Weekend Fitba' - Page 15 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Weekend Fitba'

Not sure any posts are personal information. They are just a historical statement of opinion.

Back when this board was started folk thought that money was to be made by advertising on the back of popular posts and so on...

It is funny... the money is in the content of what we posted...years and years of super rich content.

Really excellent stuff that was routinely expunged by whoever it was on here over the years. (Please do not explain who it it was as I will never have no respect for whoever it was).

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on this it's difficult to see how data is actually being stored.

There is no interpretation of the DPA that would mean that an e-mail address and person's real name would not be considered personal data. As for how it's being stored, it's being stored electronically. ie there will be a database linked to the forum software that will hold all members details.

In brief – what does the Data Protection Act say about keeping personal data?

The Act does not set out any specific minimum or maximum periods for retaining personal data. Instead, it says that:

Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.

This is the fifth data protection principle. In practice, it means that you will need to:

• review the length of time you keep personal data;
  • consider the purpose or purposes you hold the information for in deciding whether (and for how long) to retain it;
  • securely delete information that is no longer needed for this purpose or these purposes; and
  • update, archive or securely delete information if it goes out of date.

The basic premise of Data Protection is that organisations can only collect data from you and use it for the purpose of it's collection. The way this applies to the TAMB is that in order to register you have to give them your e-mail and real name. This is personal data and must be deleted as soon as there is no purpose any more. ie If a member leaves the TAMB their personal data should be deleted ASAP. I've requested they delete this data as I no longer wish to be a member. So far they have refused to delete it. Obviously as soon as it's deleted my account disappears. I've offered them a compromise in the "voluntary ban" where my username will not be on the current users list but my details will remain on an archive so they can prevent any banned member from reregistering. They refuse this compromise too. Why they are being so stubborn I don't know but I can be as stubborn as them and if they don't delete my data or accept my compromise the ICO is getting an e-mail.

The fact that the TAMB runs adverts to pay for itself means they are not exempt from the DPA.

You do get that these are just guidelines and are there for interpretation? Even the bit about adverts is misleading, it actually would revolve around a revenue stream and its definition.

Personal data? Hmmm, this place doesn't have a working email for me, nor a valid date of birth, not sure a username can be construed as personal so that just leaves a name that may or may not be real.

There is no interpretation of the DPA that would mean that an e-mail address and person's real name would not be considered personal data. As for how it's being stored, it's being stored electronically. ie there will be a database linked to the forum software that will hold all members details.

So it's not as clear cut as you're making out.

You do get that these are just guidelines and are there for interpretation? Even the bit about adverts is misleading, it actually would revolve around a revenue stream and its definition.

Personal data? Hmmm, this place doesn't have a working email for me, nor a valid date of birth, not sure a username can be construed as personal so that just leaves a name that may or may not be real.

From the board guidelines Anonymous registration is not permitted. Users registering must submit their real name and a valid e-mail address.

Whether someone registers with a false e-mail address and name is irrelevant, by accepting the registration the mods are accepting they are genuine and so they must be treated within the guidelines of the DPA.

And yes, I do accept that my interpretation may not be the same same interpretation that ICO put on it. But, as I have said I have nothing to lose by making a report, it's not me who is taking the chance.

From the board guidelines Anonymous registration is not permitted. Users registering must submit their real name and a valid e-mail address.

Whether someone registers with a false e-mail address and name is irrelevant, by accepting the registration the mods are accepting they are genuine and so they must be treated within the guidelines of the DPA.

And yes, I do accept that my interpretation may not be the same same interpretation that ICO put on it. But, as I have said I have nothing to lose by making a report, it's not me who is taking the chance.

You were attempting to use this as a big stick to get your way and appear to have been found out.

Chance about what?

ICO have issued 29 fines in two years and funnily enough nothing of this scale (and I mean small) mostly cold calling companies and a couple about cops losing stuff.

And since you are fond of cut and paste. Here is one from ICO about social media.

What other rights do I have?

You also have the right to stop organisations using your information to send you direct marketing. You should get the opportunity to opt in or opt out of receiving such marketing at the point you give your personal details. You should also have the opportunity to change your preference later if you change your mind.

If you would like to see or correct personal information that is held about you, or if you think there is a problem with how your personal information has been collected online, or how it is being used, you should first contact the person or organisation responsible for collecting the information.

The provider of the service or website you have given the information to should give details of how you can contact those responsible – often this information is in the privacy notice on its website.

If you complain to an organisation about the collection or use of your personal information, they should be able to explain to you how they are processing your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act.

We are no longer in "failing to comply with my request will mean you are in breach of the DPA" territory as you were challenged on this and it appears that rather sweeping statement is an exaggeration.

I did DPA training, albeit over ten years ago. I was Data Controller for a company I was was IT manager for. I'm not doing this as an uninformed amateur. There is no doubt that the TAMB hold personal data of mine and there is little doubt about the TAMB having to comply with the DPA.

I did DPA training, albeit over ten years ago. I was Data Controller for a company I was was IT manager for. I'm not doing this as an uninformed amateur. There is no doubt that the TAMB hold personal data of mine and there is little doubt about the TAMB having to comply with the DPA.

So the ICO will concur with your interpretation?

I am not quite sure why you think the TAMB is not complying with the guidelines. They don't post or sell personal information, in fact and could argue that retaining a link to a poster is protecting them from future claims. Of the information they hold about the only bit that had to be true at a point in time is not in the public domain.

Example:

Who posted this copyright infringing stuff?

Dunno. We let him post what he wanted and then deleted any links to the individual.

Actually paused the TV. I think the TAMB could reasobaly show that there is a need for the limited personal information that they hold. The example below being a case in point.

Just for the record, I deal with this pish today.

Edited by andymac

So the ICO will concur with your interpretation?

I believe they will but like all things legal they may not. I think I have a very high chance of success but I'm not naive enough to think it's 100%

I also believe that I may have to stop posting and request that my details are deleted from an external e-mail address, but I'm giving the mods a chance to respond here.

I was nice yesterday, saw a subject that I've posted on before (Handball) and posted my opinion, politely. Within a couple of posts the board troll appears and starts his "Declan, plastic paddy" nonsense at me. So, I press the report button, as your supposed to instead of responding in kind. I message admin4 to bring her attention to it. Within a few minutes admin4 has not only decided to do nothing about my complaint, she posts on the thread itself to let everyone know I've reported someone and to publicly rub in my face the fact that she's going to do nothing about it.

A grown man crying to the internet.

Mopetastic.

Out of interest, what exactly are you complaining about?

I noticed that your external link to your photo site has gone but you could have done that yourself at any time. Equally you can change your name (as I just have).

So the only link was an invisible email address to the stuff you posted here.

Good luck with your legal case.

Edited by andymac

Have Celtic ever dropped a point after their Europa League games?

I don't recall it happening.

Incredible stat but nobody will wish to give us any credit for it.

Always thought that sort of pish was the kind of thing managers used as an excuse for losing games.

Only a Tim could use it after winning I think 'love us, love us, love us' :)

Good result today in fairness, was definitely a potential banana skin, given how Saints have been playing.

Always thought that sort of pish was the kind of thing managers used as an excuse for losing games.

Only a Tim could use it after winning I think 'love us, love us, love us' :)

Good result today in fairness, was definitely a potential banana skin, given how Saints have been playing.

I'll put that rod away now.