I Used To Think People Who Thought The Moon Landing Was Fake Were Mental, But - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I Used To Think People Who Thought The Moon Landing Was Fake Were Mental, But

Professor Brian cox is a boring khunt that makes me want to go do something else when he talks about science. In fact every time i see the khunt i have to go watch a Feynman lecture, to maintain my keen interest in science.

That doesn't negate his entirely correct description of people in this case.

That doesn't negate his entirely correct description of people in this case.

what description? combining two pejoratives together then spending time on deciding which one is the best in some communal twitter group. are they "shitwits" or "####nozzles", pressing questions in science. He's meant to be the face of science education or one of them anyway.

I'm reminded of a letter to Richard Feynman in which the person said he had noticed a new force (and wanted it called after himself) to do with winding a bit of yarn round a pencil. Now Feynman could have got together with like minded folk and decided on a label for that person, or he could write a detailed reply explaining that the change in potential energy by winding the pencil up in yarn was enough to propel the pencil. Fully explained and thanking him for bringing this "interesting phenomena" to his attention.

Guess what path was taken by the great educator.

If folk don't believe in the space station show them how they can actually see it. As that is very possible. Science should be accessible to all, everything we hold as true will most likely be shown in the future to be a unimaginative, inaccurate imprecise caricature of what reality is really like.

I just don't see the doubt in Cox like i did other presenters, it rubs me up the wrong way, as evidenced by this lengthy post :ok:

Professor Brian cox is a boring khunt that makes me want to go do something else when he talks about science. In fact every time i see the khunt i have to go watch a Feynman lecture, to maintain my keen interest in science.

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one. He is such a smarmy boring khunt it is an instant channel change. No wonder the BBC love him he just the kind of know it all boring khunt they go for and put on TV in a near loop of incredible boringness. The boring khunt.

Edited by thplinth

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one. He is such a smarmy boring khunt it is an instant channel change. No wonder the BBC love him he just the kind of know it all boring khunt they go for and put on TV in a near loop of incredible boringness. The boring khunt.

3 definitions of the scientific method one with Cox one with feynman, with Neil degreassie in middle as neutral comparison. Common sense? that's a human invention no place in science. Wonder who Cox is copying here?

Edited by phart

3 definitions of the scientific method one with Cox one with feynman, with Neil degreassie in middle as neutral comparison. Common sense? that's a human invention no place in science. Wonder who Cox is copying here?

I’ve seen him in a few things (including a Christmas lecture I think it was which I normally enjoy). As you point out he is really fecking boring and despite being a big shot professor completely fails to animate any topic he is describing. In fact he routinely sucks the life out of anything he is windbagging on.

There is also a big streak of whank running through him as he regularly denigrates people who believe in things of which he disapproves. Really vitriolic sneering stuff.

The combination of deeply boring veering into utter whankiness puts him up there with that other great BBC hall of famer whank of whanks Dara O'Whankien.

Edited by thplinth

what description? combining two pejoratives together then spending time on deciding which one is the best in some communal twitter group. are they "shitwits" or "####nozzles", pressing questions in science. He's meant to be the face of science education or one of them anyway.

I'm reminded of a letter to Richard Feynman in which the person said he had noticed a new force (and wanted it called after himself) to do with winding a bit of yarn round a pencil. Now Feynman could have got together with like minded folk and decided on a label for that person, or he could write a detailed reply explaining that the change in potential energy by winding the pencil up in yarn was enough to propel the pencil. Fully explained and thanking him for bringing this "interesting phenomena" to his attention.

If folk don't believe in the space station show them how they can actually see it. As that is very possible. Science should be accessible to all, everything we hold as true will most likely be shown in the future to be a unimaginative, inaccurate imprecise caricature of what reality is really like.

I just don't see the doubt in Cox like i did other presenters, it rubs me up the wrong way, as evidenced by this lengthy post :ok:

Surely you're joking Mr phart!!??

I know you've given me a red (or yellow?) card but don't recall if the terms included not responding to/quoting your posts? And I happen to agree with this one.

We should admire Prof Cox for being made entirely of wax and yet still being able to find his way around a casio keyboard while lipsynching through the rictus grin permanently embossed on his pus. That takes some doing.

Less attractive is the fact that he is utterly middle of the road, unchallenging and fiercly dogmatic in his views on the universe. He brings no original insights to any debate in any area of life as we imagine it to be. That's why he's a media darling and the chosen mouthpiece of the mediocre for the masses - when science should be anything but. Did I mention he was also made of wax?