Euro 2016 Draw - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2016 Draw

As for using the term 'these islands' - New Zealanders, Indonesians, Greeks, Polynesians, Bahamians, Filipinos, Melanesians and others agree that it lacks specificity. And form of governance has nowt to do with it - were we all republics, we'd still inhabit the British Isles.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 British teams ! , did Scotland receive a late bye ?

Hint , the Republic do not kowtow to a Queen .

Geography me bollix !

Ye Brits owe allegiance to the Queen (as recently confirmed by your recent referendum !), we are a Republic.

We much prefer the term - "these islands "

You are British, accept it as fact.

Not even going to argue with you, if you don't know where you live, I'd recommend looking at a map.

If the semis were made up off England, Wales, Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland and push came to shove I'd actually prefer England to win

Edit: I wouldn't want England to win but I certainly wouldn't any of the other three to win

Why the hell not? I want anybody to beat Eng. Not to support Wales is just small-minded jealousy.

Because the Republic are Celtic bastards, the North are Rangers bastards and Gareth Bale is a c*nt

I agree about preferring England over the other British teams, although I'd like to add...

NI - sectarian tossers, Lafferty, flag waving uneducated morons and GSTQ

RoI - McGeady, McCarthy and ONeill

Wales - just everything really.

You are British, accept it as fact.

Not even going to argue with you, if you don't know where you live, I'd recommend looking at a map.

That strikes me as being deficient in understanding of both history and geography. None of Ireland is 'British', although some or all of it has been part of the United Kingdom. I'm genuinely not sure how widespread around the world the term 'British Isles' is in use. I suspect, and am very much open to correction, that it is an entirely anglo-centric term, rather like 'we' talk about 'the English Channel' and the French talk about 'La Manche'. Edited by Pool Q

That strikes me as being deficient in understanding of both history and geography. None of Ireland is 'British', although some or all of it has been part of the United Kingdom. I'm genuinely nor sure how widespread around the world the term 'British Isles' is in use. I suspect, and am very much open to correction, that it is an entirely anglo-centric term, rather like 'we' talk about 'the English Channel' and the French talk about 'La Manche'.

Yup, there's no getting away from 'British' as a political term rather than purely geographic. Wiki's take on it.

Geography me bollix !

Ye Brits owe allegiance to the Queen (as recently confirmed by your recent referendum !), we are a Republic.

We much prefer the term - "these islands "

Doesn't matter what you prefer. You're British by matter or cartographic fact. You should just accept it