Hertha Berlin - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hertha Berlin

adamntg

Hoping to go to Hertha v Hannover due for 9th April and looking for any advice re tickets and so on. Don't seem to be released yet, but is it likely to be difficult to get them? Any tips? Also, when do Bundesliga games get moved to for TV - is it anytime from Friday to Monday?

Hoping to go to Hertha v Hannover due for 9th April and looking for any advice re tickets and so on. Don't seem to be released yet, but is it likely to be difficult to get them? Any tips? Also, when do Bundesliga games get moved to for TV - is it anytime from Friday to Monday?

Getting tickets will be easy. The Olympia Stadion is only ever sold out for Hertha games when Munich or Dortmund come calling. Date will likely get fixed ca. end of February. Is usually one game on a Friday, 5 on a Saturday at 3:30pm, 1 on the Saturday at 5:30pm then 2 on the Sunday (3:30pm & 5:30pm).

I will also be in attendance but in the H96 end.

They have a ticket office outside the stadium, we got tickets v Schalke no problem it's around where you enter coming from the train station.

Wee hint go for lower tier as the upper tier steps are quite steep

Old Olympic park from 1936 still there so lots of historical stuff if your into that sort of thing.

As well as getting the tickets online, you can buy them at the club shop. There's one in the Hauptbanhof. There was one in the Europa Centre near Zoo as well but I'm not sure if that's still open.

If you get them there rather than at the stadium, that will give you the benefit of covering your S-Bahn out to the stadium. I don't think you can do online booking and pick up at the club shop unfortunately.

Well, I was awfy disappointed to discover that although you can get a beer at the game in Spain it is Sin Alcool.

In the away sections at some German grounds there is only zero alcohol beer available. ( Wolfsburg & Hoffenheim for example). In the home end in Berlin will be regular Warsteiner (I think) on sale.

You'll need to get a stadium/payment card, since they now operate a cashless payment system.

I'm heading to Berlin the same weekend in April, but don't arrive until Sunday morning so hoping the game is moved to Sunday or Monday evening!

There are Europa league games (last 16) on on the 7th April. So any German teams (Augsburg, Dortmund, Leverkusen & Schalke are in the last 32) still involved will have their games for that weekend on the Sunday.

Recently put this together for a friend who was visiting for the first time. it might or might not be of use. Have been to all the places recommended

Hotels

Park Inn Alexanderplatz – Good hotel with great views over Berlin. Roof top bar that you have to pay to get into and is a bit pricey. Excellent value for money and close to transport connections. You can get an express train there from Schonefeld. When you get to the station at the airport there will be big queues for the ticket machines but if you go up on to the platform, there are ticket machines there which save you time.

Eating and Drinking

Bar Lemke - http://www.lemke.berlin/home/device.desktop/lang.en/

This bar is 5 minutes from Alexanderplatz. It’s a brauhaus in that it brews its own beer and does excellent food. Its built into two railway arches. Waiters all speak English. German food is pretty heavy in general with potatoes and pork featuring heavily. They do a massive knuckle of pork in most places and here its enough for two.

Next to Bar Lemke is a very nice bar called Riva. I don’t know if its named after the famous Italian footballer who is well before your time but it is beautifully done out and very upmarket.

If you walk along to the Hakeschermarkt there are loads of bars and eating places. All the restaurants and cafes are very well done out and serve food and drink of a high quality. There is an S-Bahn station there with good connections to the rest of the city.

In this area there is an excellent Vietnamese called Monsieur Vuong http://www.monsieurvuong.de

Its always mobbed and doesn’t take bookings but I eat there every time I go. Never been disappointed.

If you get an S-bahn to Savignyplatz there is a very good pizza restaurant called the 12 Apostles. Nicely finished and big portions. There are loads of eating places around this station as the area itself is pretty tasteful.

A very interesting area near Mitte is Prenzlauerberg. Its about a 15 minute walk or you can jump on a tram and it is a really lovely area with lots of restaurants and cafes. I have eaten in one called 1901 and so has Bill Clinton when he was President of the USA. http://www.restauration-1900.de/english/homeenglish.html

If you can find it the whole area has quite a lot to offer and is well worth a stroll

If you want to show Sara a bit of class go into the cocktail bar at the Hotel du Rome on or just off Unter den Linden. You don’t have to be a resident and it has a terrace. Not much of a view but it’s a fabulous hotel and very upmarket.

Sights

It’s a very flat city so is very easy to walk around. There a number of companies that do walking tours, this is one of them http://www.berlinwalks.de/public/

Have a look and see what you fancy. Ask your dad for an idea of what he thinks might be good. If you do one of these for a couple of hours it will fit in all the major landmarks quite easily. I wouldn’t bother with the canal boat trip as there’s not a lot to see from the canal.

However, near the Radisson Blue, 10 minutes from Alexanderplatz there is the DDR Museum. I went there in August a bit reluctantly but it was very interesting and gave you a good idea of what life was like in the old east.

I think they do tours of the Olympic Stadium as well and that is worth a visit as it’s a fantastic stadium with a lot of history.

To see what the old east was like, walk down Karl Marx Allee

Shopping

The Harrods equivalent of Berlin is a place called KaDaVe. Its in the main shopping area and if nothing else, you have to visit the foodhall. Absolutely mental. Live eels kept in tanks and when they are bought a guy just pulls a couple out, bangs them on the head with a stick and wraps them up. Loads of great wee food places for lunch or a snack. Again, high quality and a good chance it will be cooked in front of you.

For the youth market, ie places I look in and think who the wears that, again try Hakescher Markt. Lots of smaller independent shops and chains.

Recently put this together for a friend who was visiting for the first time. it might or might not be of use. Have been to all the places recommended

Hotels

Park Inn Alexanderplatz – Good hotel with great views over Berlin. Roof top bar that you have to pay to get into and is a bit pricey. Excellent value for money and close to transport connections. You can get an express train there from Schonefeld. When you get to the station at the airport there will be big queues for the ticket machines but if you go up on to the platform, there are ticket machines there which save you time.

Eating and Drinking

Bar Lemke - http://www.lemke.berlin/home/device.desktop/lang.en/

This bar is 5 minutes from Alexanderplatz. It’s a brauhaus in that it brews its own beer and does excellent food. Its built into two railway arches. Waiters all speak English. German food is pretty heavy in general with potatoes and pork featuring heavily. They do a massive knuckle of pork in most places and here its enough for two.

Next to Bar Lemke is a very nice bar called Riva. I don’t know if its named after the famous Italian footballer who is well before your time but it is beautifully done out and very upmarket.

If you walk along to the Hakeschermarkt there are loads of bars and eating places. All the restaurants and cafes are very well done out and serve food and drink of a high quality. There is an S-Bahn station there with good connections to the rest of the city.

In this area there is an excellent Vietnamese called Monsieur Vuong http://www.monsieurvuong.de

Its always mobbed and doesn’t take bookings but I eat there every time I go. Never been disappointed.

If you get an S-bahn to Savignyplatz there is a very good pizza restaurant called the 12 Apostles. Nicely finished and big portions. There are loads of eating places around this station as the area itself is pretty tasteful.

A very interesting area near Mitte is Prenzlauerberg. Its about a 15 minute walk or you can jump on a tram and it is a really lovely area with lots of restaurants and cafes. I have eaten in one called 1901 and so has Bill Clinton when he was President of the USA. http://www.restauration-1900.de/english/homeenglish.html

If you can find it the whole area has quite a lot to offer and is well worth a stroll

If you want to show Sara a bit of class go into the cocktail bar at the Hotel du Rome on or just off Unter den Linden. You don’t have to be a resident and it has a terrace. Not much of a view but it’s a fabulous hotel and very upmarket.

Sights

It’s a very flat city so is very easy to walk around. There a number of companies that do walking tours, this is one of them http://www.berlinwalks.de/public/

Have a look and see what you fancy. Ask your dad for an idea of what he thinks might be good. If you do one of these for a couple of hours it will fit in all the major landmarks quite easily. I wouldn’t bother with the canal boat trip as there’s not a lot to see from the canal.

However, near the Radisson Blue, 10 minutes from Alexanderplatz there is the DDR Museum. I went there in August a bit reluctantly but it was very interesting and gave you a good idea of what life was like in the old east.

I think they do tours of the Olympic Stadium as well and that is worth a visit as it’s a fantastic stadium with a lot of history.

To see what the old east was like, walk down Karl Marx Allee

Shopping

The Harrods equivalent of Berlin is a place called KaDaVe. Its in the main shopping area and if nothing else, you have to visit the foodhall. Absolutely mental. Live eels kept in tanks and when they are bought a guy just pulls a couple out, bangs them on the head with a stick and wraps them up. Loads of great wee food places for lunch or a snack. Again, high quality and a good chance it will be cooked in front of you.

For the youth market, ie places I look in and think who the ###### wears that, again try Hakescher Markt. Lots of smaller independent shops and chains.

I've been a few times, but going again next year for the marathon, so will look at this again nearer the time.

Should be alright that time of year. Another good reason to go is the beer festival in August. Was there this year and it was scorching. A mile of bars, various bands on stage and loads of different foods. Can't beat it

Scorching doesn't really sell something to me!

I know it got pretty hot when Baxter ran it, will be my 3rd marathon by the time it comes around, so that should hopefully help me adapt to whatever it might throw up on the day.