Gary Neville - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very bizarre.

An untried and untested manager getting his first job, in charge of a CL team with an owner who expects CL qualification this season.

Would be very impressive if he could pull that off.

Is the Valencia owner not something to do with Salford as well?

Seems a bonkers appointment on the face of it.

Valencia's squad is mainly Spaniards, Portuguese & Argentinians. I wonder how they'll adapt to a more "British" style of coaching (especially after Moyes was such a hit). Assume the backroom staff will be filled with more Class of 92 & old Man Utd coaches with some spare time on their hands.

This will be a disaster.

Is the Valencia owner not something to do with Salford as well?

Seems a bonkers appointment on the face of it.

Valencia's squad is mainly Spaniards, Portuguese & Argentinians. I wonder how they'll adapt to a more "British" style of coaching (especially after Moyes was such a hit). Assume the backroom staff will be filled with more Class of 92 & old Man Utd coaches with some spare time on their hands.

This will be a disaster.

I should be at the Mestalla next month to view it first hand.

They turning it into a horse racing track ha ha ha?

Possibly?

They've got a half built stadium about 1.5 mile from the current one, but they can't afford to finish it.

Edited to add:

After posting that I googled Nou Mestalla to see what progress had been made in the 3 years since I was there, the answer appears to be none....

Edited by sbcmfc

Possibly?

They've got a half built stadium about 1.5 mile from the current one, but they can't afford to finish it.

Edited to add:

After posting that I googled Nou Mestalla to see what progress had been made in the 3 years since I was there, the answer appears to be none....

I knew they started it & ran out of money, but I thought they said they were scaling it down to get it finished. Haven't heard much about it in ages - assume it's just been left then?

They spent an absolute stack in the summer. One of the most insane deals ever was agreeing a fee £20m for Negredo when they loaned him last season & hardly features now.

Given where they finished last season & the money spent this time around, they should be looking to close the gap on Real & Barca. Hardly looks likely now!

My best mate is a Valencia supporter over here., sent me this earlier

"An utterly ridiculous appointment for a team like Valencia, all because he has a connection with the owner, the fans hate the owner and will have no patience with Neville whatsoever, they will be calling for his head and getting the white handkerchiefs at the next home game. All my cousins are raging about this.

Not happy campers by the sound of it.

I must be one of a select few who thinks he talks utter nonsense on sky sports. Peoples opinion of him before he became a pundit was so low that the fact he isn't a complete dunce has sanitised folk into thinking he's some sort of tactical genius.

If this appointment had happened in the premiership i.e. a foreign owner of a top four club appointing his business partner and friend with no managerial experience, Neville would be one of the first to cry foul telling us it's a disgrace that a foreigner was using a club of that standing as a play thing. He's a hypocrite.

He's also getting involved in an extremely dodgy set up at Valencia. The influence of Lim and 'super agent' Jorge Mendes has been on going for about 18 months I think, i'm sure Sid Lowe has done a couple of articles on it and frankly it stinks.

In summary, it's cronyism of the highest degree and I hope it goes tits up.

Edit: http://sport360.com/article/european/44959/inside-story-how-jorge-mendes-pulls-all-strings-valencia

That article gives a pretty good insight into the current state of affairs.

Edited by Mox