Ian Bell Dead - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ian Bell Dead

He wrote the best review I've ever read of a Dylan gig- at the SECC. Despite the venue's horrid acoustics, and Bob's, ahem, idiosyncrasies, it was magical, and Ian's review nailed it. He was never less than interesting, and mostly rivetting, thoughtful and insightful. A good man gone.

What Bob Crampsey was to Scottish football, Ian Bell was to political discourse, morality and Scottish culture.

A ing bastion.

However hungover, strung out and full of bile and shite, Ian Bell wis someone I would readily read who would rationalise the situation and pull it away from the knee jerk right-wing agenda and explore the greater picture.

A brilliant writer, a guid mind and one who will be sorely missed.

Too soon.

RIP.

Early days. Today's Guardian obituary mentions he died at home shortly after becoming ill.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/12/ian-bell-obituary

Was he battling a long term illness and had a relapse I wonder? It was quite a shock to learn of his death given his age and how prolific he was - a column appearing in the Herald just before his death.

What Bob Crampsey was to Scottish football, Ian Bell was to political discourse, morality and Scottish culture.

A ing bastion.

However hungover, strung out and full of bile and shite, Ian Bell wis someone I would readily read who would rationalise the situation and pull it away from the knee jerk right-wing agenda and explore the greater picture.

A brilliant writer, a guid mind and one who will be sorely missed.

Too soon.

RIP.

Spot on BG.