Is Anyone Cofident We'll At Least Make The Play Offs - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Anyone Cofident We'll At Least Make The Play Offs

bonny78

how many ppl here think that we'll at least make the play offs for 2018? winning the group is something scotland never do, never have done, never will do etc.. but i'd like to think we have a chance. There's only a small amount of gaves after all and anything can happen short term.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are going to have any chance of finishing 2nd, we firstly need to rely on England (who I am more than sure will win the group.....) not being like Germany and dropping silly points to Slovakia and Slovenia, and ultimately we need to win in Slovakia and (more importantly.....) over coming our curse of not coming away from Lithuania with full points.

Slovakia look a very strong team, but not any stronger than what Poland were, and though Slovenia have lost a number of their big players, they have replaced them with younger players of equal quality (this away game being the last one could either be winner takes all, or or but useless for both of us, so will cross that bridge when we come to it).

My feelings are not as high as 50-50 on our chances, but do think we have a chance (case of will Strachan learn from his mistakes by then)

I dont think we are even capable of taking 12 points off Lithuania and Malta :(

But do that...and beat Slovenia and Slovakia at home?

Awww god here is me hoping again :blush:

Though Malta will be a much higher and better standard than Gibraltar, they are still a pot 6 team (granted, one of the better ones.....) and if we are talking about dropping points to them, then we should not bother showing up.

Lithuania is the one that bugs me, simply because of our history against them (though they seem to be in a bit of a disarray at the moment, as they agreed terms with a Polish manager to take over as head coach, only for him at the last minute to change his mind....and they are struggling to agree on a replacement)

Though Malta will be a much higher and better standard than Gibraltar, they are still a pot 6 team (granted, one of the better ones.....) and if we are talking about dropping points to them, then we should not bother showing up.

Lithuania is the one that bugs me, simply because of our history against them (though they seem to be in a bit of a disarray at the moment, as they agreed terms with a Polish manager to take over as head coach, only for him at the last minute to change his mind....and they are struggling to agree on a replacement)

Aye its the Lithuania away game 4th from last in September 2017 that is giving me the fear

We'll win a couple of games and think we're gonna win the World Cup! That's just how football fans are.

I'm quietly confident we will qualify or at very least make the playoffs. Due to disappointment in last campaign there seems to be a defeatist attitude so hopefully with lesser expectations it will reduce the chance of us bottling it.

But aye, I'll not be surprised if we start campaign not expecting much. Win a few games & really start to believe. We'll have a shocker, losing a game we really should win. It'll come down to a massive make or break game which inevitably we'll bottle it & leave us all gutted & questioning why we bother. Only for the cycle to start all over again!

We'll win a couple of games and think we're gonna win the World Cup! That's just how football fans are.

I'm quietly confident we will qualify or at very least make the playoffs. Due to disappointment in last campaign there seems to be a defeatist attitude so hopefully with lesser expectations it will reduce the chance of us bottling it.

But aye, I'll not be surprised if we start campaign not expecting much. Win a few games & really start to believe. We'll have a shocker, losing a game we really should win. It'll come down to a massive make or break game which inevitably we'll bottle it & leave us all gutted & questioning why we bother. Only for the cycle to start all over again!

Exactly! Excitement will probably peak round about November of next year after we have picked up a minimum of 7 points from our first 3 group games, then dreams shattered after defeat at Wembley, only for it to slowly rise again (with probably a very plucky performance against England at Hampden added in......) before dashed again against Slovakia at Hampden in the final home game :lol::cry::ok::yikes3::shocked:

Edited by wanderer

Can see it now.

Beat Malta away and Lithuania at home.

Good point away to Slovakia. The "What if" begins.

Plucky defeat to England

Beat Slovenia at home and narrowly lose to England at home.

Then here it comes Lithuania away...choke as usual

Beat Malta at home to give us a chance..13 points and needing to beat Slovakia at home on a wet wednesday night in October to take it to the final game.

Draw 2-2 and we all go to Slovenia anyway singing "No Scotland No Party"

how many ppl here think that we'll at least make the play offs for 2018? winning the group is something scotland never do, never have done, never will do etc.. but i'd like to think we have a chance. There's only a small amount of gaves after all and anything can happen short term.

No chance

I don't see the competition any different to last campaign, albeit 2nd place this time would only get a play off.

We're certainly capable of bettering them all, England aside. Consistency will be the key, not blowing it in games v Lithuania/Malta as well as obviously winning home games v Slovakia/Slovenia.

Of note we start with Malta (a) and Lithuania (h). Slovakia (who I'd say are our biggest challenge for 2nd) start England (h) Slovenia (a). If they came out of those game with less than 3 points, anything for us in Slovakia would have them in a tough position right from the start.

Edited by McToot

England have been good in qualifying and hopefully they win the group.

It'll be good to see Slovakia at the Euros to see how they are.

I watched a few Slovenia games and I don't think we have anything to fear. They struggled to beat Lithuania and Estonia at home, and their first playoff game v Ukraine could've been 4/5-0 if not fir Handanovic.

Lithuania are hopeless, I expect Malta will be more of a challenge.

No doubt it'll come down to 1pt and it'll be our inevitable 2-1 loss in Lithuania that knocks us out.