Losing Interest... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Losing Interest...

scotsgary2

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never. Been a lot worse than this. Would you rather be another nationality?

San Marino for me.

I actually wrote to the SMFA to offer my services as the manager. My strategy outlined in the supporting statement was "i'd get the team really really drunk before each game and tell each man to do their best son"

Never got a response ^?^

Will never lose interest in my country. Will always watch the games and take an interest in how our players are doing at club level.

Haven't been to a game since late 2012 as result of the high ticket prices and me needing to be more frugal with my cash than I was in the past.

I just wish that some of the fans (the press are a lost cause) would be slightly more realistic about our player's capabilities and not get too carried away sometimes, that of course leads to the big depressing let down.

Will never lose interest in my country. Will always watch the games and take an interest in how our players are doing at club level.

Haven't been to a game since late 2012 as result of the high ticket prices and me needing to be more frugal with my cash than I was in the past.

I just wish that some of the fans (the press are a lost cause) would be slightly more realistic about our player's capabilities and not get too carried away sometimes, that of course leads to the big depressing let down.

A country with 5 million should be qualifying for euros. Especially when a country with 300,000 are. Gross roots set up is not right in this country.

San Marino for me.

I actually wrote to the SMFA to offer my services as the manager. My strategy outlined in the supporting statement was "i'd get the team really really drunk before each game and tell each man to do their best son"

Never got a response ^?^

Ha ha - reminds me of Craig Brown's story about his manager saying to him before he ran out on to the pitch: 'Mind, nothing fancy fae you son'. He was a left back though.

A country with 5 million should be qualifying for euros. Especially when a country with 300,000 are. Gross roots set up is not right in this country.

China has a population of 1,376,049,000 but probably won't be making an impact on international football anytime soon. We could play the "population game" all day.

What I was referring to was fans who grossly overestimate our current players abilities. The vocal crowd who think somehow that Alan Hutton, Steven Fletcher, Scott Brown, Steven Naismith etc are top quality players.

Good honest professionals that try their hardest for Scotland definitely - but top quality players ? Let's not kid ourselves on, they are not.

And also those who as I said a couple of weeks ago and will say yet again - who get all over excited and breathlessly report on the progress in reserve games (sitting on the bench) of young Scots listed in Premier League teams squads, only for them to go on loan to dead end lower league clubs, get released and drift into obscurity within the next eighteen months.

A bitter dose of reality is needed by some. Some people can take it but some can't.

China has a population of 1,376,049,000 but probably won't be making an impact on international football anytime soon. We could play the "population game" all day.

What I was referring to was fans who grossly overestimate our current players abilities. The vocal crowd who think somehow that Alan Hutton, Steven Fletcher, Scott Brown, Steven Naismith etc are top quality players.

Good honest professionals that try their hardest for Scotland definitely - but top quality players ? Let's not kid ourselves on, they are not.

And also those who as I said a couple of weeks ago and will say yet again - who get all over excited and breathlessly report on the progress in reserve games (sitting on the bench) of young Scots listed in Premier League teams squads, only for them to go on loan to dead end lower league clubs, get released and drift into obscurity within the next eighteen months.

A bitter dose of reality is needed by some. Some people can take it but some can't.

Well said.

I agree they are just good quality professionals, but I would say far more people accuse those guys in particular of being rubbish than being top class. It is also true people get excited about young scots without too much evidence but having a buzz about a potential starlet is what keeps us going. Plenty people spunk their pants about guys like Liam Palmer and Tom cairney too!!

This is the least enthusiastic I have been about Scotland in a long time. The Euros and going to be horrible. Thank feck I don't work in an office any more the piss taking down here on England might have tipped me over the edge and I could have gone postal on them all.

Same will never lose interest in Scotland until iam six foot under....

Started thread last night after a few sorry...

Can agree we are all pished off as the other teams around us have quailified...

What I originally started thread about was the fact that I have noticed that recently I have stopped checking my usual places for team news and gossip etc....and thought hey losing interest there after a few months u know....

China not comparable, iceland are because they are based in europe and therefore have to go through the same qualification groups.

They have invested heavily in grass roots football, every school has a all round weather football pitch for the youngsters. All coaching is done by qualified football coaches. Now they are reaping the rewards.

Goodluck to them and they are our inspiration.

China not comparable, iceland are because they are based in europe and therefore have to go through the same qualification groups.

They have invested heavily in grass roots football, every school has a all round weather football pitch for the youngsters. All coaching is done by qualified football coaches. Now they are reaping the rewards.

Goodluck to them and they are our inspiration.

You mentioned a country, I mentioned another. You wanted to do the pointless population comparison that just goes round and round in circles and provides an easy answer for everything.

Yes, we do need better youth development and should scrap the "good 'ole boys club" we have at Largs. However, we also need to focus on who we currently have and what to do with them.

Which brings me to my next point. Some fans are deluded and are convinced that players such as Brown, Hutton, Naismith, S Fletcher are brilliant footballers when in actual fact they are average and nothing special in the grand scheme of things.

People have to be realistic is what I'm saying.

I agree they are just good quality professionals, but I would say far more people accuse those guys in particular of being rubbish than being top class. It is also true people get excited about young scots without too much evidence but having a buzz about a potential starlet is what keeps us going. Plenty people spunk their pants about guys like Liam Palmer and Tom cairney too!!

Palmer and Cairney I freely confess to having touted and I think they will get involved in the next year or two :D . You are correct though in suggesting that they won't ever be knock out talents.

We've actually had posters on here claiming that Kyle Cameron and Ryan Fulton for example - youth team players for Newcastle and Liverpool who haven't even made their professional debuts yet - are "going all the way" ! This is exactly the kind of stupid, scatterbrained nonsense that I'm totally against. Just picking a couple of kids because they are at big clubs and then blindly pinning all our hopes on them.

Also whilst we're on the subject, I actually find it really sad that grown men can spend ages trawling through clubs youth team websites and the players twitter pages purely to find out every little bit of information about them and share it with us just because someone got called up for a friggin Scotland Under 17 training camp.

Your right in saying that having a youngster or two coming through makes it interesting but a wee bit of logic and understanding is needed, some just pick young Scots out at random and tout them to eternity.

Yes, the realisation that our players aren't that good has started to dawn upon some but cast your mind back to mid campaign, some people were going on as though we had already qualified and were talking about Brown and Naismith etc as though they were world beaters.

I prescribe an extra large enema of reality.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Hard for people to keep interest if our last match was in October and we still don`t know what if any matches will be played till next September. We could have played 2 matches in November and could play 5 (2 in March, 2 in May/June and 1 before Malta match) so 7 matches would certainly have kept interest among regular fans and created interest among new fans (play in Dundee or Kilmarnock for example or bigger stadiums again but with lots of free/very cheap tickets for kids/youth teams etc). For home matches for WC 18 we`ll only have a big crowd against England and for 2016 we were lucky to have big away supports against Poland, Germany and ROI ( wouldn`t have been sellouts against teams with smaller away supports) so ticket prices will be crucial.

Usually have some flights booked by this time but a combination of realism about our ability and ticket availability has

made me think twice.

Four pointers could be squeezed out of many games and I canna be bothered with the hassle of sourcing tickets.

I'm not losing interest, never will. Still hurts not qualifying as always.

I don't think there are many who actually lose interest in Scotland but the pull of spending into 1000s of pounds and all the other conitations of following the team get put into doubt

Nah, was a sore one after the Poland game, but felt worse after previous campaigns (the Euro 2008 campaign ending was a much harder one to let sink in).

Malta, Slovakia and England are all booked and already looking into plans and ideas for Lithuania and Slovenia.

Not expecting next campaign to be any more successful than the last one, but always that hope that it will be.

From an Irish perspective (however unwelcome that may be on here) ;) I think what makes it worse for yourselves is that all the national teams from Ireland and Britain qualified except yourselves. For us it would've been unbearable if Northern Ireland qualified and we didn't. Wales,Scotland and England would've been irrelevant to be honest.

As for losing interest in your national team. It depends if you're a bandwagoner/sunshine fan or the supporter who follows your country when they have a Craig Levein or our equivalent Steve Staunton in charge.

We were in the wilderness for 10 years before we poxed our way to the euros in 2012 and admittedly poxed our way in this campaign up to a point but the bottom line is like most on here we're both average 3rd tier European sides who'l.p. qualify for 1 out of 3 tournaments at best so we make the most of it by looking forward to the away games our countries both compete in and win lose or draw,the Irish and the Scots never let themselves down.

The first away game following your country and the absolute craic is something you'll never forget. How could anyone be put off following their country all over Europe 3/4 times a year?!