Hertha Berlin - Page 2 - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hertha Berlin

adamntg

• 3 weeks later...

Recommendation for a brauhaus. Worth visiting just to meet the owner

Leibhaftig

We had a fantastic evening at this brewery restaurant, owned by Marcus and Ilona Wanke. We had planned to have a night on the town, but the constant stream of their Wanke Bräu beer and Bavarian-style tapas was so amazing we couldn’t leave. Marcus was a wonderful host and, with a surge of microbeer restaurants opening up around Prenzlauerberg, this is a cut above the rest.
leibhaftig.com

Further to your recommendations above Kevin, let me know if you come across any more good bars or restaurants. I'm going over again in March for 3 nights before going back in May. At £28 return from Glasgow i just couldn't refuse. :-))

What dates and flight company did you get that price?. Would like to go over for union berlin games.

Easyjet and Ryan air mate. Last day of easyjet sale today so you might me lucky and get some cheap flights. Out on the Sunday with Easyjet early morning and back Wednesday afternoon with RyanAir. 13th to 16th March. Going again Sunday 29th May and back Wednesday 1st June. Booked these flights back in September last year and when i was booking my March trip the May flights were actually cheaper than the £70 I paid in September!!!

Easyjet and Ryan air mate. Last day of easyjet sale today so you might me lucky and get some cheap flights. Out on the Sunday with Easyjet early morning and back Wednesday afternoon with RyanAir. 13th to 16th March. Going again Sunday 29th May and back Wednesday 1st June. Booked these flights back in September last year and when i was booking my March trip the May flights were actually cheaper than the £70 I paid in September!!!

Cheers for that, thought it was the sales. Sometimes you get lucky, enjoy your trip!!

• 2 weeks later...

Recommendation for a brauhaus. Worth visiting just to meet the owner

Leibhaftig

We had a fantastic evening at this brewery restaurant, owned by Marcus and Ilona Wanke. We had planned to have a night on the town, but the constant stream of their Wanke Bräu beer and Bavarian-style tapas was so amazing we couldn’t leave. Marcus was a wonderful host and, with a surge of microbeer restaurants opening up around Prenzlauerberg, this is a cut above the rest.

leibhaftig.com

Went to this place the other night and its highly recommended. Very friendly owner and staff. we sat at the bar and the beer and bavarian tapas, ok different wee plates of sausage or cheese, were both superb. Its not the biggest but its very convivial. Owner is a Bayern Munich fan funnily enough. The beer is brewed 60km away and was the best I had when in Berlin. He is a good guy, not a wanke!

Also went to hop and barley in Friedrichshain which is a cracking boozer/brauhaus. Felt very much like a Scottish old school pub. Good beer, again in a convivial environment. Only downside was people smoking in the corridor which eventually permeated the whole pub. This was the second bar they were doing it in and I don't understand how they get away with it but as someone said "Its Berlin, no one gives a ". Also went to Rockz bar in that area which is very good as well. That was the first time I had walked around Friedrichshain and was pretty surprised at the number of bars and eating places, most of which have a happy hour with very cheap cocktails.

Berlin is a wonderful place.

With a bit of planning and luck with fixtures you can do 3 games in 3 cities over a weekend, if you are happy to get on the train for a wee while.

Agreed. Union Berlin and Babelsburg 08 (in Pottsdam) are away better than seeing Hertha. I had a Hertha season ticket for the year I lived there and regretted it. Union was a ton more fun. After 4 games in the Olympic Stadium the novelty had worn off and 45,000 fans in a 75,000 capacity stadium unfortunately = no atmosphere

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2016 at 5:21 AM, SteveMcD said:

Date now set as Friday 8th April. K/O @ 20:30

Suits me.

They're still not selling tickets for it, although they are selling them for their games against Bayern and Dortmund that are up after.  Don't imagine I'll have a problem right enough, but I'm the kind of anal who likes to get everything organised.

Would much prefer to see Union but they're away to Paderborn.  Would have loved to have gone the week before and gone to St Pauli v Union, that would've been excellent.

50 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Suits me.

They're still not selling tickets for it, although they are selling them for their games against Bayern and Dortmund that are up after.  Don't imagine I'll have a problem right enough, but I'm the kind of anal who likes to get everything organised.

Would much prefer to see Union but they're away to Paderborn.  Would have loved to have gone the week before and gone to St Pauli v Union, that would've been excellent.

Sale starts at 10am on Monday 14th March.