Rip Jimmy Hill - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rip Jimmy Hill

Billy 2 Boots

We didn't really hate you...did we? A football man through and through, Jimmy Hill always seemed to take the banter in good spirit.

Maybe an end of an era when the England-Scotland rivalry really meant something.

Always thought of the chant as a bit of banter after he discribed fave nareys goal against Brazil in Spain '82 as a toe poke.

Sorry to hear the big man has passed.

I was the one that published 36 translations of the Jimmy Hill song on what was the first ever tartan army web page away back in the 90s. Given the press hassle and countless articles in virtually every Scottish and UK national daily paper that occurred around the time (mid 1990s), not one member of the press has even called for a quote from me!!! ;-(

At the time, it was written up in some papers as a court case by Jimmy Hill against the tartan army although the reality was this was typical misleading UK mainstream journalism and it was actually a court case against Scottish Courage breweries - who ended up paying Jimmy Hill £30K to shake hands and kiss and make up over their rather inept press release about their sponsorship of the tartan army (which again was not quite correct)!!!

Like the story of him working as a commentator at a game when the linesman picked up an injury. No replacement was on duty so a call over the tannoy asking for a qualified ref from the crowd or game was to be abandoned.

After some time a track suited Mr Hill is running the line allowing the game to continue.

I'm talking about homophobic chanting by Scottish fans. Don't care about any other fans.

When was the last time you heard that? It's hardly had an outing in the last 20 years. It belongs to the 70s and 80s which were different times. Never a good idea to apply contemporary mores to the past.

Didn't know alot about Jimmy Hill untill the last few days bar the toe poke comment and the Jimmy Hill song I'm a bit too young

But fasinating to read some of the things he has done. And heard from people who have met him saying he was a really nice guy. And by all accounts took the song in good spirit. RIP

Edited by ScottyAlba