New League Cup Format & Winter Break Next Season - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New League Cup Format & Winter Break Next Season

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it say if it's regional or just seeded groups?

Could be a sneaky way to try and ensure the last 16 of the cup is the premiership and 4 others.

Anyway ###### it lets go for it. Worth a punt.

Just reading this, and that thought hadn't come to me yet. Over 5 games, it seems fairly likely that the cream will rise to the top, so it's unlikely there will be too many surprises in the last 16.

Having said that Motherwell drew with East Fife, then Morton in this seasons league cup!

Defo worth a try. I would include the European teams if possible as well. Would like to see it regionalised but that could be logistically difficult too.

Early competitive games for teams playing in Europe would've been a great selling point in my eyes...

Regionalised would be ok for a couple of season, but would get pretty dull after having the same group 3 years on the trot! Presuming it's seeded too, that could get so convoluted it would make the champions league draw look straight forward!

Just reading this, and that thought hadn't come to me yet. Over 5 games, it seems fairly likely that the cream will rise to the top, so it's unlikely there will be too many surprises in the last 16.

Having said that Motherwell drew with East Fife, then Morton in this seasons league cup!

Looks like it's only four games, with two home and two away. They really need to not seed it, but they will.

Looks like it's only four games, with two home and two away. They really need to not seed it, but they will.

I was under the impression that the idea was to regionalise the group stages. So Dundee would have Utd, St Johnstone, Arbroath & Forfar (or something like that).

There'd be a mix of divisions and also local derbies, in order to try and add a bit of excitement and attract crowds.

God knows who the Dons will be pitched in with. I'd rather we were in with the Dundee teams but suspect it'd be ICT & Ross County + 2 others. We'll just have to ensure we're in Europe and avoid this quandary.