Is Anyone Cofident We'll At Least Make The Play Offs - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Anyone Cofident We'll At Least Make The Play Offs

bonny78

Am I correct in saying GTR, Bosnia were highest ranked team in the playoffs?

they were indeed

Have you forgotten how shite we were in Dublin? We've got worse since that game!

For sure - it cant be argued that since Dublin , Your results have been on a downward curve. But with a new campaign comes new hope.

Ye were not that far away from making Euro 2016 despite your poor end to the campaign.

You may have been poor in Dublin, but unfortunately teams like Scotland and Ireland with limitations are going to have poor games.

We were brutal in Glasgow for example.

Its up to your management to realise what errors were made from the last campaign and address them for the forthcoming one which hopefully he/they will do.

With the exception of England ( who probably will win the group) - and with respect to the other nations in your group......they are beatable.

Slovenia , in their last campaign....lost to Estonia, Drew at home to Lithuania

Slovakia, in their last campaign......lost at home to Belarus

My opinion would be that Both the above nations are decent sides and deserve respect and will be tough challengers, but like Scotland and Ireland , they too have certain limitations , have shite games and are beatable on your day.

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they were indeed

For sure - it cant be argued that since Dublin , Your results have been on a downward curve. But with a new campaign comes new hope.

Ye were not that far away from making Euro 2016 despite your poor end to the campaign.

You may have been poor in Dublin, but unfortunately teams like Scotland and Ireland with limitations are going to have poor games.

We were brutal in Glasgow for example.

Its up to your management to realise what errors were made from the last campaign and address them for the forthcoming one which hopefully he/they will do.

With the exception of England ( who probably will win the group) - and with respect to the other nations in your group......they are beatable.

Slovenia , in their last campaign....lost to Estonia, Drew at home to Lithuania

Slovakia, in their last campaign......lost at home to Belarus

My opinion would be that Both the above nations are decent sides and deserve respect and will be tough challengers, but like Scotland and Ireland , they too have certain limitations , have shite games and are beatable on your day.

They are beatable yes but we wont try and beat them away, same as Lithuania.

We are being realistic not pssimistic saying that 4th is likely for us tbh.

Second is possible but so is fifth.

4th is most likely - It's where we're at to be fair and brutally honest.

5th is possible.

3rd we could possibly get but not with the current system and style of playing.

2nd no chance to be honest - Would love to say we could finish there but seriously, how!? There's just no way really unless we dramatically alter things, freshen up and approach the group in a totally differnet way.

1st Lol

6th Come on now. Although Malta aren't that bad.....!!!

Why all the doom and gloom ffs..... Ok we all know we are up against it big time but to write us off before a ball is kicked is ludicrous... In the euros we were so close one disastrous game in Georgia sealed our fate, ok you could say Ireland and Poland cost us but at end of day a win in Georgia we would have finished Third, hopefully Strachan has learnt his mistakes from that campaign and will put it right we also have snodgrass back what a difference he would have made, Strachan has time to look at fringe players and bring some new blood in. IMO this is strachans big test he has had a full campaign and now has 9/10 months to look at players and get it right..... To write us off completely I honestly can't get my head around it the teams we have in our group are beatable with the exception of England but even then a draw at hampden is not impossible... I for one am looking forward to September and do believe we have a realistic chance of finishing second

Why all the doom and gloom ffs..... Ok we all know we are up against it big time but to write us off before a ball is kicked is ludicrous... In the euros we were so close one disastrous game in Georgia sealed our fate, ok you could say Ireland and Poland cost us but at end of day a win in Georgia we would have finished Third, hopefully Strachan has learnt his mistakes from that campaign and will put it right we also have snodgrass back what a difference he would have made, Strachan has time to look at fringe players and bring some new blood in. IMO this is strachans big test he has had a full campaign and now has 9/10 months to look at players and get it right..... To write us off completely I honestly can't get my head around it the teams we have in our group are beatable with the exception of England but even then a draw at hampden is not impossible... I for one am looking forward to September and do believe we have a realistic chance of finishing second

No, no we don't.

We have blind optimism and the standard over-rating of our below average players.

Realistic? No chance.

I want to say we do as much as anyone but we are rank rotten at the moment I am afraid.

Not a cat in hell's chance. Was quite confident of victory against Malta to get 3 points on the board straight away, then did a search on their Euro qualifiers results, two single goal defeats to Italy, one to Croatia and draws against Bulgaria and Azerbaijan make them a very tricky outfit as a bottom seed

Yes they are a very tricky bottom seeded side. However do you think England and Slovakia will drop points there? Or would Germany, Poland and Ireland have dropped points there had we been drawn against them in the last campaign? I suspect we all know the answer to that.

Malta away followed by Lithuania at home has to be six points to give us some momentum and confidence and to have any chance of finishing second - but agree with you Not a cat in hell's chance

Yes they are a very tricky bottom seeded side. However do you think England and Slovakia will drop points there? Or would Germany, Poland and Ireland have dropped points there had we been drawn against them in the last campaign? I suspect we all know the answer to that.

The teams you've mentioned are teams that have been good enough to regularly qualify for tournaments over past few years, we have not

These are all teams that will adequately prepare for the qualification campaign by playing friendlies as well. The attitude of most of our recent managers to friendlies has been awful and obviously hasn't helped our attempts at qualifying for a tournament.

England and Slovakia will have played a minimum of 9 games between the qualification campaigns, Slovenia will play a minimum of 6 whereas we will probably play 3. Our squad that goes to Malta will - accounting for injuries - be almost exactly the same as the last 2 that were picked and couldn't qualify, but it's ok because we're going to have a warm weather training camp! Brilliant!

These are all teams that will adequately prepare for the qualification campaign by playing friendlies as well. The attitude of most of our recent managers to friendlies has been awful and obviously hasn't helped our attempts at qualifying for a tournament.

England and Slovakia will have played a minimum of 9 games between the qualification campaigns, Slovenia will play a minimum of 6 whereas we will probably play 3. Our squad that goes to Malta will - accounting for injuries - be almost exactly the same as the last 2 that were picked and couldn't qualify, but it's ok because we're going to have a warm weather training camp! Brilliant!

Yes it's very frustrating indeed.

We should play 2 games in both March and the end of the season, as most nations will.

Wouldn't stun me if we only played 1 on each date, possibly even just 1 in total.

Madness.

On another note Michael Mifsud (Malta's main striker) has scored 40 international goals, many of which have came against good sides we struggle to score against. A lot of his goals are in friendly matches and they regularly play the maximum amount of friendlies available. As do pretty much every other nation I would imagine.

Rant over.

You nailed it !

Scotland fans are perpetually either blinded by optimism or negativity, we're either onto something special or we're absolutely awful with no chance of doing anything.

The reality is somewhere in between, The group is tricky.

Malta have been competitive recently with 2 narrow defeats to Italy during the last campaign.

Lithuania look as poor as they've done in years with 2 unimpressive wins over San Marino masking a poor campaign.

Slovenia are in need of a re-building job, they're relying on the old guard like Novakovic and look devoid of something fresh in the final 3rd, they've got an aging squad and could do with a skake up.

Slovakia have Hamisik...but also an average age of over 30, and will I suspect be in a transition period during the qualifying campaign, they have a difficult group at the euro's and could face a public outcry for youthful change unless they pull up trees and do something crazy.

England are extremely athletic and have an excellent track record of winning their group.

All in all I suspect that Malta and Lithuania will make up the bottom 2, and England are big favourites for the group....but Slovenia and Slovakia could well be teams in transition and our settled squad and management team gives us a fighting chance of second (doesn't guarantee us a play-off).

The reality for me is that we're not going to be flying through the group to the WC, but we will also keep ourselves in the reckoning for the top 2 to the conclusion of the group.

I don't think Scotland will qualify for 2018, and beyond, unless they lose 2 attitudes...

1) it's okay to concede 6 points to the top seeded team - whoever they may be - and hope all the other teams do as well

2) "I'd take a draw" away to similar seeded teams

Exactly my thinking.