000 at some future point (I can't remember what date they give) is that true? Or is that extrapolated massively to include local businesses that are being claimed to rely on it?

That's also circa £18m a job. You'd like to think even Glasgow City Council could use that money more efficiently...

6000 people work at faslane.. the whole naval port.

according to the unions only 520 people work directly on the Nuclear side of things..

520 people...

Tough sh't for them then. You want to live with no morals then the rest shouldn't care about you.

Tough sh't for them then. You want to live with no morals then the rest shouldn't care about you.[/quote

Aye, no bother. "Dad, why can we not get new shoes or nice dinners?" "Because I have morals hen, no job since we voted to shut down the base, but morally we're sound"!

Away and behave yerself!

according to the unions only 520 people work directly on the Nuclear side of things..

520 people...[/quote

Disingenuous statement. All the employees work with the nuclear system. There would be no jobs at all if there was no weapons system. The base wouldn't be there.

Shit tonne of jobs. However, deciding to keep the death penalty cause you'd put rope makers and executors out of jobs doesn't seem sensible.

Probably the most overly simplistic and completely wrong analogy I have ever read.

Cheers for letting me know, I've always put great store in your cognitive abilities. :ok:

And I have always been impressed by your ability to stuff your head up your own arse, so that makes us equal.

And I have always been impressed by your ability to stuff your head up your own arse, so that makes us equal.

Not quite equal, I haven't spent any time concocting a "most overly simplistic and completely wrong analogy" Power ranking system. Then sat up at midnight informing people of their place in said ranking.

One can only dream of doing such great things. :ok: I'll away and let you enjoy your warm glow my friend.

Edited by phart

Not quite equal, I haven't spent any time concocting a "most overly simplistic and completely wrong analogy" Power ranking system. Then sat up at midnight informing people of their place in said ranking.

One can only dream of doing such great things. :ok: I'll away and let you enjoy your warm glow my friend.

You are completely unbalanced. The odd comment during a pathetic choice of sky movie hardly is hanging about waiting to make a big statement.

My place in the world isn't determined by some comments on an increasingly pish notice board. However you seem to be worried about it. All I said was that you were talking absolute crap.

You push on though, I'm sure you will better about yourself.

I cant remember a big hoo ha when the Americans pulled out of Scotland.How many jobs were lost then? Edzell base near Brechin closed and the local economy of Angus too a nose dive.Did that make the news? No and neither did the fact that the surrounding area bounced back as would the area around Faslane.

520 people...[/quote

Disingenuous statement. All the employees work with the nuclear system. There would be no jobs at all if there was no weapons system. The base wouldn't be there.

But there would be weapons systems, there would be bombs and guns and other stuff there would be no Nukes thats all..

Not all employees work with nukes, does the wee woman in the canteen work with nukes? naw she makes the lunch and would continue to make the lunch after the nukes have gone,

your statement is a loada shite.

there are loads of other stuff going on there that is not nuclear based.

The Unions state only 520 people work on nuclear projects, everything else is general war/navy/killing stuff..

aye there will be guys repairing stuff, but they will still be there when the Nuclear subs go, there will still be non nuclear subs.

all that would happen is the nukes would go and the guys who maintain/run/monitor etc , them( 520) would go

the rest would stay

They are not talking about closing the site.. if they were, then your point would be relevant,

Simple way to handle this delicate issue is to say that there would/will be a public vote on this post-independence.

These 520-10000+ jobs (depending on what you believe) are used as a political football by the union. Overwhelming public opinion is that we don't want the nukes, but then there's a percentage that either state that they do want them (for security) or issue their concern about those losing jobs (for the most part I think that is just finding a relevant excuse to be pro-union).

If it is put to a vote then the public would vote to remove them. It won't necessarily result in many more votes in an independence referendum but it removes one stick that the union can use to beat the Yes side with.

Edited by AlfieMoon