Flymaybe - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Flymaybe

Charlie Endell

I was supposed to flying to Southampton last Thursday - turned up at Glasgow Airport just before 06.00 for my 07.00 flight - when there was still no call for boarding at 06.45 I started to suspect something might be wrong - the departure board then indicated there would be an announcement at 07.05, which duly informed passengers the flight would be delayed until 09.15 due to 'technical difficulties' - this would probably have been okay as I would still have had a very good chance of reaching my final destination (Wincanton) on time or only slightly late - then there was a further announcement to say the flight was now delayed until 11.30 - at which point I threw in the towel as I wasn't travelling all the way to Dorset to watch one race. The woman at the gate cancelled my seat and said she try to put the cancellation through so that I would get my money back, but this wasn't guaranteed as the minimum delay for a full refund is five hours!!

Anyway, a week later and unsurprisingly there's no sign of refund to the card I used to pay for the flight. Doing a spot of online research it appears this isn't uncommon with FlyBe - there is also a 10.30 flight from Glasgow to Southampton on Thursdays and I suspect that FlyBe used 'technical difficulties' to abandon the 07.00 flight and put the 07.00 and 10.30 passengers together on the one flight as both flights were under booked, therefore saving themselves a few quid. As I'm also out of pocket for transport to and from the airport, a train ticket from Southampton Airport to Templecombe and a night's accommodation (non cancellable) it's fair to say it's a lesson learned and I won't be flying FlyBe again.

Apparently it's three hours if you're returning the same day (which is still a scandal for a flight that actually only takes an hour - although is scheduled for an hour and a half). I've fired off a letter of complaint to their customer services advising them that I missed an important meeting due to this 'delay' (which is true - I just missed out the word 'race'!)

Edit: No reference number or leaflet was forthcoming.

Edited by Charlie Endell

flybe are moving back to Southampton from Bournemouth not many people using there services you will be pleased to know they only started this may as well from March next year no flights to Glasgow from Bournemouth

I actually looked into flying to Bournemouth as it's nearer (to Wincanton) - however, the Southampton times tied in better and the airport has its own railway station (if you get as far as the airport...).

Being based in Southampton, I rely on FlyBE to get me up to Glasgow and have done for many years.

Only once have I had an issue (they bumped all the Glasgow-bound folk on to a later Edinburgh flight and bused us to Glasgow).

That aside, I've had little to complain about.

This problem is so common now with Loganair they told me they had taken on extra staff to deal with all the claims.

Anyway, after a couple polite emails and about a 9 week wait, 250 euro compensation per passenger was paid..

Just before I was due to fly a Loganair flight (from Orkney or Shetland - can't remember which) operating under a FlyBe franchise was on the news because it had to make an emergency landing at Aberdeen - the sight of it being towed down the runway by a truck didn't exactly fill me with confidence...

Anyway, never again.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Getting some form of refund -

"I have today placed a note in your file, authorising a refund of your unused flight and have passed this on to our Customer Accounts Team to process. Normally a refund would only be processed when a flight was delayed for over 5 hours, or if you were returning on the same day 3 hours. I believe this is what has held up the refund."

If your flight is over 3 hours late arriving at your destination, you are entitled to a €250 compensation.

The Mrs and me were delayed on a flight from Aberdeen to gatwick over the summer. Easy jet compensated us within a couple of weeks.

More surprisingly though, the Mrs was delayed on a Flybe/Loganair flight from Orkney to Aberdeen over two years ago. We were able to trace the date and flight number because she sarcastically photographed her voucher offering her £3 off any item in the cafe and still had it in her phone.

I fired off an e-mail chasing the compensation an Lo and behold am now £180 better off.

Under EU law you can go back six years to claim flight disruption compensation.

There is a website that has every flight arrival time going back years.

Getting some form of refund -

"I have today placed a note in your file, authorising a refund of your unused flight and have passed this on to our Customer Accounts Team to process. Normally a refund would only be processed when a flight was delayed for over 5 hours, or if you were returning on the same day 3 hours. I believe this is what has held up the refund."

I'd reject it and say you'll be taking it further (unless your ticket cost E250).

The thing is I 'cancelled' my seat on the plane before it took off - from what you chaps are saying I think I'd need to have actually have boarded to get the 250 Euros compensation (which would have meant an afternoon and night kicking about Southampton with nothing to do).

Edited by Charlie Endell

I was supposed to flying to Southampton last Thursday - turned up at Glasgow Airport just before 06.00 for my 07.00 flight - when there was still no call for boarding at 06.45 I started to suspect something might be wrong - the departure board then indicated there would be an announcement at 07.05, which duly informed passengers the flight would be delayed until 09.15 due to 'technical difficulties' - this would probably have been okay as I would still have had a very good chance of reaching my final destination (Wincanton) on time or only slightly late - then there was a further announcement to say the flight was now delayed until 11.30 - at which point I threw in the towel as I wasn't travelling all the way to Dorset to watch one race. The woman at the gate cancelled my seat and said she try to put the cancellation through so that I would get my money back, but this wasn't guaranteed as the minimum delay for a full refund is five hours!!

Anyway, a week later and unsurprisingly there's no sign of refund to the card I used to pay for the flight. Doing a spot of online research it appears this isn't uncommon with FlyBe - there is also a 10.30 flight from Glasgow to Southampton on Thursdays and I suspect that FlyBe used 'technical difficulties' to abandon the 07.00 flight and put the 07.00 and 10.30 passengers together on the one flight as both flights were under booked, therefore saving themselves a few quid. As I'm also out of pocket for transport to and from the airport, a train ticket from Southampton Airport to Templecombe and a night's accommodation (non cancellable) it's fair to say it's a lesson learned and I won't be flying FlyBe again.

Flybe are terrible for this. I commuted between Edinburgh and Portsmouth for a year and flew in and out of Southampton. they would continually cancel flights and double them up. Twice they actually cancelled the Glasgow flight home and joined it with the Edinburgh one meaning we landed in Glasgow and then flew to Edinburgh which was weird.

Flybe are terrible for this. I commuted between Edinburgh and Portsmouth for a year and flew in and out of Southampton. they would continually cancel flights and double them up. Twice they actually cancelled the Glasgow flight home and joined it with the Edinburgh one meaning we landed in Glasgow and then flew to Edinburgh which was weird.

Aye - have lost all trust in them.

Bunch of arseholes.

Brother & I pre-booked seats on flight back from Amsterdam after Scotland game.

When we arrived at check-in we were 2nd & 3rd in queue & one of our pre booked seats had been allocated to guy in front of us.

Wouldn't do anything about it.

We also tried to get on earlier flight as I was feeling ill but were told it'd been cancelled.

Bumped into some Scotland fans who were on that flight & had booked it night before.

Wasn't cancelled at all. ?