Barrowlands - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maggie mays on argyle st is a 5 mins walk. Or several other places in merchant city. Love the vatersay boys. Always a great night at the barras. Unfortunately I'm working this Friday.

Edited by 1ANDYP

There's a cracking little pub (by which I mean I liked it :) ) not far away from there called Babbity Bowster although it was rammed last time I was there (a Saturday evening). I went to a Mexican place as well a couple of streets down that had tables free when most other places nearby were full to the rafters. I can't remember what it was called now but food was decent.

There's a cracking little pub (by which I mean I liked it :) ) not far away from there called Babbity Bowster although it was rammed last time I was there (a Saturday evening). I went to a Mexican place as well a couple of streets down that had tables free when most other places nearby were full to the rafters. I can't remember what it was called now but food was decent.

Pancho's villa. Bell St.

I'd imagine that would have been Pancho Villas. Merchant City is by far the best option. Some really nice places to eat such as Italian Kitchen, The Dhakin or The Dhabba if you fancy a curry or a few options in the indoor complex at Merchant Square. The area surrounding the Barras is, to put it bluntly, a shithole.

Pancho's villa. Bell St.

I'd imagine that would have been Pancho Villas. Merchant City is by far the best option. Some really nice places to eat such as Italian Kitchen, The Dhakin or The Dhabba if you fancy a curry or a few options in the indoor complex at Merchant Square. The area surrounding the Barras is, to put it bluntly, a shithole.

Yes indeed, that was the place.

Of to the Barras (never been before) on Friday night to see The Vatersay Boys, I'm guessing best option is to get something to eat in city centre then taxi to the gig? I'm assuming there's not much in the vicinity!

Barrowlands is always a great night when the Vatersay Boys play there.

Maggie mays on argyle st is a 5 mins walk. Or several other places in merchant city. Love the vatersay boys. Always a great night at the barras. Unfortunately I'm working this Friday.

Then come and see them at Stramash in Edinburgh on Saturday :-))

Babbity's a great wee place. Often used to bump into Ian Hamilton (liberator of the Stone of Destiny there).

Blackfriars is another shout - varied beer / ale / cider selection, decent food and handy for Barrowlands. It isn't cheap, but it seems nowhere in the Merchant City is these days - I once heard the manager comment that the prices keep the riffraff out :lol: .

Home is still decent for prices compared to some of the other boozers round there.

What the has happened to Red Lizard though? Saw it had changed into G Town Lounge.......what the actual is that?

Home is still decent for prices compared to some of the other boozers round there.

What the ###### has happened to Red Lizard though? Saw it had changed into G Town Lounge.......what the actual ###### is that?

An absolute shithole if there was ever one. I was in there for a pint prior to a mates party at Home a few months back. In the brief time I was in there 3 draught beers went off meaning they only had one left they could serve. This was at something like 7pm on a Saturday.

We then ended up in there watching one of the Scotland games (can't mind which one, maybe Ireland away). Through the course of the afternoon every single draught beer/ale they had ran out till all that was left was whatever bottles they had ran to the nearest supermarket to panic buy which were obviously warm. I've never seen such a poorly organised boozer in my life.

An absolute shithole if there was ever one. I was in there for a pint prior to a mates party at Home a few months back. In the brief time I was in there 3 draught beers went off meaning they only had one left they could serve. This was at something like 7pm on a Saturday.

We then ended up in there watching one of the Scotland games (can't mind which one, maybe Ireland away). Through the course of the afternoon every single draught beer/ale they had ran out till all that was left was whatever bottles they had ran to the nearest supermarket to panic buy which were obviously warm. I've never seen such a poorly organised boozer in my life.

We were in there before the Ireland game at Parkhead.

They ran out of every draft beer and only had 3 bar staff on! We eventually left and went up the Gallowgate!

We were in there before the Ireland game at Parkhead.

They ran out of every draft beer and only had 3 bar staff on! We eventually left and went up the Gallowgate!

Might have been that one. We ended up watching the second half in some right slophouse in the Gallowgate too.

I've just watched The Legend of Barney Thomson in which the Barras features quite heavily (sad way to spend your birthday but the wife's away and the DVD was a gift from me sister). Beautifully shot (Robert Carlyle's directorial debut), daft plot - this should probably be in the film thread - and, aye, it looks a bit rough round there ....

We went to The Dhabba, food was outstanding!!