Stuttgart - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stuttgart

dan cake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone anything else to add?

I'm thinking of heading ver on Friday to Sunday just for a weekend of boozing and having a relaxing dander around however my memory is the place is a concrete jungle with little to look at and admire?

Anywhere nearby that fits the bill of a quintessentailly german place with good boozers?

18 hours ago, macy37 said:

Anyone anything else to add?

I'm thinking of heading ver on Friday to Sunday just for a weekend of boozing and having a relaxing dander around however my memory is the place is a concrete jungle with little to look at and admire?

Anywhere nearby that fits the bill of a quintessentailly german place with good boozers?

My ex-bird lived there, so I've spent a fair bit of time in Stuttgart.

As others have said the centre of town is a bit non-descript but there's a nice palace and gardens in the centre of town. The Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museums are worth visiting if you're into your cars. Other things to do include going up the TV Tower (Fernsehturm) which is directly above Stuttgarter Kickers' stadium. There's also a decent zoo in Stuttgart.

I can't see what dates you are looking at going, but Fruhlingsfest is coming up which is the Spring version of Oktoberfest. I've done it a few times, and the beer tents are superb! The beer festival stuff takes place in a part of Stuttgart called Canstatter Wasen, which is beside VFB Stuttgart's stadium.

Outside of Stuttgart, Esslingen is a really pleasant wee town 20 mins on the train from Stuttgart. It has a nice historic old town, and a castle high above the town which you can walk up to.

Edited by Jocko

1 hour ago, Jocko said:

My ex-bird lived there, so I've spent a fair bit of time in Stuttgart.

As others have said the centre of town is a bit non-descript but there's a nice palace and gardens in the centre of town. The Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museums are worth visiting if you're into your cars. Other things to do include going up the TV Tower (Fernsehturm) which is directly above Stuttgarter Kickers' stadium. There's also a decent zoo in Stuttgart.

I can't see what dates you are looking at going, but Fruhlingsfest is coming up which is the Spring version of Oktoberfest. I've done it a few times, and the beer tents are superb! The beer festival stuff takes place in a part of Stuttgart called Canstatter Wasen, which is beside VFB Stuttgart's stadium.

Outside of Stuttgart, Esslingen is a really pleasant wee town 20 mins on the train from Stuttgart. It has a nice historic old town, and a castle high above the town which you can walk up to.

Thanks, friday coming is when we are looking at.

havd you any experience of Tubingen? Looks lovely and surely with 27k students it must have plenty boozers ? Seriously lacking hitels mind from what I can see for a place with 90k people?

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Stayed in Tubingen and it was fantastic. Young vibe in the city, great folk, food and beer.

Spoke with 2 groups on way home who had spent weekend in Stuttgart and none of them would head back so happy with our choice!

was in stuttgart attending the hoffenheim game last weekend

found a couple of decent boozers 

mata hari being one of them

stuttgart was fine for 2 days on the lash but dont think id want to stay much longer tbh

nice and cheap tho 

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, deecie said:

You've never been to Gelsenkirchen then.

Have to agree wasn't the greatest spot but did have the most fantastic Chinese buffet I was ever at. Not your stodgy cooked hours ago muck this was raw fish, scallops prawns oysters etc which you put on a plate with a peg on it and the chef cooks it for you and hands it back to you

Absolutly stunning , you could go up as many times as you like and all for 15 euro - Top 3 meals on an away trip